Crossbreed SuperTuck: Long-Term Review

This is a discussion on Crossbreed SuperTuck: Long-Term Review within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; In my original review I outlined my initial impressions of Crossbreed's SuperTuck holster. At that time I had worn the holster for a few weeks. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crossbreed SuperTuck: Long-Term Review

Crossbreed SuperTuck: Long-Term Review

In my original review I outlined my initial impressions of Crossbreed's SuperTuck holster. At that time I had worn the holster for a few weeks. As of today it has been over 8 months since I started wearing my SuperTuck daily with my Sig P239. I wanted to give people a longer term review to know what they can expect with owning one of Crossbreed's holsters.

Here's a brief recap (for more detail read my original review). This is a Crossbreed SuperTuck Deluxe IWB (inside the waistband) tuckable holster using V-clips (velcro clips) molded for a Sig P239 in 9mm. It is constructed with a large leather backing and a stiff piece of molded kydex to cover the firearm. The strong points this holster offers are it's adjustability, comfort, concealability and a very reasonable price.

Clothing Wear:
    You might be wondering why I'm starting off with 'Clothing Wear' as my first section. The reason is to help explain the pictures you'll see for those who only care about pictures (you know who you are). Below you'll see what I mean by clothing wear. This is something that won't show up until extended wear with the same pair of pants.

The circled area is where the muzzle of my P239 has rubbed a spot on my Wrangler cargo pants (my favorite for looks & utility and yes I am carrying in that picture). It's not the best picture of it, but I think it shows what can happen. I've got a navy pair of Old Navy pants where it's worn an actual hole (I think my wife threw those away because of it). Now why did I get this wear? Well one reason is because I carry at about 4:30 so when I sit (which I sit a lot for work) causes my gun to press against whatever chair I'm in. By the way that is in no way uncomfortable. I can go 14+ hours carrying this way without any discomfort. If I carried at closer to 3:00 I most likely wouldn't get this wear. Unfortunately, because of my luv handles that is not the most comfortable position. Another reason why my pants wear this way is due to the open muzzle design of the SuperTuck. A closed muzzle design would typically mute the somewhat hard edges of my firearm and cause less abrasion to my pants. Below you can see my solution to this problem.

I picked up a bag of scrap leather from the local Tandy Leather and used a larger section to trim up and cover the exposed muzzle. Then I used a leather punch and two chicago screws to fasten it to the holster leather backing. I've only done this just recently so I don't know if this will solve it long term, though feeling it through the pants there is a noticeable improvement at that spot. The great thing about this mod is that the only permanent thing I had to do to the main holster itself was punch two small holes.

Durability:
    Here is a picture of the holster very shortly after I received it.

And here is a picture of my holster as it is over 8 months later including all the mods that I have done.

You can see that the leather has aged to a nice tan color. It has picked up some indentions from the gun and has developed a comfortable curve where it has conformed to my waist, but otherwise has held up very well. You will notice that I did trim a bit of the leather to aid a full grip. The clips which I initially worried about the velcro peeling off have weathered hundreds of on/off transitions without any indication of peeling or fraying. They work great for support and concealment though the velcro part is much longer than my 1.5" belt so I have to be careful when I first put it on so that it doesn't poke out the bottom of the belt and become visible. It's not a big deal and I haven't had to trim them at all.* The kydex section doesn't show any wear at all. It still holds the gun loosely until I have my belt tightened, but I have never had any fear that my gun would fall out. Overall, I can see this holster lasting many years without much additional wear than what it already has on it.
    *Edit - got my new velcro lined belt from Crossbreed and it included new clips with it which are of the same design, but are sized just right for the belt and are totally hidden when tucked now.

Gun Wear:
    The Nitron finish on Sig's aren't known to be anything close to Glock's Tennifer finish and below it shows.

Because of the loose fit of the kydex, the gun does have a little room to shift and that shifting has caused some finish wear on the slide. You can't tell from this picture, but just to the left of the pin behind the extractor on the rolled edge the blued finish has been polished all the way off. On the muzzle end of the gun this is also some wear where the front of the slide contacts the leather. Now I'm no gun snob and I realize that an EDC gun will get holster wear so this kind of wear on this kind of finish is acceptable to me. Now if I had a hard chromed slide and the holster was able to chew through that finish then I'd be upset. I'm actually thinking about refinishing the slide in the future (maybe hard chrome, maybe NP3, maybe try to find a super tough black finish). This particular P239 was made in 1996 and has seen about a solid year's worth of daily carry IWB. Before that it mostly sat in it's case. I'm glad that I can give it some use.

Conclusion:
    The SuperTuck is a really good holster with only a couple tweaks away from being truely great. In it's role as a tuckable IWB concealment holster I can't imagine anything more comfortable and if you want to CCW 24/7; sitting, standing, driving, bending, twisting, turning, squatting and plain living then you can't go wrong with Crossbreed's SuperTuck. If you must keep the finish of your gun perfect then get it hard chromed or some other ultra tough finish because standard blue finishes will wear with use (no getting around that) and this holster like all others will wear that finish over time. The tweaks I made with my holster are simple & effective and in my mind only reflect what works for me. YMMV ("Your Mileage May Vary")
    Mine: Glock 36............Wife's: Ruger SP101 3"
    -------Ruger SR9....................Ruger SR9c
    -------S&W SW99 .45.............Charter Arms Undercover

Hidden Defense - Personal gun & holster designs/reviews.

