SIG P220 OWB Open Carry Holster

This is a discussion on SIG P220 OWB Open Carry Holster within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well guys- after going through several guns and refining my CCW list I am going to pick up a SIG P220 for open OWB carry ...

Thread: SIG P220 OWB Open Carry Holster

SIG P220 OWB Open Carry Holster

Well guys-

after going through several guns and refining my CCW list I am going to pick up a SIG P220 for open OWB carry here in the state of Virginia......

For what I think are obvious reasons I would like to pick up some kind of retention holster.....

Thumb break leather would be ok but I am interested in something I saw at a gun show a while back....it was a kydex OWB holster that had a "button" you pushed in where your trigger finder naturally lands to release your weapon the entire mechanism was internal (No strap over the rear of your gun).....seemed like a pretty slick set up to me, anyone know how makes something like this?

Any other info or input on OWB holster that are suited for open carry would be appreciated.

Thanks for the help guys......

Josh

2. Remove Ads

With a Good leather holster You don't need a Retention device.
    Check out the Slide Guard from High Noon It's molded Tight And draws Easy. If you don't want it out it's not coming Out.

Close Up Slide Guard Black
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

1943 - 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by JCook5003 View Post
    Thumb break leather would be ok but I am interested in something I saw at a gun show a while back....it was a kydex OWB holster that had a "button" you pushed in where your trigger finder naturally lands to release your weapon the entire mechanism was internal (No strap over the rear of your gun).....seemed like a pretty slick set up to me, anyone know how makes something like this?
    Josh
    That would be the Blackhawk SERPA holster.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Administrator

RSR Defense also makes one for the 220 but, I'd prolly stick with the BlackHawk...since I've never actually seen or handled a RSR. Just presented as a FYI. Also looks like they are paddle only.
    Here is their web site.
    RSR Defense - Home

I just noticed them recently being sold on Ebay by a seller from Israel. Price is $20.00+ Some Spare Change & $9.00 Shipping

Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

VIP Member
    Get leather not plastic... it'll fit closer to your body and it's much kinder to your weapon.

I use a Galco Concealable and like it a lot. Anything Milt Sparks makes is better than nice! Also, the Kramer Belt Scabbard is another very good choice. You might check out UBG Holsters... that guy is good too!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Bianchi Carry Lok

Bianchi makes a leather belt holster with retention device called the Carry Lok:

Bianchi Carry Lok holster

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JCook5003 View Post
    I saw at a gun show a while back....it was a kydex OWB holster that had a "button" you pushed in where your trigger finder naturally lands to release your weapon the entire mechanism was internal
    I might be bias as I prefer leather -- albeit I own some plastic. If you want "retention" just to keep from dropping the weapon, I'm not so sure it is needed. OTOH, if it is to keep a BG from grabbing and pulling your weapon, you might want to look at some of the "Triple Retention" rigs used by LEOs.

The "where your trigger finder naturally lands" bothers me on some I've seen.

IMHO, I don't want to be pressing down with my trigger finger too close to where the trigger will be when the trigger and trigger guard clears the holster. With RSR Defense & BlackHawk the "button" is well above the trigger.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

De Santis is reasonable. This one has a tension adjustment.

I do have a couple of worthy belts now since this pic was taken.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Crunch View Post
    That would be the Blackhawk SERPA holster.
    I agree with Captain Crunch.

Personally, I prefer leather, and Don Hume makes a great inexpensive holster - check out H721 O.T.: Open Top
    Be Observant and Be Safe.

Current: S&W 442, Springfield XD9sc, XDm9, and Glock G26, G19, G23C,
    and SIG P226-40 TT, and Ruger GP-100, and Beretta 92FS
    Former: Taurus 92SS, SIG P220 TT, S&W 360, SIG P239-40, Ruger 22/45 MKII

The SERPA is dangerous on a level and stupid on another.

It's led to negligent discharges from (trained) people actuating the release while drawing, and their fingers entering the trigger guard as the gun clears the holster. (See DaveH's logical conclusion above...)

It's stupid to have a holster where dirt/tiny rocks can jam the mechanism and make it impossible to draw.

I do understand your desire for retention on an openly-carried pistol, however. I save open-tops for CCW only (and they're all I use for it).

I recommend the Safariland 6004-type holster for open carry; seen them dragged through hell and they've never failed to operate. They make a belt model which might fit your wants/needs. Any basic leather thumb-break holster isn't a bad idea, either.

Links