holster shopping

This is a discussion on holster shopping within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; i've been looking around for some iwb holsters. after going down the list of makers, thoughtfully provided by krang, i've noticed something on most sites. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: holster shopping

holster shopping

i've been looking around for some iwb holsters. after going down the list of makers, thoughtfully provided by krang, i've noticed something on most sites. they show you what the outside(pants side) of the holster looks like but not the other(what goes against you) side. in my job i work in a hot shop, and sometimes outside. i don't know about you, but that gun can get hot even under a shirt and when you bend and the hot metal hits your skin it burns, not to mention it digging in to you. trying to find out if a holster has a high back/sweatshield is a drag. i wonder why so few sites offer a view of the inside of the holster?

2. Remove Ads

The easiest thing to do is call. BladeTech has a sweat guard on all the IWB models I've seen, but leathermakers, well, some do, some don't. Kramer, Rosen, FIST, etc., will all be happy to answer your query.

Try Tucker Gunleather. www.tuckergunleather.com. Excellent IWB coverup holsters. We've had plenty of 90+ degree days this summer and I never have a problem with sweat and the holster against my skin.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

I offer a "sweat panel" as an option to the IWB holsters that I make. I believe most of the leather holster makers make their IWB holsters with a sweat panel already incorporated into the holster or offer it as an option.

The Cochise Defender model that I offer is by far the most popular style of IWB that folks choose. The adjustable kydex clips offer a myriad of ways to wear the holster, even outside the waistband if you were so inclined.

Good luck in your search.

i've checked almost all the sites, still have a few to go. i'm gonna have to figure who i'm gonna wear out with questions,lol. getting one for social occasions isn't a problem. finding one that'll work at work is gonna be a problem. lot's of bending, twisting, and laying on ground,(i'm a mechanic) and sometimes i have to take it off for various jobs so easy on and off is a plus. i'll find some somewhere i hope. i just noticed that most(not all) sites do not give you a view of the inside. having an unprotected slide/safety/hammer poke/rub your side isn't very comfortable, but maybe it's just me. the wife says i can be real picky at times.

Senior Member Array CombatEffective's Avatar
    I can speak very highly of K-Man's customer service and his workmanship. I have a review of his Laredo Defender that will be up in my articles section this week.

As for his IWB selection, here are a few that I have found posted by satisfied customers elsewhere:

Shooters' Legacy

Special sections for S&W and Ruger

holster shopping

K-Man... you own/work for k-d holsters? if so, can i tell you what i'm looking for?

Max con 5 hands down.

If you buy one for a 1911 and don't like it, I'll buy it from you.

craig45:

Yes, I own K&D Holsters and make all the holsters. Please feel free to contact me either through a PM, email (leathercraft@hotmail.com), or by phone (our number is listed on the "About K&D" page of the website). I do a lot of custom work for my customers and can do nearly anything a person is looking for in their holster.

I have a Milt Sparks Versa Max II and a Watch Six, I can highly recommend either one, very high quality. The only real difference is the Versa Max II has a reinforced mouth for easier one handed reholstering.

here is a picture of the back of the Watch Six. The Versa Max is identical.

Sarhog
    NRA Life Member
    Northwest Florida Defensive Pistol Shooters Member
    Sarhog's gallery

Thumbs up holster shopping

thanks for the replies guys. this place is full of good info. looking at some of the rigs you guys have makes me wonder how you can hide those things. i'm new to ccw and everytime i got my 649 on i think it's really visible. it's not, because nobody's said a thing. i've been all over this town and been in all kinds of places, and even the police that come into work have never said a thing. guess it's beginners paranoia. well, time to start asking questions of the various makers. thanks again guys

Sorry for the off-topic post, but Craig45, do you shoot with the Northwest Florida defensive Pistol Shooters Inc.?
    They run IDPA matches twice a month at a private range just north of Pensacola.
    It's only about 55 miles west of you. If you want to come shoot a match (or watch a match), come on out.
    The 2 holsters I spoke of conceal really well, as long as you wear a cover garment, such as an unbuttoned baseball jersey, camp shirt, etc.
    Once it cools off, it's even easier to hide with flannel shirts or sweatshirts.
    Heck, with a 649, you have even more options. I carry a model 442 j-frame in a pocket holster if I can't wear a cover garment.
    Anyhow, just thought I'd extend the invite since you live relatively close by.
    Good luck.
    Sarhog
    NRA Life Member
    Northwest Florida Defensive Pistol Shooters Member
    Sarhog's gallery

sarhog.. thanks for the invite. i've heard of the matches but never been there. the wife and i might come out one day and watch, but there's no way i'd even think about competing. i'm lucky if i can hit the target most of the time in our backyard once i get more than 21 ft. away. it would be fun to watch though. i'll check their website and let you know.

i just got off the phone with K-Man. i sent him a p.m. describing what i was looking for. he listened to how i wear and why i have to wear that way, then he offered his expertise/recommendation on what i needed. they should be here in about 4 weeks.

Senior Member Array CombatEffective's Avatar
    Cool. Looking forward to pics and a review.
    Shooters' Legacy

Special sections for S&W and Ruger

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links