First time Mexican carry the other day

This is a discussion on First time Mexican carry the other day within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well, I purchased an item from someone on Craigslist the other day, and planned to meet up with him on my lunch break to pick ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First time Mexican carry the other day

First time Mexican carry the other day

Well, I purchased an item from someone on Craigslist the other day, and planned to meet up with him on my lunch break to pick it up. I didn't have enough time to change out of my work uniform, and I can't wear a belt and holster on my work pants. I'd normally just leave my gun in the glove box (I can't carry at work, and I have to run errands now and then), but this situation called for going armed, so I cleared the chamber and Mexican carried it SOB (there was no way in hell I was going to walk around with a .45 pointed at the boys, chambered round or not!).

Although it was extremely uncomfortable while sitting (to be expected), I was fine once I took the first few steps and realized that my G21 wasn't going to go sliding down my pants. The worst part about it was trying not to laugh about the fact that I was Mexican carrying.

I don't know how the guys who make a habit of this can stand it for an extended period of time, and I couldn't imagine trying it with a hot-chambered Glock....one slip or wrong move, and POW!! instant falsetto.
    G17, G26

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil...

2. Remove Ads

The guys that mexican carry give themselves away,because the gun is always shifting and they always touch it to reposition it,and cops look for those movements to spot thugs with guns,I have mexican carried at the 9 o'clock before but i prefer a holster like my crossbreed
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Senior Moderator
    I've "Mexican" carried (since we are using the term) only a handful of times and usually only long enough to get to the mailbox and back.

Almost every single time I've had to keep my hand on the gun to keep it from sliding down my drawers and into the neverlands. I would NEVER do it as a mode of carry for out and about. It would certainly end up on the floor or some grocery store.

I don't know how people do it for long periods of time. Even if they didn't accidentally shoot themselves from grabbing their guns all the time, what keeps them from falling out of their pants?

I have done it a few times, and it is a pain in the butt trying to keep it where you want it and not on the floor.
    NRA Life Member

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Ed Brown Kobra Carry stainless .45
    HK45C .45

Senior Member Array HowardCohodas's Avatar
    I primarily carry an M&P 45 in a SmartCarry holster. However, it can be challenging to draw while driving. So I added a Universal Clipdraw for all handguns. for longer trips. I also use it that way for trips to the mailbox if I'm not wearing my SmartCarry. Never moves around and trigger is behind my belt so I carry with one in the chamber.
    Howard
    I carry a gun because I can't carry a cop!!
    Politically Incorrect Self Defense

Can someone explain why is mexican carry is safer with a 1911 than with a Glock ? I guess I don't see the logic behind that.

Quote Originally Posted by Shizzlemah View Post
    Can someone explain why is mexican carry is safer with a 1911 than with a Glock ? I guess I don't see the logic behind that.
    The Glock just has to have something happen (clothes get inside trigger guard, etc) so the trigger gets depressed.

The 1911 has to have something happen so that the manual safety gets disengaged; the grip safety gets depressed; and the trigger gets depressed.

The Glock requires 1 thing to go wrong (2 if you count the little trigger seperately from the bigger trigger); 1911 requires 3 things to happen.

3 events are less likely to coincide than 1 or 2.

$.02.

The closest I'll get to Mexican carry is to tuck one into the "holster" inside my 5.11 jeans....like a couple mentions here, the thought of a loaded gun pointing at "the boys" is uncomfortable for me.

It's one more reason I like the smaller "back-ups", they ride fine in my back pocket on a walk to the mailbox....$.02

Why do you leave your gun in the car? If you don't have to pass through a security point than you might think about carrying all the time. I hate hearing stories where someone needed their gun and didn't have it. Or having their gun stolen from the car. If you get a great holster you can carry at work and no one will ever know. I felt weird about it for some time but now its just like my wallet and cell phone. Company policy ends where my right to defend myself begins.
    The Problem: When stupid people do stupid things, smart people end up getting killed.

Quote Originally Posted by DistantHorizon View Post
    The Glock just has to have something happen (clothes get inside trigger guard, etc) so the trigger gets depressed.

The 1911 has to have something happen so that the manual safety gets disengaged; the grip safety gets depressed; and the trigger gets depressed.

The Glock requires 1 thing to go wrong (2 if you count the little trigger seperately from the bigger trigger); 1911 requires 3 things to happen.

3 events are less likely to coincide than 1 or 2.

$.02.
    Yeah I understand what you are saying but I don't buy it. The thumb safety on a 1911 is likely to get jostled and bumped off. The grip safety can be satisfied with your gut when you bend over.

Granted, this makes it no more dangerous than a glock- but I wouldn't buy the glock as a bigger risk.

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    A buddy of mine Mexican carries his Glock at 12:00, sometimes in C3, sometimes in C1. I've offered to buy him holsters but he "feel[s] that holsters are uncomfortable and unnecessary."

He once asked me to carry it so he could drink at a party. I put it in a nylon IWB at 10:00 (grip forward) to go along with my 1911 Govt at 3:30 and NAA revolver just in front of it. He kind of ragged me for not just putting it in my shorts.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    I've "Mexican" carried (since we are using the term) only a handful of times and usually only long enough to get to the mailbox and back.

Almost every single time I've had to keep my hand on the gun to keep it from sliding down my drawers and into the neverlands. I would NEVER do it as a mode of carry for out and about. It would certainly end up on the floor or some grocery store.

I don't know how people do it for long periods of time. Even if they didn't accidentally shoot themselves from grabbing their guns all the time, what keeps them from falling out of their pants?
    I guess I use a form of Mexican carry with my HK P7 and I use it fairly regularly, especially for short trips and never worry about it falling into my 'netherlands'.
    Rather than in the pants, it goes between the pants and a good belt with the muzzle in the coin pocket of a pair of Levi's at a 15-20 degree cant. I don't feel it's condusive to running though but through normal actions and driving I have no fear of it falling out. The only time I have problems with it dislodging is if I'm lying down.
    Of course, it's not as secure as it is in a good holster, but it is quite convenient at times.

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

Quote Originally Posted by Bando View Post
    Why do you leave your gun in the car? If you don't have to pass through a security point than you might think about carrying all the time. I hate hearing stories where someone needed their gun and didn't have it. Or having their gun stolen from the car. If you get a great holster you can carry at work and no one will ever know. I felt weird about it for some time but now its just like my wallet and cell phone. Company policy ends where my right to defend myself begins.
    I am in the same boat. My place of employment does not allow any weapons. So during the day it is in the car hidden from view. It is only a few steps away if the SHTF. There is security in the lot and so I don't feel too bad. I know other coworkers do the same thing. Sucks, but it beats a felony.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    I used to "Mexican" when I first started carrying. Not too bad as long as you're not engaging in physical activity. Of course I always cinched my belt up real tight too.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links