2. Remove Ads

excellent review. I'll definitely consider adding your modification to mine as well since i've worried about the edge of my slide at the muzzle wearing out my pants. Good idea!

That is one of my complaints about CB. I prefer a full coverage holster, which is not an option. I think the concept is great but the execution is incomplete. I've cut away from the grip, added spacers for tucking and switched to comp-tac clips. I also can't get rid of the squeak. I finally switched to a TT IWB and couldn't be happier (this is for a 1911 and I feel that 1911s belong in leather. My glock rides in kydex). I see a trend where a lot of CB users have modified their holsters. I've seen almost no mention of people doing this to other manufacturers holsters. The exception being Comp-Tac where some have flipped the tab around to gain more cant. A minor alteration of personal preference only. I hope Mark takes heed and incorporates some updates to his design. I think that making the kydex an inch or two longer, at least as an option, would be well received.

I am considering one of his belts, however.
    -Biker

I recently got one of his belts - lined with velcro - and it's been great. Look for a comparison review in the near future with my old "non gun" belt that I had been using.
    Mine: Glock 36............Wife's: Ruger SP101 3"
    -------Ruger SR9....................Ruger SR9c
    -------S&W SW99 .45.............Charter Arms Undercover

Hidden Defense - Personal gun & holster designs/reviews.

mtbiker,
    I solved my squeaks and creaks from my crossbreed by simply wiping down the leather that the clips ride against with simple ol' saddle soap (the stuff you use for cleaning and preserving leather, most shoe retailers have it). Since then my holster hasn't made a peep.

EV, GREAT REVIEW.... Thanks for sharing and getting back with the long term review.
    If your not packin' your slackin'

Its better to have and not need than to need and not have, keep it safe but keep it loaded!

USN : Desert Storm

Great review - thanks for taking the time to post it up.

The open muzzle design of the CT was what made me decide to get the MTAC instead. I've had none of the problems you've described.

I just started wearing my second CB supertuck. First one for an HK and this one for a SW Model 60. I would have considered an MTAC just for comparison, however they don't make one for the revolver. That being said, I have no complaints with crossbreed. They are an excellent holster, Very comfy and conceals really well. I have tried the single clip styles like the Don Hume but the two clips spread out the weight and help as far as the discomfort of the weapon or holster hitting the point of your hip. I took a small chance that worked. I cut T shirt material to fit the inside of the kydex and used fabric glue to attach it. Gun still fits great. Retention is still good. Material helps as far as protecting the finish of the gun.

Quote Originally Posted by ev239 View Post
    Gun Wear:
    The Nitron finish on Sig's aren't known to be anything close to Glock's Tennifer finish and below it shows.
    My Glock 27 has weathered almost 1.5 years of daily carry in a Galco USA and the finish looks like the first time I took it out of the box. My Meprolight night sights are losing a bit of their black finish but that's nothing to worry about. Tenifer is amazing I must say.

Great review.

I have another holster to think about as I am in the market for an IWB holster and I wouldn't mind a tuckable one at that.

Thanks for a great review.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Are you listening Mark?

FULL BARREL/SLIDE COVERAGE!!
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

I don't think my Supertuck would be quite as comfortable if they kydex covered the slide fully.

Having that added length of kydex attached to the leather would take away pliability towards the muzzle end of the leather backing, which could concievably hamper comfort.

-JT

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu View Post
    I don't think my Supertuck would be quite as comfortable if they kydex covered the slide fully.

Having that added length of kydex attached to the leather would take away pliability towards the muzzle end of the leather backing, which could concievably hamper comfort.

-JT
    Crossbred does not make a holster specifically for my BE, so I had to make my own. I have full coverage on a 4.72" slide and I notice no difference between the one CB sent me for my weapon, and the one I made insofar as comfort and flex, and I am using .093" kydex vs. .060" from CB.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post
    Are you listening Mark?

FULL BARREL/SLIDE COVERAGE!!
    Yes, I am listening.

Full slide coverage is something we will look at in the future, at present we honestly have far less than 1% of our customers requesting or inquiring about it. I personally know of maybe 5 customers who have mentioned the "hole in my pants" thing such as eve239 has shown here. Remember, that is out of literally thousands of holsters now. (700-900 a month) It more likely is an individual issue with the angle of carry, tightness of pants, or other individually specific variable which I cannot control.

I realize that we would certainly have folks who would opt for the full slide coverage, and like I said it is something we will look at down the road but there are some disadvantages to it as well.....

Part of the issue with full slide coverage is then you would have a specific scabbard for every slide length of every gun out there. Instead of ONE scabbard for each family of guns as we have now. This would cause two negative effects,

1) Increase production time because the number of scabbards we would have to make would rise exponentially.
    (Delivery times are in the top 3 customer concerns.)

2)It would hamper the "one holster will fit all your Glocks, or XDs or whatever" aspect of our holsters. The vast majority of our customers really like that feature.

For now the top two priorities are,

A) Getting a dual mag/mag&flashlight carrier available. We have had LOTS and LOTS of requests for that and it is the current R&D project.

B) Keeping delivery times reasonable, we also get LOTS and LOTS more folks who would rather have their holster sooner than to have full slide coverage.

I certainly do watch the boards closely, and pay attention to what our customers would like to see us do, but we can only do so many things at once and so we have to concentrate our efforts in the areas that the will accommodate the largest segment of the customers.

Thanks for the input, and I hope you understand that I am simply being honest and forthright with this answer.
    Mark Craighead
    Owner/Founder
    CrossBreed Holsters LLC
    http://www.crossbreedholsters.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links