MTAC, C clips or standard?

This is a discussion on MTAC, C clips or standard? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; OK, I'm convinced that I need to try this holster. Just too many good reviews and the fact that I can always buy separate bodies ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Distinguished Member Array Wasabi's Avatar

OK, I'm convinced that I need to try this holster. Just too many good reviews and the fact that I can always buy separate bodies and clip sizes for it makes it a versatile solution as my gun/belt lineup may change at times. Which clips are best? I don't want to go with velcro but I want maximum concealment without giving up too much in support. Am I giving up any in support with the C clips to make them not a good choice over the standard clips? My belts currently are 1.25" (Beltman) and I'd be carrying either an Ultra CDP II or a G29 in it (maybe a PM9 at times).

Thanks for any input.

Senior Moderator
    C clips for me. I found the standard clips could slip off the belt too easily.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

I'm a standard clip kinda guy. I've had issues with the C clips not staying on the belt. I had to heat and bend the top of the C clip to help it but the standard clips have been problem free. They show a little more but I don't have to constantly adjust the gun/holster. That's a bigger give-away I'm carrying than the standard clips are.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    I got "J" clips with mine.

Guess I will call them up and order the new clips.
    Last edited by Tally XD; May 4th, 2008 at 09:56 PM. Reason: Edited: I made mistake about which clips I had
    “I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.”
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

I just got my second MTAC a week ago and it has the standard clips (with 5 holes) and a second set of standard clips for my first MTAC, which I had ordered with J-clips.

The standard clips make for a world of difference to me.

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    I really like the standard clips on my M-tac. they are very easy going on and lock in well on my belt. I do wear a thick Wilderness instructor's belt, and I guess that really helps too.

Ex Member Array TacticalCompact's Avatar
    I bought Comp-Tac's 1.5" belt, and it is beastly. I had it delivered with the velcro lining, and I got the velcro clips. I gotta say, you can't get more concealable than this. I can tuck and you don't see a thing! I know you said you didn't want velcro, but it sure is damn sexy.

Distinguished Member Array Wasabi's Avatar
    Thanks for the replies everyone,

Are the velcro clips as secure as the others with heavier guns? How hard would it be to retro my Beltman belts with velcro?

In wearing a kahr p40 so its not that heavy. However, the Velcro seems VERY strong. I'm sure it would work well for just about any cc type handgun. As for puttng the Velcro in your existing belts they recommend stitching it in. I don't think I'd want it stuck on with just adhesive.

Keep in mind when considering Velcro, its not like the gun is just hanging there with its entire weight supported by the Velcro. Youre IWB and belt tension has the holster pinched against your body. However, the Velcro is strong enough to dangle my kahr freely.

In the first pic, you can see the bottom of the velcro clip just under my belt. The clip can be adjusted properly (I was in a rush to take the pics, sorry) so that no clip shows beneath the belt at all.

In the next pic, you can see the view from the back, same story with the clip showing a bit under the belt because of my rush. I guess it's okay, cause you can see the location of the clips as I've got it set up:

In this pic, I pulled my t-shirt tight and shot from my view looking down so you can see how it is attached:

Then here, the same view with T-shirt tucked and bloused:

And last but not least, the Kahr P-40 with loaded magazine dangling freely from velcro, despite the one clip only hanging on by a corner due to the odd angle of drape lol:

I don't tuck my T-shirts in, and I think my outfit looks dumb with the big fat belt and tucked-in T. The point was to show how well these clips work with a good belt :D

Hope that helps.
    Last edited by TacticalCompact; May 4th, 2008 at 11:31 PM. Reason: thought I'd add a few pics.

Thanks for the pics! I love my MTAC with standard clips but have thought about getting the velcro cluips and a velcro belt. How easy/hard is it to put on/take off your MTAC with this rig?
    Kimber Pro CDP II

"Though defensive violence will always be 'a sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." St. Augustine A.D. 354-430

standard clips all the way! i ordered mine with the c-clips originally, and found them difficult to keep on my belt as well as extremely bulky--they print like crazy and my xd dissapears. i ordered the standard clips to replace the c clips, and it's like an entirely different holster. 10 times more comfortable and completely disappears under my t-shirt now.

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    The standard clips---the new ones, thinner with five holes. I tried the velcro, but didn't like them as much since they are short and wide, like the old standard clips.
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

the only time I have difficulty putting on my holster is when I do It while seated in the drivers seat of my car. Even then, its not too difficult for me. I have to make that maneuver daily. I am I skinny guy though which helps. Ive even run around in the park with my dogs and no issues. OMO YMMV etc haha

I picked the C-Clips to go with the monstrous Comp-Tac 1.5" belt. Carrying an HK P30 has never been so comfortable and comforting.

Forgive the photos, This was before my first cup of coffee after a 4 day vacation at O'Dark Thirty

Mindset - Tactics - Skills - Equipment
    http://www.ingunowners.com
    W9ZEB dot Org

Quote Originally Posted by Goel View Post
    Thanks for the pics! I love my MTAC with standard clips but have thought about getting the velcro cluips and a velcro belt. How easy/hard is it to put on/take off your MTAC with this rig?
    I got the velcro clips and belt. Its relatively easy to take the holster off. About the same as the standard clips. The velcro clips come with some velcro stripes to attach to a regular belt, and that works ok. (they are self stick but pretty solid once they are on).

negatives:

- its not as easy to reposition the holster (slide it forward/backward)
    - the MTAC belt is massive. I think its massive enough where it kind of gives away that you are carrying. your regular cell phone holster may not fit over it.
    - the velcro on the belt doesn't go forward far enough for me. I carry at 2 o'clock and there is no velocro for the first clip (but you can fix that with the included velcro strips). It depends on how many holes you use in the belt.
    - the velcro clips don't go as deep as the regular clips. They are one hold (about 1 inch?) shorter.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links