Rusty Sherrick High Ride

This is a discussion on Rusty Sherrick High Ride within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; What think ye on the Rusty Sherrick High Ride holster? Untitled Document I've tried so hard to get used to IWB holsters...but just cannot get ...

Thread: Rusty Sherrick High Ride

Rusty Sherrick High Ride

What think ye on the Rusty Sherrick High Ride holster?

Untitled Document

I've tried so hard to get used to IWB holsters...but just cannot get used to them.

I'm so lucky living in Washington State where one can wear jackets, vests, sport coats almost 3/4 of the year.

Untitled Document

Untitled Document

Thus, I decided to get good quality, high ride holsters. Anybody have any Sherrick holsters? Feedback....

2. Remove Ads

I'm also looking at the Rusty Sherrick High Ride holster. There was one on ebay a couple of months ago but I lost the bidding. I can see why you would be interested in this holster since you don't care for IWB - The holster sits up high above the belt.

Well, I guess we both will see if anyone has one of these and hopefully get some feedback.
    SA EMP ~ Sig P232s ~ Walther PP ~ Makarov ~ S&W 442 ~ Ruger LCP
    HK USP Compact ~ HK P2000sk ~ RIA Tactical ~ FN Hi-Power ~ Sig GSR C3

High ride is great if you are obese or have a long-barreled handgun - such as full size 1911 (5 inch barrel or more). They ride high so when you sit down the muzzle doesn't hit the chair. In some ways they are more comfortable.

The downside is the stock of the pistol does not hug the body quite as tightly, and when you bend your body the end of the stock will protrude more conspicuously because it is a further distance from the base of the spine. It is a less concealable holster. It wobbles more when you move, makes running difficult, and it's top-heaviness will make it want to flip upside down when you do things like loosen your pants during trips to the men's room.

If there is a compelling reason to go high-ride, then by all means. But, if you have a relatively normal body-type, and the barrel of your carry piece is less than 4 inches, then probably the high ride is not needed - unless this is a third or fourth holster for the same gun and you are giving yourself more choices.

Just my .02. Rusty makes fine, handcrafted holsters that you will enjoy for years and will be proud to wear. He has many models to fit every need.

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar
    I prefer a holster where the muzzle of the gun clears the holster about the top of the belt. Sparks I-BAK, and the Brommeland Def_Con are such holsters. High ride holsters take about another inch to clear.

I agree that the high ride holsters make it more difficult for the gun to be held close to the body, but with a good belt, and tight that can be done.

My other objection to the high ride is the amount of shoulder "lift" necessary to draw the gun. As we get older we do not have the flexibility we once did.

I have not found that the low ride holsters I mentioned are difficult to conceal. I normally wear a shirt with the tail outside the pants. On Sunday I wear a coat.

Rusty Sherrick's, holsters look great, but I have not used one.

Regards,
    Jerry

lance22:

How odd, I've heard just the opposite from those that have high ride holsters. Sherrick designed his for/with the help of FBI and special operation agents who wanted to conceal under sweaters, sweatshirts, etc.

Well...I, for one am not obese but I wish to conceal under the above circumstances. My regular holsters will give me away if I squat, sit, etc.

Here is an example of a very firm Sherrick holster for a high carried Glock 26:

I want high rides for these weapons:

The Cougar has a large butt/grip since it holds 15 rounds.

I have a couple high rides, also. My favorite is my HBE Com III that picked up about four years ago. Fine holster.

As for my opinions regarding why high-rides were first developed, and their relative strengths and weaknesses - take it with a grain of salt you know how opinions are

Like your friends, I also sometimes choose a high-ride if I'm wearing a sweater, the garment is less likely to creep up over the top of the stocks with a high ride.

All holsters are choices. Everybody should own a high ride because they offer something distinct from other ride-types - and the clothes you wear on a given day make a huge difference as to which holster is the better choice for a given day.

My .02 (with the deflated dollar, actually now .078).

[THREAD HIJACK]
    Does your wife ever shoot your Cougar? I"m thinking about taking my wife shopping .... opinions ??

Senior Member Array torrejon224's Avatar
    I had one and just sold it a few weeks ago. It was for my Commander and definitely a high rise. Mine also had an optional FBI cant added. The only issue I had with it was that with a commander the grip tended to pull away from the body. It's a great rig but I feel it works best with a lightweight gun or a small wheelgun.

lance22: While my wife does many things well...she is not into weapons. such a shame but it is how it is. If she was...she'd love the cougar...got to tell you, it is a fine shooting, low recoil, accurate weapon. The grip, while I do appreciate the 15 rounds it carries, seems a bit too large for carry though.

torrejon224: You know...you are right on the money about the high rise being a good rig for a lightweight wheelgun. I think it probably made sense with the guy carrying the Glock 26...especially since it has the long slide and short grip. Having the G26 in the vertical holster would also lend it to "side-saddle" carry as well as 2 oclock carry. Hmmm...I like that holster so much, I might just buy a Glock 26 just so I can use that holster. What do you think? Isn't that a sweet rig...I mean the G26 and that high ride holster?

Links