Tucker "Cover up" review...lots of pics

This is a discussion on Tucker "Cover up" review...lots of pics within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A while back I decided I wanted to give "appendix carry" (A-IWB) a try. For those not familiar with this method/placement, basically you carry the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tucker "Cover up" review...lots of pics

Tucker "Cover up" review...lots of pics

A while back I decided I wanted to give "appendix carry" (A-IWB) a try. For those not familiar with this method/placement, basically you carry the weapon just to the side of the belt buckle (about 1:00 for me since I'm right-handed). The rationale here is that by placing the weapon on your centerline, it will be quicker to access and also enable you to draw the weapon from positions that are more difficult when carring in the traditional manner (i.e. sitting in the car, fighting on the ground or when "clinched up" with someone).

I had a hard time finding a holster that I thought would work well for me. Those that others recommended were either too bulky or just didn't perform the way I wanted them to.

Then about 3 months ago, I found out about the Tucker "Cover Up" while reading a thread on TPI. A member on that forum had purchased one for his Glock and one for a J-frame and said that they both worked very well. After looking at one online I liked the design and decided that this might be what I was looking for.

I received mine about a month ago and have been carrying with it for much of the time since. After the first week or so, I got over the "my pistol is in a different place and feels weird" feeling and have actually become very comfortable with this method of carry.

As I said above, it is much easier to draw the pistol when seated (either in the car or in a restaurant booth, etc.) due to its placement on the centerline. In testing it alongside my Milt Sparks Summer Special, I've found that I'm able to get the gun into action faster. This is due to the fact that there is less joint-articulation required to draw a weapon placed on or near the centerline than for a weapon carried behind the hip (4-5:00) as most IWB rigs are used.

Anyway, about the holster itself...

The thing that sold me on the design is that it is well-constructed while still being very "minimalist." There is no unnecessary material that would interfere with it's ability to function well in the A-IWB role. For example, as you can see from the photos, the bottom of the trigger guard is not covered as it is with many designs including the SSII also pictured. Also, note the absence of the stabilizing "wing" seen on the SSII. While this is a nice feature to have, when utilizing the holster in the A-IWB role, less is more. I find that any lack of stability that you might experience with this holster when carrying the pistol in the traditional 4:00 position is eliminated when carrying it on the centerline.

Comparison of the Cover Up and the Summer Special II (Cover up is on top in each photo)

bottom of holsters

back

The clip that is used is adjustable for both ride-height and cant and allows a little "flex" so that the weapon can move with you. This is nice given the location (getting poked in the "sensitive areas" is not fun). I tried a Blade-tech "Universal" for this role and was not pleased with the results. The placement of the clip also reduces bulk. This is especially true when carrying a revolver as the clip attachment point is below the cylinder bulge.
    The clip is also nice because you don't have to thread your belt through a set of belt-loops or fiddle with snaps. It just slips on and off but is still secure due to the design of the clip (there are several other designs also available).

some pics of me wearing it and the begining of the drawstroke.

Overall, I'm extremely pleased with this holster. Once you get used to it, it's very comfortable and allows for excellent concealment. As I won't be able to carry A-IWB if I have to have my shirt tucked in, I won't be letting my SSII get too far away. However, for casual wear, I think the Cover Up is a keeper.

Link to Cover Up
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

2. Remove Ads

Thumbs up

While I could have lived without the "fuzzy navel" shots, and bearing in mind that I don't care for a muzzle being pointed in the general vicinity of "Mr Friendly", I do get your point. I also applaud your reasoning and contemplation of your personal carry choice.

Unquestionably, the Cover Up provides a sturdy and better solution for those who want a minimalist design. At the same time it doesn't suffer from the bulk of the Milt Sparks SS, it also affords greater versitility and adjustability. Not to mention, tuck-ability.

Good review.
    "Happiness, is a warm gun" -St. John of Liverpool

Proud to be an infidel.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KenpoTex View Post
    The rationale here is that by placing the weapon on your centerline, it will be quicker to access and also enable you to draw the weapon from positions that are more difficult when carring in the traditional manner (i.e. sitting in the car, fighting on the ground or when "clinched up" with someone).
    Good write-up!

