Ebay is nuts

This is a discussion on Ebay is nuts within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; There is a Sparks VM2 for a 3" 1911 with a bid of $400 right now...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ebay is nuts

Ebay is nuts

There is a Sparks VM2 for a 3" 1911 with a bid of $400 right now

2. Remove Ads

I've been following that one...incredible. Another few hours, it'll be cheaper to buy a 3" 1911!

I'm not so sure that VM2 is even for a 3" 1911. It has closed muzzle end, similar to what you see in the VM2's for sub-compact Glocks. I've owned a VM2 for a 3" 1911 and it did not have a closed end. Another one has just been put into auction, and it looks different than the $400 one. Seems like a big scam.
    A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.
    -- Sigmund Freud

Senior Member Array Sportsterguy's Avatar
    Absolutely ridiculous! Bought mine a few years back for less than a C note. Now taking my business to TT Guleather and HBE Leatherworks. MS makes a great holster but the waiting line is too long for this guy. People paying that kinda of change are smoking something other than the tobacco I indulge in.
    Sportsterguy-NRA Life Member

Molon Labe!

Join the NRA today, or don't complain when your guns are taken away!

Quote Originally Posted by slimjim View Post
    I'm not so sure that VM2 is even for a 3" 1911. It has closed muzzle end, similar to what you see in the VM2's for sub-compact Glocks. I've owned a VM2 for a 3" 1911 and it did not have a closed end. Another one has just been put into auction, and it looks different than the $400 one. Seems like a big scam.
    I agree something does not look right about it I have a VM2 in horsehide for my 3.5 officer's 1911 and mine looks diferent than the that $400 one thats for sure, for one think mine does not have the closed muzzle but there is somthing else I just can't figure out what it is.
    In God we trust, Everyone else we monitor...

Administrator
    Ebay went down hill about 10-12 years ago, its not worth even looking there anymore.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by Sportsterguy View Post
    Now taking my business to TT Guleather...
    TT makes a decent knock off of the Versa Max II, but the craftsmanship isn't in the same league as Milt Sparks.

I have a TT and it serves it's purpose. Just like a VW gets you the same place the Audi does.

Interesting take form Sparks' website

ebay'ers take note:
    It has come to our attention that some individuals have been ordering our product (most notably our model VM-2) for no other reason than for speculative sales on auction sites such as ebay. While we may admire the entrepreneurial aspect of those individuals and are flattered that some bidders are willing to pay well over 2 1/2 times the retail price just to have the item now instead of 6 months down the road. We are not impressed with the fact that some of these sellers have no real personal need for the product other than to make a quick profit on an internet sale and for that we already have authorized dealers.
    Therefore, it is our policy going forward, that we will not accept any order, or addition to any order, that has the earmarks of an order destined for speculative, or unauthorized dealer sales. As a manufacturer, we reserve the right to accept or decline any order for any reason and that includes limiting the items on an individuals order.
    Ordering info
    Go Glock - until you can afford H&K

I seen that yesterday,good for them.
    $400.00 is stupid!!
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Catalina View Post
    Interesting take form Sparks' website

Ordering info
    How would MS know? Unless someone orders more than say 1-2 holsters. Why would MS care? They are getting their asking price. Someone else is providing a service that another person is willing to pay for. Now I would not pay those kind of prices, but I also would not wait that long for a holster either. I don't see an issue here. If one does not want the wait and is willing to pay a higher price - shop ebay. If you want to save your $$$ and still want the holster - get in line and wait. If MS doesn't want the people selling on ebay - offer an expedited service for a premium charge. Problem solved.

I applaud MS for not wanting to sell to people who will only sell on ebay. MS charges what they think is a fair price for the product and if people are ordering holsters, just to resell at 2-3x the original price, then the target market is not getting the product. $100+ for a holster is, for me, a considerable outlay of cash and I know I would never have been able to justify $400 for one.

Anyone shelling out $400 for a VM-II is a moron. There are painfully too many manufactures in business right now who are willing to forsake the quality of their products for huge profits. Tony and the gang from Sparks are one of the very few exceptions. I hope they keep up their business practices in spite of the ebay morons and the shamefull copycats like the guys at TT. I have several rigs from Sparks. I paid regular price and waited the regular time to get them. Funny thing, my guns didn't go anywhere while I was waiting. I'll order more from them soon, and I can assure you it wont be from some idiot on ebay.

Administrator
    One good reason not to do it is that your greed would be "sticking it" to other good carry people by dramatically increasing their legitimate wait times.

Another reason is that it is taking advantage of an honest company that is making every attempt to keep their product prices low enough so that their finest quality carry holsters can continue to remain affordable and accessible to the average person and within a reasonable time frame.

So obviously they are a company that is not "in it" just for the almighty dollar.
    These days (for sure) that is something to be respected and admired rather than something to take unfair advantage of.

I also imagine that since making holsters of such high quality is so labor intensive they (for sure) are very limited as to how many holsters total they can produce in any given period of time.

So somebody ordering holsters just so they can turn them over for quick Internet resale bucks would hamper Sparks ability to fill orders in a timely manner to their authorized dealers.
    You would be hurting them in that way and why would you want to do that to them?

Also since Sparks is now keenly aware of what is happening on Ebay these recent days I wouldn't bet money on the fact that Sparks wouldn't know exactly how many of what they sold to who, where, and when...and you might call them up to place another holster order only to discover that all of your bridges have been forever burnt and they will not sell to you anymore.

Hey...if Sparks was a Chinese company cranking out massive numbers of dumb Beanie Babies and you could turn them over on Ebay for a quick buck - I would say "Go For It" but, don't walk all over a fine, "Salt of the Earth" American holster maker that is making every attempt possible to produce the finest quality leather stuff at the lowest fair price for us carry folks.
    That would big time suck of you.
    Just my personal opinion.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Sponsor
    Mark Craighead
    Owner/Founder
    CrossBreed Holsters LLC
    http://www.crossbreedholsters.com

Quote Originally Posted by slimjim View Post
    I've been following that one...incredible. Another few hours, it'll be cheaper to buy a 3" 1911!

I seen that. The holster pictured on the auction was for a G26/27 NOT a 3" 1911. I contacted the seller through ebay and this is the response I got....

"Thanks TK, I just grabbed a generic picture. It isn't the actual holster, it has 1911 3" stamped on the one I am selling. I ran into some hard times and need some money. I'm keeping the one for my glock 19 though. Thanks.

- clvlndta3"

The winning bid on that holster was $535.
    Second Best is not an option

Administrator
    Just FYI. Now there are 12 Sparks items listed on Ebay.

I just searched all of Ebay for "Sparks holster"

This phenomena is probably going to snowball.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by T. Kanaley View Post
    The winning bid on that holster was $535.
    WOW That is just insane. For the same price you could buy 5 VM2s from Tony. Like I said, Ebay sure is nuts!

I think I would have tried to bribe one of the employees with an extra $100-$200 under the table if you know what I mean

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links