DiSantis Thumb Break Holster or Gould and Goodrich Three Slot Pancake?

This is a discussion on DiSantis Thumb Break Holster or Gould and Goodrich Three Slot Pancake? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a Beretta Px4 Storm and anyone who has one will know your options are limited when it comes to holster selection. I just ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DiSantis Thumb Break Holster or Gould and Goodrich Three Slot Pancake?

I have a Beretta Px4 Storm and anyone who has one will know your options are limited when it comes to holster selection. I just completed my CHL class here in Texas on Wednesday and am looking for a concealment holster. A few weeks ago I ordered a Safariland 6377 and it should have shipped yesterday. That's what they told me when I called to ask. The problem is I don't know if it will be good enough for concealed carry of my fairly large Beretta Px4. I'm a pretty big guy and tried to hide my gun using one of those crappy nylon holsters with the mag pouch swen in the front and I couldn't get it to a point where I didn't see the print. I know the gun is big but can't afford a smaller gun for now and I heard those fanny pack holsters suck so I'm thinking about either a DiSantis Thumb Break Holster or a Gould and Goodrich Three Slot Pancake. They're both about the same price but the DiSantis has a tension screw. It'll be at least a month before I get my license but as I said, it'll take a while for me to get a decent holster so I want to order one ASAP. Does anyone have any ideas, suggestions or input? I was also thinking about the Fobus Evolution but not sure if the tension screw would be enough to hold the gun in the holster while I'm riding my motorcycle.

Also, is a special belt really needed for concealed carry? I've seen belts that look like every day belts but they want over $100 for them. I use a 2" wide piece of nylon webbing with a plastic snap buckle for every day use and I can make it very tight. Do I have to spend $100 for a belt just for concealed carry? And if so, why? What advantages will there be?
    It is to be observed that Right of Self-Defence, arises directly and immediately from the Care of our own Preservation, which Nature recommends to every one. . . , and that this right is so primary, that it cannot be denied on the basis that it is not "expressly set forth.

--- Hugo Grotius

Lead Moderator
    I went with a G&G IWB . Its a nice holster , but Desantis might be o.k.(never owned one). A strong/stiff belt helps distribute the weight of the gun better , keeps the holster in place and will work much better than a light /flexible belt.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Senior Member Array bluelineman's Avatar
    For an inexpensive belt I'd go with a Wilderness Instructors belt, 1 1/2", 5 stitch model. Wilderness Tactical Products, LLC. They are about $40. They can be had with an internal polymer stiffener if needed. The only problem with mine is stuff has a tendency to slide around on the belt. I ordered a horsehide Beltman a week ago. The Belt Man I'm guessing that I'll like it like everybody else does theirs. It was about $100 shipped. For a gun belt, you need something that is thick & will hold up your rig. My Dad does not use one & his pants sag as he carries a Glock 23 + 2 extra mags. You get what you pay for. They help support the rig & make it not feel as heavy as a single layer (store bought) belt.

That Safariland is very low riding OWB holster. You will likely have a hard time concealing it IMO. For OWB I'd try a Don Hume H721OT. The cheapest place is Gunners Alley. Don Hume H721 OT I would avoid a thumb break. I find them unnecessary. They slow things down too much. A well made holster will have good enough retention without one. I feel that thumb breaks are good for Detectives who open carry & have a potential for a bad guy to disarm them. If you're still not comfortable without one, try a Bianchi Carry Lok holster. Bianchi CarryLok

For IWB, I'd look at UBG. UBG Holsters. I'd also check out High Noon Holsters High Noon Holsters.

I would avoid paddle holsters. They are very easy for someone to disarm you by pulling the whole rig off your pants. They also do not usually conceal well. Also, IMO, Fobus is crap. If you want plastic, think Kydex. I prefer leather myself, but COMPTAC (CTAC, MTAC) & SIDEARMOR make good kydex stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by bluelineman View Post
    I would avoid a thumb break. I find them unnecessary. They slow things down too much. A well made holster will have good enough retention without one. I feel that thumb breaks are good for Detectives who open carry & have a potential for a bad guy to disarm them. If you're still not comfortable without one, try a Bianchi Carry Lok holster. Bianchi CarryLok
    Per my dept. guidelines, I have to have active retention in any off-duty holster. Thumb breaks in a well-designed holster do not slow a draw too much, IMO. A thumb break holster is not good for open carry IMO as it is a simple operation to disarm someone who uses a thumb-break holster for open carry. I would use something like the Bianchi Carrylok or the Blackhawk Serpa holster before using any other OWB holster.
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

Thanks for your opinions on holster selection. But no one (except for Rocky) still has answered my question. The Beretta Px4 doesn't have a lot of companies making holsters for it: Bianchi and Blackhawk are just two that don't. I want a thumb break because I only own a motorcycle (no car) so I want that extra retention so the gun doesn't fall out when I'm doing 70 on the highway and I hit a bump. I'd rather not get an IWB because I'm a big guy and my pants are snug as it is. I figured the Safariland would ride too low but they assured me it was made for concealed carry and rides at a medium height. If it doesn't work, I could always use it at the range and at home so no loss really. I was told a pancake holster is the best choice for OWB concealment. That's why I narrowed it down to the G&G and the DeSantis. The DeSantis can be ordered with a suede lining, which will not wear out the finish on the slide so I'm leaning that way. Both can be rdered left or right handed and since I can shoot either way, I figured I'd order a left handed model since I could grab it in an emergency if I'm riding, at least a lot quicker than a right handed holster.

