M-tac -VM2 ???

This is a discussion on M-tac -VM2 ??? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm new to this CC thing. I've got a M&P 40 compact w/ crimson trace laser grips. I'm a big guy, to say the least-6'4'' ...

Thread: M-tac -VM2 ???

Smile M-tac -VM2 ???

I'm new to this CC thing. I've got a M&P 40 compact w/ crimson trace laser grips. I'm a big guy, to say the least-6'4'' 285. I wasn't sure I could pull off the IWB, because of my size. I mostly wear jeans and cargo shorts with with a tee shirt or casual shirt untucked, because there is barley enough room for me, oh well! I went ahead and ordered a M-Tac from Com-Tac and was amazed at how comfortable this thing is, without even adjusting anything! standing, sitting,driving it really is comfortable!
    I did a lot of reading/research and it seems a lot of people say the VM-2 is ONE of the better leather holsters. My question is, Would I be blown away by the differance in the VM-2 compared to the M-Tac? Because it is not a major differance in price (88.00- 125.00) just the very long wait. I'll spend the money and endure the wait if it's anymore comfortable than the M-Tac.
    Com-Tac if you're reading, I really am PLEASED with the holster and the QUICK delivery (8 days), just trying to get a opinion from some very nowledgable people who have tried both! Thanks for reading my first post, and I look forward to YOUR opinions.
    Last edited by mba333; May 5th, 2008 at 09:10 PM. Reason: no response

2. Remove Ads

Glad to hear that you like the MTAC. I just ordered one for my G30. I also ordered the spare body so that I can carry my 19,23 and 27 in it.

I also have an order in with Milt Sparks for a VMII. It should be coming in August. But that is specifically for my G27.

The MTAC was originally going to be only for my G30. Because I have a MaxCon V for my 19/23 and I am awaiting the VMII for my 27.

But the spare body for the MTAC was only $35 and allows me to carry three more of my handguns in it. So I had to do it.

The MaxCon V is very comfortable but you cannot tuck your shirt with it. On occasion I need to tuck my shirts in and would like to still be able to carry one of my Glocks. I imagine that the VMII is probably just as comfortable as my MaxCon.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

IMO, short answer would be NO. I've owned both the MTAC & VM2. I didn't find a considerable difference in comfort. I actually preferred the MTAC in regards to that issue due to it being adjustable. I prefer little lower riding & more cant than the VM2. That's just a personal preference though. The overall appearance (i.e. workmanship, quality leather, etc.) of the VM2 is clearly nicer. I would go ahead and order the VM2 and test it out yourself.

Heh... If it doesn't work out for you, you can always sell it on EBAY for $500 bucks or so.
    A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.
    -- Sigmund Freud

While you're waiting 26 weeks on your VM2, the MTAC may become your favorite holster. Milt Sparks makes great stuff, but perhaps they should find some extra help!

If you don't want to wait that long, check out ttgunleather.com. I am currently waiting on a holster from him and I have heard a lot of great things. You may notice it is a copy of the VM2.

Stick with the VM2, best holster I've found in 30 years. If for some reason you don't like it, I'll buy it from you for what you paid and pay the shipping.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

VIP Member
    Welcome aboard mba333!

As for the VM-II, it really is personal choice. I think they're the best thing ever made and have quite a few... some folks feel the same about other holsters, even Kydex if you can believe that!

Ya owe it to yourself to try a VM-II because it just might be that you'll really be glad you did like me!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Thanks, for the replies. I tried to order a VM2 today, but they said they couldn't gaurantee it would fit with the laser grips,since they don't have all models with lasers, which I understand. Anyone tried a M&P 40 compact w/ crimson trace grips in a VM2?

Not me, but 1911's with CT's fit just fine.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Never tried the MTAC but the VMII is "the cat's meow" when it comes to holsters. Quality and craftsmanship are second to none. You won't be disappointed. I have one for my XD 45 4" Service and I LOVE it. I bought the XD as my first handgun and didn't take into consideration that I might want to carry it some day (a big large to carry every day). I've since bought a G27 (I've got an order at MS for a VMII for the Glock) but I am happy to say that I can now carry my XD and it conceals surprisingly well in the VMII considering it's size.

Distinguished Member Array Wasabi's Avatar
    Which one offers the most tuckability and concealability? The belt loops on the VMII look very obvious. I am getting a shark skin belt and also have an elephant skin belt (both Beltman). I guess I could get the shark skin loops to help hide them.

I have both. The MTAC is every bit as comfortable as the VMII, in part due to the large leather backing extending down past the gun's barrel. There's no abrupt "end" to the holster on your thigh. The MTAC is also slightly thinner in the waistband, and is more versatle due to being a slide model. I can wear it and carry any of my 3 Glocks in .40 S&W.
    They both seem to hide equally well. I don't wear either one with a tucked shirt, so the loops are a non-issue. I do have the extra kydex clips for the VMII, so I may give the tuckable option a try.
    Glock 22, NS
    Glock 20, NS
    Ruger MkIII bull-barrel
    Quote Originally Posted by Dal1Celt View Post
    You can't cure stupid, but you can give it a good whoopin to straighten it's thought pattern.

I just received my MTAC for a Glock 23, 26 and 27. I've had it on now for six hours and it is the most comfortable IWB holster I have worn for my Glocks. I was concerned about the thickness of the Glock pistols causing discomfort (I have a 30 inch waist) but the MTAC design does a super job of concealing with a high degree of comfort. I have MS Watch Six Talon in horsehide for my SA 1911 Compact and it's been the king of comfort for me with that pistol for over six years. I also have a VM II on order for my Kimber Custom Classic but I'm leaning towards buying extra MTAC bodies for my 1911's instead....too early to tell but WOW, the Comp-Tac MTAC is comfortable.

Links