Glad it works for you.

However, for those of us with any degree of "Do-Lap", drawing from an "appendix carry" in the sitting position is a challenge.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Can you post pictures with the Cover-Up actually tucked & covered up? I'd like to know how well it hides the butt of that Glock while tucked.
    Mine: Glock 36............Wife's: Ruger SP101 3"
    -------Ruger SR9....................Ruger SR9c
    -------S&W SW99 .45.............Charter Arms Undercover

Hidden Defense - Personal gun & holster designs/reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by ev239 View Post
    Can you post pictures with the Cover-Up actually tucked & covered up? I'd like to know how well it hides the butt of that Glock while tucked.
    Here's how it conceals a Gov't 1911:

Proud to be an infidel.

Kenpo,

Ya got me thinkin'.

Have you tried using the clip snadwiched between the the belt over-lap? It looks to me like you could be able to get even stealthier if you're wearing your Instructor belt. In your pics, it looks as though it would easily avoid the hook strip of the velcro where you carry it.

Cheers

Proud to be an infidel.

Little too much clip showing for my taste, I prefer a J-hook or c-clip.
    Last edited by strider72; April 28th, 2008 at 11:49 AM. Reason: oops
    Glock 19/FEG/FM HiPowers/Keltec P32 for me. When I can't use my 870,N98 or Marlin .30-30 of course...

Quote Originally Posted by strider72 View Post
    Little too much clip showing for my taste, I prefer a J-hook or c-clip.
    I actually prefer velcro clips, but I like to be as stealthy as possible. That clip can easily be swapped out.
    Mine: Glock 36............Wife's: Ruger SP101 3"
    -------Ruger SR9....................Ruger SR9c
    -------S&W SW99 .45.............Charter Arms Undercover

Hidden Defense - Personal gun & holster designs/reviews.

Great write up and pics. Thanks for posting that review!

Glad it is working out for you! Looks like a great rig
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by Ping Ping View Post
    Kenpo,

Ya got me thinkin'.

Have you tried using the clip snadwiched between the the belt over-lap? It looks to me like you could be able to get even stealthier if you're wearing your Instructor belt. In your pics, it looks as though it would easily avoid the hook strip of the velcro where you carry it.

Cheers
    While I haven't tried it, I don't doubt that it would work. I've never bothered to try tucking my shirt in with the holster since the only time I have to tuck my shirt in is when I'm working (at which point I'm carrying OWB anyway).

Quote Originally Posted by ev239 View Post
    I'll try to post a pic later this evening...
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

I own 3 Tucker holsters for 3 different guns and they all work great. I have highly recommended them for years. Glad you like yours.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

As requested, here are some pics with the shirt tucked in.

with gun in appendix position:

As you can see, the holster does cause a noticeable bulge in the waistband. However, I'd imagine this might be less evident when wearing jeans/pants with a looser fit.
    With the clip sandwiched in the belt, it's not as noticeable and with a black belt, would probably be all but invisible.

here it is at 4:00

The clip is pretty obvious but once again, with a black belt it probably wouldn't attract too much attention.

Matt K.

VIP Member
    I've got the Tucker cover-up for j-frame and love it. I've never used it as a tuckable. Dont like carrying that way. I am jealous tho, you got yours in 3 months, mine took 4.......

With a belt like that, there's no need to try to conceal anything. It screams "gun". I love Tucker's work but just can't deal with clips. I'm jealous of you guys that can carry appendix. When I bend over, I jab myself at both ends of the gun!
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Quote Originally Posted by kentuckycarry View Post
    I've got the Tucker cover-up for j-frame and love it. I've never used it as a tuckable. Dont like carrying that way. I am jealous tho, you got yours in 3 months, mine took 4.......
    actually, from the time I ordered it, it only took about 2

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker
    With a belt like that, there's no need to try to conceal anything. It screams "gun".
    That's my every-day belt, if I have to have my shirt tucked in, I use my Sparks belt.

Matt K.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links