Slimline Workman....Initial impressions.

This is a discussion on Slimline Workman....Initial impressions. within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The Mitch Rosen Slimline Wokman I ordered for my Kimber Tactical Ultra arrived earlier this week, Ten days prior to the promised-by date. It's my ...

Thread: Slimline Workman....Initial impressions.

Slimline Workman....Initial impressions.

The Mitch Rosen Slimline Wokman I ordered for my Kimber Tactical Ultra arrived earlier this week, Ten days prior to the promised-by date. It's my first coscealment holster, so I don't have a lot of basis for comparrison. It appears very well made, was very tight, and had a jelatinous substance called Leather Linghning smeared all over the interior surface. It took several hours of practice drawing to loosen up appreciably, wich did put some noticable wear on my new guns finish. I've worn it several times now, and it conseals effectively and is reasonably comfortable, though not quite as comfortable as I had hoped it would be, given the reputation and price.

2. Remove Ads

Good looking rig. Looks like it carries well.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Great to see a review of a Mitch Rosen product here. From the pictures you provide, it looks to conceal very well - especially since, as "tuckable" guns go, that's not the tiniest gun in the world that you're hiding.

But it seems to conceal well, probably due in no small part to what is, for me, one of the most attractive features of Mitch's IWB holsters: the very aggressive cant. It's encouraging to see that he realizes how important the gun's angle of carry is when trying to conceal.

Regrettably, many other holster makers seem not to care so much about this issue. Now, if you're dealing with a true custom maker who will allow you to specify exactly the cant you desire, it's not a problem; but there are some "semi-custom" makers out there who simply offer a standard model with a pre-determined cant that is, at least for smaller people, inadequate for effective concealment. I think that if a maker is not going to provide the customer with the option of specifying the cant, then the default cant should be sufficiently aggressive to satisfy the most stringent concealment needs that can reasonably be anticipated. That is, the holster specs should be tailored around a "worst case scenario" of a small person trying to conceal a rather large gun. Of course, they can't accomodate everybody, but I think that offering a belt holster model that has a default cant of only, say, 10 degrees, is really off-putting to many people. Give it a good 25 or more degrees. Nothing extreme, but just generous.

Yup, I'm rambling again.

A while ago, I was considering getting a Slim-line ARG for a J-frame. I may still do so. After waiting nearly two years for a holster from another custom maker, the reports I hear of Rosen's consistently accurately estimated waiting times are whetting my appetite once again. Would you mind telling me what your wait was?

Once again, the holster looks great. Congrats.

So are the pics of you wearing it from a mirror?? as it looks like you have a RH holster on your left side????

Nice holster by the way...

Quote Originally Posted by Prdator View Post
    So are the pics of you wearing it from a mirror?? as it looks like you have a RH holster on your left side????

Look at the Dickies logo - that will give you your answer.

Administrator
    If your gun is not showing holster wear then you're not practicing your draw nearly enough.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

To each their own. Mitch Rosen's Workman isn't my favorite holster. I prefer a belt holster or IWB with a cover garment. Let us know how your Workman is after a few weeks use. Regards, Richard

My Workman:

Fantastic looking Kimber and Slim Workman. Great Combo you got there! Rosen is pricey but his work is impressive and delivery is fairly quick compared to some other craftsman.

Quote Originally Posted by Prdator View Post

Thanks, and yes, it's a bathroom mirror.

Quote Originally Posted by richardoldfield View Post
    To each their own. Mitch Rosen's Workman isn't my favorite holster. I prefer a belt holster or IWB with a cover garment. Let us know how your Workman is after a few weeks use. Regards, Richard

My Workman:
    I can understand why, as I said, it's not quite everything I'd hoped it would be, but it does work, and will do for now. As I said this is my first consealment holster, and I'm sure I'll eventually try out other options.

Quote Originally Posted by Piglet View Post
    A while ago, I was considering getting a Slim-line ARG for a J-frame. I may still do so. After waiting nearly two years for a holster from another custom maker, the reports I hear of Rosen's consistently accurately estimated waiting times are whetting my appetite once again. Would you mind telling me what your wait was?

Once again, the holster looks great. Congrats.
    I ordered it March 4, it was promised by, May 10, and I recieved it April 23.

For the tuckable option at a VERY reasonable price my vote usually goes to Crossbreed's SuperTuck. It's super comfortable and has an adustable cant. But as far as leather holsters go, that one's very pretty and looks like a solid design. I like the easy on and off snap. I suggest playing around with placement, 3:00 may not feel the best, but 3:45 might be just perfect.
    Mine: Glock 36............Wife's: Ruger SP101 3"
    -------Ruger SR9....................Ruger SR9c
    -------S&W SW99 .45.............Charter Arms Undercover

Hidden Defense - Personal gun & holster designs/reviews.

I've been looking at "The Workman" for several years as a tuckable. I went with a "Max-Con" IWB instead for my first custom holster. Been real happy with the "Max-Con" but still interested in a tuckable someday.

Please start a new thread in a few months for a follow-up report after it has been thoroughly broken in.

I must say "The Workman" looks really nice and from the pics, does an excellent job at concealment. It will usually take a few months of breaking in to decide on it's long term wear ability though.

Thanks for the report and the pictures! Looks good so far!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Nice looking holster. This is what I've been looking at getting for a while now to use with my Kahr K9. I'm thinking of springing for the slimline version though. I'm a bit hesitant on plopping down $240 on a holster without asking a few questions though.. How much thickness does this holster add to your overall gun placement? Does it have a steel reinforced lip?

Links