I'd love to get a Blackhawk Serpa but who knows when they'll make one for my Px4. The Safariland has a nice retention system from what I''ve seen on their website and the Fobus just looks cheap but they are in stock for the Px4 and aren't much money. UBG, Don Hume and High Noon don't seem to do anything for me. Paddle holsters for some reason just don't look secure. It looks like to me they'll be flopping around all over the place no matter how tigh my belt is.

Does anyone esle have any opinions on the DeSantis or the G&G?
    It is to be observed that Right of Self-Defence, arises directly and immediately from the Care of our own Preservation, which Nature recommends to every one. . . , and that this right is so primary, that it cannot be denied on the basis that it is not "expressly set forth.

--- Hugo Grotius

The Desantis is made well overall, but the button can scuff your pistol on the draw. If careful and not using it for repetitive drawing, should be fine.

Lead Moderator
    For what it's worth . I used to use a 3 slot thumb break holster (Strong) for my HK USP till I upgraded to a BH Serpa. any decent 3 slot should work well to conceal under a long t shirt (depending on body type) . I think you will find a 3 slot will give you a high ride holster or a slightly lower canted carry. My holster did tend to scratch the finish slightly after many draw strokes.(but hey, its a carry gun).
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Thanks. The DiSantis is the way I'm leaning dude to the optional suede lining. That adds $16 and three weeks to the ship date though but I'm not in a rush.

Someone told me if I opt for a leather holster, I should keep the gun's slide oiled well so the oil will soak into the leather and reduce the amount of wear on the slide. Is this true?

--- Hugo Grotius

Lead Moderator
    Not so sure about that. I would rather not have oil (at least large amounts soaking into my holster). I think you will get some honest holster wear on your gun, but heck its made to carry not look pretty.
    Also suede lining is considered a dirt collector. I have never owned a suede lined holster , but it seems most of the high end custom holsters do not come lined either.

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Hmm, you've gave me something to think about now.

Choices, choices:

--- Hugo Grotius

Senior Member Array bluelineman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nativenyerintexas View Post
    Someone told me if I opt for a leather holster, I should keep the gun's slide oiled well so the oil will soak into the leather and reduce the amount of wear on the slide. Is this true?
    I would contact the holster maker for advice on that one.

I think that any gun riding in a holster for long enough is going to show some kind of wear after a while.

Kydex may wear less in the long run if you are concerned about it. Maybe somebody that's had a kydex holster for a while can chime in about this. Or maybe a leather holster with the smooth side in.

Thanks for the suggestion.

--- Hugo Grotius

I thought I'd give an update to what I decided, at temporarily. Yesterday I asked about a good holster at the range I go to and they suggested a WRB so this is the one I bought: In The Pants Holster / Under Shirt. I put it on today inside my pants on the right toward the rear and I couldn't see the gun. Just a slight bump in my shirt but that's only because I knew what it was. I also tried in the small of my back and the same thing. For $24 and the fact it's guaranteed for life... I think I made a good first choice. Now all I have to do is wait for the form to come in from Tx DPS, mail it in a get my license.

--- Hugo Grotius

Lead Moderator
    Not to rain on your choice but you get what you pay for. The holster has no retention and will probably rock forward and back during wearing it. It may be O.K. , but a better holster will definitely work better and last a lifetime.
    Hope that holster will work for you for now,maybe try wearing it around the house when ever possible to see how well it works out before venturing out.

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Yeah, I hear that. I plan on wearing it around the house to see how it works but it really seemed nice and tight. One of the guy's at the range uses this exact holster for years carrying a 1911 with no problems. Come to think of it, most of the people that work at this range use them and swear by them for everything from Glocks to Sigs and full size 1911s. I might see if I can get one with the thumb break though but they didn't have one of those in stock. This one wouldn't budge wearing it in front of the mirror as I mad esure my belt was tight enough. I was able to cant it forward a little though and that made it harder to see but I couldn't move it too much. I just ordered some 2" tubular webbing (for rock climbing) so i can try to make a belt using that. Right now my belt is every day 2" nylon webbing and it doesn't move at all, no matter how tight or loose. It might make a difference while carrying but I can't see how. I can tighten the belt as much or as little as I want and the webbing is ribbed so it won't slide. In fact, it's made to not slide, and nylon is a lot cheaper than leather. The 2" tubular webbing has a strength of about 8,000 pounds. Remember also, the holster is gauranteed for life. Anything goes wrong, it'll be repaired or replaced free of charge. I'd hate to be another one of those people who has six or seven holsters in their safe because they kept buying one after another looking for the one that works best... and paying an arm and a leg for each one and waiting months and months to get them. This was readily available and was cheap. If it doesn't work in the long run, I wasted $24. I can't see myself using it in the small of my back because the back pad I have on the motorcycle seat would make it very uncomfortable, IWB seems that's the best way to carry this one. Thanks for the suggestions though on what to look out for.

--- Hugo Grotius

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links