Best J-Frame Pocket Holster??

This is a discussion on Best J-Frame Pocket Holster?? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Mika! Not so much because it is priced so reasonably, but because it WORKS!! Bought both the rounded and squared bottom models, so I can ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best J-Frame Pocket Holster??

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    Mika!

Not so much because it is priced so reasonably, but because it WORKS!!

Bought both the rounded and squared bottom models, so I can use what fits best in either style of pants. Cargo pants work best with pocket carry.

2. Remove Ads

I haven't recieved my Mika yet so I cannot comment on the usefulness or quality of it. I can however speak about their customer service. I e-mailed Mika with a question about the holster at 9:15pm this past Saturday night. When I got online Sunday morning, there was already a reply to my question. I then placed my order Sunday afternoon. Sunday evening I recieved a phone-call that I missed. I checked my voicemail and it was Mika. He kindly thanked me for my order, told me that I would enjoy the holster and that he would send it out as soon as it was completed. He also said that it may not be the prettiest holster out there, but that it was built for speed, comfort and usefulness(or something like that, I can't remeber exactly) Anyway, the wait time is 5-6 weeks. Customer service like that can't be beat. Like I said I personally cannot comment on the actual holster, as I am on the waiting list, but based on the rave reviews on this website, and judging by the personal customer service by Mika, I am sure this will be a great pocket home for my 637, and I look forward to giving this holster rave reviews just like everyone else.
    Remember, no matter where you go, there you are.

RKBA Leather. I've yet to use, or see, a nicer holster. Used a MIKA with a Kahr, but it felt cheap as hell in comparison, yet was around the same cost as the custom leather one. Always stays in the pocket just as designed to. Couldn't say enough good things about the RKBA pocket holsters.

Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    RKBA Leather. I've yet to use, or see, a nicer holster. Used a MIKA with a Kahr, but it felt cheap as hell in comparison, yet was around the same cost as the custom leather one. Always stays in the pocket just as designed to. Couldn't say enough good things about the RKBA pocket holsters.
    2 questions on the RKBA, how thick is the leather? I'm wanting to minimize added bulk as much as possible. Any issues with the draw stroke - does the holster remain in the pocket?

Thanks.
    Ruger LCR .357 Magnum
    Glock 19
    Mossberg Mariner 590 12 Ga
    Saiga AK-47
    Marlin Model 60

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."

-Ronald Reagan

It looks like right at 1/8" or less. I had mine made with only one "hook," and I've yet to had it even attempt to come out of my pocket. I usually wear slacks that are fairly tight, or cargo shorts that are fairly baggy, and it never comes out on either. The slacks have pretty tight pockets, and the shorts have some large pockets. When I take the gun/holster out of my pocket I normally have to grab the front of the holster with my ring/middle fingers, and make sure that my index and pinky cover the outer edges so the holster doesn't "hook" into my pocket, and get stuck. If I'm actually drawing I just grab the gun and draw - holster stays put every single time.

On mine the inside of the holster against my leg is rough, and the outer that you saw in the first pic is smooth. Purely for looks. He can make them however you like. I have a different type pocket holster by RKBA that is smooth on both, and always remins in the pocket as intended as well.

I had the Mika and it didn't work for me. It carries the gun well enough but offers zero retention. When seated comfortably on the couch, wearing baggy shorts I found the J-frame literall laying next to me. It had slipped out of the holster and pocket because it has zero retention.

BTW, the customer service is the BEST. Robert gave me a refund and told me to keep the holster AND he sent another holster (round bottom to go with my square bottom) and told me that if it didn't work for me then to give it to somebody else!

BTW, the customer service is the BEST. Robert gave me a refund and told me to keep the holster AND he sent another holster (round bottom to go with my square bottom) and told me that if it didn't work for me then to give it to somebody else![/QUOTE]

Wow, a refund and keeping the holster is great. A refund, keeping the holster and being sent another one is UNREAL!

Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    It looks like right at 1/8" or less. I had mine made with only one "hook," and I've yet to had it even attempt to come out of my pocket. I usually wear slacks that are fairly tight, or cargo shorts that are fairly baggy, and it never comes out on either. The slacks have pretty tight pockets, and the shorts have some large pockets. When I take the gun/holster out of my pocket I normally have to grab the front of the holster with my ring/middle fingers, and make sure that my index and pinky cover the outer edges so the holster doesn't "hook" into my pocket, and get stuck. If I'm actually drawing I just grab the gun and draw - holster stays put every single time.

On mine the inside of the holster against my leg is rough, and the outer that you saw in the first pic is smooth. Purely for looks. He can make them however you like. I have a different type pocket holster by RKBA that is smooth on both, and always remins in the pocket as intended as well.
    Thanks Josh - great looking holster!
    Ruger LCR .357 Magnum
    Glock 19
    Mossberg Mariner 590 12 Ga
    Saiga AK-47
    Marlin Model 60

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."

-Ronald Reagan

Senior Member Array bluelineman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mhiggi02 View Post
    Thanks everyone. Sounds like the Mika's have a huge following. I've looked on their website and have a question for you aficionados, why have most of you selected the rounded bottom vs. the squared bottom? It seems like the square would do a better job keeping the gun in the upright position?

Thanks again!
    I went with round cut for several reasons...

1. I found a guy here selling one for a great deal
    2. I already had a square cut Desantis Nemesis
    3. Takes up less real estate in the pocket

I think the round cut is more versatile. It will fit into any type/shape of pocket & does not move around.

Big +1 on the RKBA. I have tried the UM, the Mika, and even a Hedley. The RKBA beats all of them hands down. The slight hint of retention is what I like best about it. The fit is dead nuts perfect.
    Mine is rough out on both front and back, so it's not very pretty. It is extremely effective though.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
    --GEORGE ORWELL

Safariland. Slick on the inside, suede outside. Doesn't come out of the pocket, and stays open for reholstering.
    Steve

I have a broken in Kramer that is just perfect. PCS looks good as well.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

Administrator
    Isn't the RKBA proprietor a member here?
    "Just blame Sixto"

Sideguard Holsters are great! I have many....

After searching the web for 'pocket holsters' I liked the looks of the Ross POC1 Pocket Guard. I like leather and this one looks like it will do what a pocket holster is supposed to do. I just ordered mine and will let you know what I think of it after I receive it. (for 638)

Joe

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links