Looking for Quality S&W M&P .45 Holster

This is a discussion on Looking for Quality S&W M&P .45 Holster within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I hope to be looking for a good quality holster for an S&W .45 by the end of next week. [NOT interested in the commercial ...

Thread: Looking for Quality S&W M&P .45 Holster

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar

Looking for Quality S&W M&P .45 Holster

I hope to be looking for a good quality holster for an S&W .45 by the end of next week. [NOT interested in the commercial junk that is readily available for most guns.]

So, I’m looking for some recommendations, based on the following parameters:

- OWB pancake that rides high enough NOT to get caught under my ballistic vest. [NOTE: Gary Brommeland’s holster for the 1911 is great in this regard, many pancake holsters don’t work well with vests.]
    - IWB that also won’t try to get under the ballistic vest. [Buying two holsters is OK]
    - I can’t afford a 20-30 week wait, although 4-6 weeks is acceptable. It’ll take me that long to break it in and get comfortable/confident with it as a carry gun.
    - No thumbbreak. Both must have sweat shields.
    - MUST be able to re-holster with one hand. Non-collapsible opening.
    - Comfortable on a slightly pear-shaped 190#, 5’8” guy!

Most mfrs are only listing the M&P 9/40 or they simply list “M&P” which means the same models. The M&P .45 is wider and needs a different design holster for a proper fit.

Based on my 1911, the holsters that work for me are my Brommeland pancake and my Milt Sparks Summer Special 2. Coal Creek Armory doesn’t list any M&P .45 Brommeland holsters and Brownells doesn’t carry the Milt Sparks SS2 for the M&P .45 either.

I’m intrigued by the Bluegrass Holster Convertible model, but would like to read some unbiased reviews of this or his other products. I know he’s a forum sponsor and I have 4 pages of a thread to read on his holsters.

Any unbiased input greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by LenS; April 27th, 2008 at 01:30 AM. Reason: Add Sweat shield requirement

2. Remove Ads

check out mp-pistol.com. The 45 is the same width, unless you have the manual safety.

In our holsters the 45 is its own size. Its longer then the 9,40 MP's.
    The 45 has a 4.50 barrel and the 9,40 has a 4.25 barrel. The 45 is also slighty thicker.

Take Care
    Justin
    High Noon Holsters
    www.HighNoonHolsters.com

Member Array Bluegrass Holsters's Avatar
    Hi LenS....

You are right that the difference in the M&P 45 are enough to need a different holster from those designed around the 9/40. This being said though there are TWO current slide lengths of .45s in the S&W M&P lineup....a 4.0 inch and the 4.5inch model. The only models available to holster makers that I am aware of is the longer model...and this is what I have in stock. I would be happy to create one that is shorter if that is the model you own.

Thank you for the kind words, and although I am somewhat biased, you cannot go wrong with my leather and prices. Let me know if I can answer any questions. If you PM me your number I will be happy to contact you at your convenience.

Take care....oh, and here for your pleasure are a couple photos of detail molding around another M&P, though this one is a 9mm:

Kevin at K&D holsters does great work.
    Lists the M&P but does not specifically say for the 45.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

I don't yet have the gun in-hand and honestly don't know which model I'll end up with . . . it depends what LE model the distributor has in stock when the dealer contacts him on Monday.

Objective is to pick it up by Wednesday to be eligible for the 2 free mags and $50 rebate. If the dealer/distributor can't meet that date, the purchase goes "on hold" until a later time.

According to S&W (on last Thursday), the mid-size .45 has just started to ship.

The model I asked for is with the thumb safety, but if that isn't available . . .

M&P .45s just became legally salable to LEOs only in my state ~1 month ago, so availability is sketchy at this time. I probably could have received a much better deal by going out to the distributor our PD obtained their M&P .45s from ~2 months ago, but the 300 mile RT would negate any savings with the current cost of driving.

I will be checking out the M&P forum and once I have an M&P in-hand, I will contact Brock, thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by miklcolt45 View Post
    Kevin at K&D holsters does great work.
    Lists the M&P but does not specifically say for the 45.
    Mike, with 99% certainty that is an indication that he's only making 9/40 models. The .45 model was "denied" by S&W for >1 year after the 9/40 models hit the street, so many accessory suppliers just used "shorthand" in their catalog sheets. Now that the .45 is out, this just creates confusion, but many suppliers have not corrected their sales literature.

I am not sure how you can say that.

I would email Kevin to see.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

I'm pretty happy with my two holsters from highnoon, small, quality and cheap.

I would also suggest that you consider K&D Holsters. Kevin made a Cochise Defender for my M&P .40c and I have never owned a better holster. It is top drawer and Kevin was great to deal with. Here are a few pics of mine.

Ron

Shine on...
    S&W M&P 9c
    S&W 9 Shield
    Taurus Raging Bull .454 Casull
    S&W M&P15 Sport;
    Mossberg 590A1

Links