Where Do People Come Up With This Stuff?

This is a discussion on Where Do People Come Up With This Stuff? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Admin note: The original post in this thread is post #2. It is out of sync because of a server time problem, which has been ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Admin note: The original post in this thread is post #2. It is out of sync because of a server time problem, which has been corrected.

You and everyone in his vicinity should probably be glad he doesn't carry with a round chambered. The chance of an accidental discharge during all of those contortions sounds unacceptably high to me!
    Earth is the insane asylum of the universe!

Senior Moderator

While at work today a young man came in open carrying a Glock on his right hip in a plastic (not Kydex) holster with a retention strap. I'm not sure of the make and model of his holster and I wasn't paying too close of attention until he asked what we would give him on a trade for his Glock.

At which point he unholsters his Glock.

Now, when I say "unholster," I mean to say that he went through a three step program just to get the darned thing out of the holster.

His first task was to unsnap the retention strap. Now, most retention straps snap near the butt of the firearm where the thumb would naturally break the snap while coming in for a good grip and draw.

Not this holster.

The retention snap was on the right side of the holster by the trigger of the glock and required a whole separate motion to unsnap the strap then to move the hand to a good grip on the Glock.

If that weren't enough, when he went to remove the firearm from the holster he pulled up--only about a quarter of an inch--and then straight back where the Glock finally broke free from the holster and the force of his pull made his hand and therefore gun swing wildly back and out before he could bring the gun forward.

Finally he removed the magazine from the gun and handed it to a coworker stating, "I never carry with a round in the chamber."

A check of the chamber insured that he was correct. The chamber was empty.

The first thing that came to my mind was that after ALL that he STILL had to chamber a round before his gun was ready for action.

Curious as to how in the world this system worked I looked a little closer and saw that he had a rather large laser attachment on the bottom of his Glock and that the holster was designed to accommodate such an addition by having no "back" portion that could interfere with whatever attachment was on the firearm. However, because nothing was holding the Glock in place from the back it was being held by the front and sides making a draw to the front impossible. Moreover, the bulk of his laser prevented him from drawing straight up as his retention strap would catch on his laser, hence the draw straight to the rear. Finally, there is a lip of plastic about a quarter of an inch thick around the bottom of the holster to insure that the muzzle of the gun cannot slip back and out, but of course that requires the gun be first pulled up before it can be pulled back.

I had to wonder what part of this system made him think it was optimal for self defense (or anything other than just holding a gun).

Watching him reholster was almost just as entertaining.

He inserted the magazine, swept the gun far back behind the holster so that he could come in straight from the back instead of from above. The Glock snapped into the holster, he pushing it down the quarter inch and then wrapped the retention strap around the back and snapped it in place.

When he left I looked at my coworker and said, "I pray to God he never has to get that thing out in a hurry. Did you see what all was involved in drawing from that holster? AND he doesn't carry with a round chambered?" I made a nice little amazed whistle and my coworker shook his head.

What's more disturbing than this kid (he was maybe 25) thinking that this was a good set up is that some holster maker actually designed this contraption and someone else approved the design and said, "Yeah. That's a good rig. Let's make it and sell it."

Where do they come up with this stuff?

So---did you enlighten the young man while he was there? Give him some better alternatives and the like? Sounds to me like he needs some continuing education. I think if he continues, he's better off not carrying the pistol in the first place. This guy has 'casualty' written across his forehead.

Senior Moderator
    Well the poor sap probably thinks that is a great way to carry......

And the holster maker is probably thinking "I can't believe people buy this cheap junk"

I've seen people carry with all types of crappy holsters and belts
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    So---did you enlighten the young man while he was there? Give him some better alternatives and the like? Sounds to me like he needs some continuing education. I think if he continues, he's better off not carrying the pistol in the first place. This guy has 'casualty' written across his forehead.
    Nope, I didn't talk to him at all really. He was someone else's customer and I had one of my own.

He was with a couple of buddies and didn't seem like the type who would take correction on his holster choice well.

I think he might be coming back again (I thought I over heard him say he'd be back). If I get the chance I'll ask him about it (if he does come back).

My guess is that his hang up is the laser. If he could get rid of that monstrosity or at least get the internal laser or CT grip laser (if he really felt he needed one) then he could probably find himself a real decent rig.

Yeah--ditch the laser. He needs to learn how to aim with open sights. Matter of fact, he probably needs to learn how to shoot it period. Back to basics for him before he's too set in his ill mannered ways.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Yeah--ditch the laser. He needs to learn how to aim with open sights. Matter of fact, he probably needs to learn how to shoot it period. Back to basics for him before he's too set in his ill mannered ways.
    You're probably not far off base here. I heard him tell my coworker that he had tried shooting a Taurus but that the tip-up barrel on recoil made him shoot too high.

My coworker reminded him that almost all modern semi-autos have barrels that tip up while being cycled (including the Glock) and the kid said, "Well, apparently not as much as the Taurus cause I was really shooting high with that thing."

I had to snicker but I couldn't say anything because I was with another customer.

Of course the fact of the matter is that the bullet is LONG gone before recoil or cycling can effect trajectory but some people would much rather blame the gun.

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    Of course the fact of the matter is that the bullet is LONG gone before recoil or cycling can effect trajectory but some people would much rather blame the gun.
    Exactly!!!

My brother busted my target stand because he's trying to compensate for recoil on his XD40. Meanwhile I was practicing with my 4506, one handed and kept a 5 inch grouping. I kept trying to tell him that the recoil happens after the bullet leaves the gun. But he broke my target anyways.

I was in a gun shop a few weeks ago and one of the guys behind the counter was carrying in an Uncle Mikes nylon holster with the strap on the outside. I then looked at the rack of nice gun leather they had and shook my head.

I have spent probably $150 on leather in the last month or so. Two holsters. Is it worth it? Heck yes.

VIP Member
    Lima,

I wish you wouldn't post about people like this... it gives me nightmares!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Lead Moderator
    Sounds like he needs some good training to teach him more about drawing to a threat. My buddy sells holsters, LE gear and all sorts of fun stuff. I noticed today he was carrying in a cheap nylon rig (even though he owns 4-5 nice holsters for every gun he owns).
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Lima - If I may ask, what holster was the this guy using?

Just curious.....
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

I'm getting a vision of gecko 45 mall security guard,I bet that $5.00 holster was on an airsoft display somewhere that had Tactical and Swat emblazoned all over the package.It may be the safest holster for everybody within range of this guy,if he blames a gun for shooting high due to barrel pointing up when cycling.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Senior Member Array the_fallguy's Avatar
    It sounds like the guy was carrying a FOBUS GLT17 holster. Injection molded plastic that is really only suited for range use, and more or less worthless for that if you are trying to build a repetitive draw stroke. Try doing some retention training with one some time. It probably won't survive the practice session. This particular model already had one recall due to some unintentional discharges caused when the end of the strap caught in some trigger guards during re-holstering.

Still, the holster wasn't the real problem there....

BTW, Lima -

you didn't happen to hear which model Taurus he was complaining about did you? It would be perfect if it was a 92 or similar, as the barrel doesn't even tip.

I worked in a gun shop for about three years. I miss the guns, and I miss my coworkers, but I don't miss some of the customers...
    Last edited by JD; April 30th, 2008 at 08:13 AM.
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
    Where self preservation is concerned, if you're not cheating, your not trying...

Lima... if that ever happens again, you've gotta stop what you're doing and say...

"Man, that is a cool holster you got there... what kind is it and can I see it?"

If for no other reason than to report back here! Now I'm really curious as to what the heck he was carrying that gun in!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links