Anyone used the Clipdraw?

This is a discussion on Anyone used the Clipdraw? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; CLIPDRAW...For Secure Carry Without a Holster Anyone have any experience with this?...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

CLIPDRAW...For Secure Carry Without a Holster

Anyone have any experience with this?
    Attached Images

Administrator
    I have one on a M36 and KelTecs version on e P32 it works well, but a holster is a much better method IMO.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Member Array HowardCohodas's Avatar
    I primarily carry in a SmartCarry. However, I also have a Clipdraw for use when driving in neighborhoods where quicker access eases my mind. I also find it easier for one-handed reholstering then replacing it in the SmartCarry. I'm not as slim as I once was.
    Howard
    I carry a gun because I can't carry a cop!!
    Politically Incorrect Self Defense

So it really is safe?! I pictures this is something that would make me feel uncomfortable since the trigger guard is not really protected..Don't know but I would prefer a good holster..but nice to see that it actually works..would be a nice way to try inside carry..

Quote Originally Posted by Daniella View Post
    So it really is safe?! I pictures this is something that would make me feel uncomfortable since the trigger guard is not really protected..Don't know but I would prefer a good holster..but nice to see that it actually works..would be a nice way to try inside carry..
    Let me be clear. I would prefer a holster as well. ClipDraw is an expedient when necessary.

The trigger is protected by my pants/belt on one side and by my body/shirt on the other. Someone suggested that I should be concerned by a shirt bunch getting into the trigger guard. I've tried and tried and have not been able to make this happen. If your weapon has a manual safety (mine does not) that may alievate some concern.

If you are not comfortable and confident with your carry method than you are not likely to carry. So your search for comfort and confidence is exactly on target.
    Howard

I can't like it. I would want something more substantial than light clothing to cover the trigger guard. If you're looking for a pocket-sized pistol, I'd suggest a good pocket holster.

-JT

VIP Member
    I know there are those who like the Clip Draw but I for one prefer a holster that covers the trigger and would never use a Clip Draw, it's too much like "Mexican Carry" to me and a compromise of safety, especially with a Glock.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

What kind of gun are you thinking of using it with? I've got the similar keltec clip with my .380, and it works ok. Not worried about a discharge once it's in place, but a holster sure is easier to draw from and helps keep lint out. I use it when I need to REALLY minimize any chance of printing, but I also prefer a holster.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

If any, I was thinking about the Kimber full size..

Administrator
    I wouldnt... way to heavy and bulky to carry like this IMO, no matter frame size or weight.
    "Just blame Sixto"

With a Clipdraw. Bad juju. Full-size 1911 with a full mag? At best, your pants would keep falling

Why are you looking at that for a 1911, rather than a proper holster?

-JT

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    I used one ( not sure it was a clipdraw ) in the 80s It was a " chrome " panel that set under the right grip of a 1911 with the clip running forward and ending just shy of the slide stop . It worked ok i guess but i eventually either pitched it or gave it away because frankly it just wasnt as secure as i wanted for my off duty pistol . Consider tho that back then i pretty much considered anything less than a thumbsnap holster pretty insecure for what i was doing at the time , and to a degree still do for LE uses .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

I carry my G27 with a clipdraw. It's the most comfortable IWB carry for me. I can switch it between appendix and 3:00 in a snap and it's very secure. I have become comfortable with it, some (probably many) don't agree with it. I do think that a full size handgun might not be the best option for a clipdraw.

I think it's funny how clipdraws usually get flamed but Barami Hip grips and KelTec clips are OK.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    I think it's funny how clipdraws usually get flamed but Barami Hip grips and KelTec clips are OK.
    LOL too true , none suit me , however i have been in a scuffle armed ( the only gun in the fight i brought lol ) . I will now wear some open topped holsters , as an le i insisted on retention device , and at the time and my budget that was a thumbsnap . Its so ingrained that when i draw i " pop the snap " as i acquire my grip . Its much the same that as i present a pistol i wipe the safety on a 1911 and i dont care if its my p7 or kahr the thumb still flexes when i come on target .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

For me, the inexpensive cost of the universal for my M&P ($20) made it a no-brainer to give it a try. Even though I use it less than 10% of the time, I leave it on. It serves the purpose I mentioned above.
    Howard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links