BUG Carry options

BUG Carry options

This is a discussion on BUG Carry options within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My primary carry is an M&P 4.5" barrel 45 in a SmartCarry holster. I'm leaning toward a Ruger LCP for a BUG. Questions: 1. Strong ...

Thread: BUG Carry options

Senior Member Array HowardCohodas's Avatar

BUG Carry options

My primary carry is an M&P 4.5" barrel 45 in a SmartCarry holster.

I'm leaning toward a Ruger LCP for a BUG.

Questions:
    1. Strong side vs weak side. I'm blessed to be nearly ambidextrous in most skills except writing. I am right-eyed so I tend to primary carry right-handed. I'm leaning toward carrying my BUG left-handed to add to my options. Any thoughts on this?

2. Jacket pocket vs pants pocket. For work and social occasions I'm mostly dressed with either a suit jacket or sports coat. When wearing a jacket, I'm inclined to have the BUG in my jacket pocket rather than my pants pocket. Any thoughts on this?

3. Wearing an Overcoat. During the really cold weather in Ohio I wear an overcoat. Second BUG for overcoat or transfer when removing overcoat? Although transfering risks exposure, I'm reluctant to leave one in the overcoat while I'm not wearing it. I don't like either solution. Any thoughts on this?
    Howard
    I carry a gun because I can't carry a cop!!
    Politically Incorrect Self Defense

When I am not at work I carry a BUG 99% of the time.

I prefer a Revolver for a BUG for a few simple reasons. I can shoot through the jacket pocket if need be, the Revolver, while "lumpier" in the pocket is harder to identify as a gun, and last but not least, the Revolver is still more reliable in the smaller guns than their bigger Brothers are, and the Revolver tends to draw easier from the pocket too.

I have a Kahr PM9 that is 100% reliable at the Range. I have carried it in my pocket only to find that the magazine has been partially removed from the gun leaving me with a one shot plastic "uberpistol".

Another advantage of the Revolver is, they are not affected by "limp-wristing", nor are they made inoperable when they are shoved in to the gut of the target. BUGS are used when one can't get to their "Primary" Handgun. Most often that means you are likely to be rolling around on the ground fighting with your adversary. In those cases I want the wheelgun.

Revolvers still have their place, and if I'm given a choice I'd take the wheelie for a BUG any day of the week.

Take care and stay safe, Biker

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCohodas View Post
    My primary carry is an M&P 4.5" barrel 45 in a SmartCarry holster.

I'm leaning toward a Ruger LCP for a BUG.

Questions:
    1. Strong side vs weak side. I'm blessed to be nearly ambidextrous in most skills except writing. I am right-eyed so I tend to primary carry right-handed. I'm leaning toward carrying my BUG left-handed to add to my options. Any thoughts on this?

Weakside, as I like having a gun accessable to either hand.

2. Jacket pocket vs pants pocket. For work and social occasions I'm mostly dressed with either a suit jacket or sports coat. When wearing a jacket, I'm inclined to have the BUG in my jacket pocket rather than my pants pocket. Any thoughts on this?

Unless it really cold and I'm wearing a long heavy coat I prefer the BUG in my pant's pocket. I don't find a sports coat to be of substantial materia,l enough to support a gun. There is a lot to be said to having the gun in your pant's pocket with your hand on the gun.

3. Wearing an Overcoat. During the really cold weather in Ohio I wear an overcoat. Second BUG for overcoat or transfer when removing overcoat? Although transfering risks exposure, I'm reluctant to leave one in the overcoat while I'm not wearing it. I don't like either solution. Any thoughts on this?
    I "discreetly" transfer the gun from coat to pant's pocket with no trouble. Of course I have credentials that go further than a CCW Permit. I don't believe in leaving a gun unattended unless it's in my safe, so leaving it in the overcoat is not an option for me.

I gave you some other things to think about in my previous post. Good luck and I hope I was of some help to you.

Biker

Senior Member Array bluelineman's Avatar
    You might need several different options depending on weather, attire, etc.

One option that would work in any situation would be Smart Carry. It is surprisingly comfortable, especially with a small gun. I've only used mine a few times with my snubbie, but it worked well. As long as you're wearing something other than your skivvies over it, it will work.

My suggestions.

1. Weak side carry.
    2. Jacket pocket would be ideal and no one would see you put your hand on the gun
    3. Outside coat pocket and transfer to the jacket or pants pocket. Very easy to do once you get use to doing it.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Back pocket, strongside... the way I have always carried.
    Glock 19/FEG/FM HiPowers/Keltec P32 for me. When I can't use my 870,N98 or Marlin .30-30 of course...

If my strongside hand is healthy, I'll draw my primary weapon. I carry my BUG in my offside back pocket in a wallet holster from Active Pro Gear. Make sure you order a left-handed model for your offside carry if you're right handed.
    Gun Concealment holsters, shoulder holsters, leather holster
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

In your position I'd recommend trying:

1. Weak side carry.
    2. In pants pocket.
    3. Unless you are wearing an overcoat or parka, in which case you may want to transfer it there.

You may like it, or you may like the other options given. I tried several before settling on what works for me.
    Last edited by Erik; May 4th, 2008 at 09:47 PM.
    God, country, family.

Links