Best J-Frame Pocket Holster?? - Page 3

Best J-Frame Pocket Holster??

This is a discussion on Best J-Frame Pocket Holster?? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Don't underestimate the value of an Uncle Mike's #3 pocket holster. I'd put it right up there with the Mika and Nemesis. I'm lucky enough ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best J-Frame Pocket Holster??

Don't underestimate the value of an Uncle Mike's #3 pocket holster. I'd put it right up there with the Mika and Nemesis. I'm lucky enough to have all three.

Blind luck –

I agree concerning the total lack of retention with the MIKA holster. I think that’s what Robert Mika wanted when he designed it. It works like a kind of “pocket liner”. It hides the printing of the gun but stays open completely for withdrawal and also for re-holstering.

That said, it’s strengths can also become weaknesses depending on the pockets involved. I found it ideal for a quick trip to the store or for putting into the pocket of my sweats when I answer the door at night etc. It’s great for putting into a coat pocket for carry in that way.

Although I’m a fan of the Mika and definitely feel that it is probably the best buy for the money – I too wanted a little more retention exactly for the reason you mentioned. It would be nice if it had worked perfectly for every application. But like most things – there is some compromise in design.

I figured that Robert wouldn’t mind if I added a stitch or two to the holster. I just added a few quick stitches to the holster just under the rear of the trigger guard. That snugged it up just a bit. The gun no longer falls out of loose slacks when I lounge around. At the same time, it still draws and re-holsters quite nicely for me.

If it had come with the stitches it may not have been loose enough for the next guy’s application.
    I suppose that if someone didn’t sit down with it in loose slacks it wouldn’t need any modification at all.

It now does it all - for me at least.

I must admit that I probably could find something better if I was willing to spend more money for the occasional times I pocket carry. No need to now.

MARV

which one is good for levi 501 pockets? most look to big----------------------------------Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rustynail View Post
    which one is good for levi 501 pockets? most look to big----------------------------------Thanks
    The Blackbird from Pocket Concealment Systems.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

Senior Member Array bluelineman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rustynail View Post
    IMO, jeans are not ideal for pocket carry. That's why I got some cargo pants/shorts. The slanted pockets & pleated fronts help a lot.

Time for a little shameless self-promotion. I build leather pocket holsters. I carry my j-frame 442 in one of my holsters and my customers have been very satisfied with their holsters.
    6/7 Oz. cowhide
    277 Weight Thread for strength
    Molded on one side for retention while seated
    Flat on the outside to reduce "printing"
    Built rough side out to retain the holster in your pocket while drawing the weapon.

Randy
    randy@bulldogleathercompany.com
    Attached Images
    Randy

After experimenting on different pocket holsters, my number 1 pick is the one from Kramer - Hard to Beat!!!

Kramer Pocket Holster for S&W 442 and 36:

SA EMP ~ Sig P232s ~ Walther PP ~ Makarov ~ S&W 442 ~ Ruger LCP
    HK USP Compact ~ HK P2000sk ~ RIA Tactical ~ FN Hi-Power ~ Sig GSR C3

Quote Originally Posted by Joe70 View Post
    After searching the web for 'pocket holsters' I liked the looks of the Ross POC1 Pocket Guard. I like leather and this one looks like it will do what a pocket holster is supposed to do. I just ordered mine and will let you know what I think of it after I receive it. (for 638)

Joe
    Thank you, please do Joe.
    Ruger LCR .357 Magnum
    Glock 19
    Mossberg Mariner 590 12 Ga
    Saiga AK-47
    Marlin Model 60

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."

-Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by randyc74 View Post
    Time for a little shameless self-promotion. I build leather pocket holsters. I carry my j-frame 442 in one of my holsters and my customers have been very satisfied with their holsters.
    6/7 Oz. cowhide
    277 Weight Thread for strength
    Molded on one side for retention while seated
    Flat on the outside to reduce "printing"
    Built rough side out to retain the holster in your pocket while drawing the weapon.

Randy
    randy@bulldogleathercompany.com
    Randy, could you make one that accommodates the Lasermax laser? Note that it sits above the cylinder - see pic below. I've found this to be a problem with most pocket holsters except for the Mika and the Uncle Mike's. If so, what are the details, options, cost, turnaround time? Thanks.
    Attached Images
    Ruger LCR .357 Magnum
    Glock 19
    Mossberg Mariner 590 12 Ga
    Saiga AK-47
    Marlin Model 60

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."

-Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by Marvin Knox View Post
    Blind luck –

I agree concerning the total lack of retention with the MIKA holster. I think that’s what Robert Mika wanted when he designed it. It works like a kind of “pocket liner”. It hides the printing of the gun but stays open completely for withdrawal and also for re-holstering.

That said, it’s strengths can also become weaknesses depending on the pockets involved. I found it ideal for a quick trip to the store or for putting into the pocket of my sweats when I answer the door at night etc. It’s great for putting into a coat pocket for carry in that way.

Although I’m a fan of the Mika and definitely feel that it is probably the best buy for the money – I too wanted a little more retention exactly for the reason you mentioned. It would be nice if it had worked perfectly for every application. But like most things – there is some compromise in design.

I figured that Robert wouldn’t mind if I added a stitch or two to the holster. I just added a few quick stitches to the holster just under the rear of the trigger guard. That snugged it up just a bit. The gun no longer falls out of loose slacks when I lounge around. At the same time, it still draws and re-holsters quite nicely for me.

If it had come with the stitches it may not have been loose enough for the next guy’s application.
    I suppose that if someone didn’t sit down with it in loose slacks it wouldn’t need any modification at all.

It now does it all - for me at least.

I must admit that I probably could find something better if I was willing to spend more money for the occasional times I pocket carry. No need to now.

MARV
    My view of the Mika holsters is that tey are much too bulky.
    Jerry

Mhiggi02

PM Sent
    Randy
    Randy

Senior Member Array bluelineman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JerryM View Post
    My view of the Mika holsters is that tey are much too bulky.
    Jerry
    What do you carry yours in?

I like the looks of that Kramer pocket holster above.

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by Joe70 View Post
    After searching the web for 'pocket holsters' I liked the looks of the Ross POC1 Pocket Guard. I like leather and this one looks like it will do what a pocket holster is supposed to do. I just ordered mine and will let you know what I think of it after I receive it. (for 638)

Joe
    Well I received my Ross POC1 Pocket Guard and it's on it's way back today. The illustration on CCWSUPPLY.BIZ - Products and Info For Those Who Carry Concealed shows an auto with the trigger covered, but shows available for my 638. The trigger guard on mine is NOT covered and I feel too dangerous to carry in pocket. Phil of CCW supply stated (when I questioned this) that "No manufactures of leather holsters which I carry cover the trigger guard on revolvers-but all cover the trigger guard on pistol holsters". Yet, his "choosing pocket carry instructions: states, "It provides all three of the requirements of a well made holster, it covers the trigger guard etc." Since the holster is not what I ordered I'm asking for credit for purchase AND shipping, both from and to.(Oh yeah, his site also shows a Galco pocket holster, in leather, and pick of revolver type show the trigger guard covered.) We will see.
    Joe

I'm again in the market for a pocket holster for my S&W 638. Now looking at the Safariland #25 and the RKAB. Any more users of these?
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by mhiggi02 View Post
    Thank you, please do Joe.
    Read report above on the Ross. I just ordered a Mika for my 638 and a week ago ordered a Fist #7 for my G30. What do you carry your G30 in? I just got mine and needed a holster. After looking on here at many decided on the Fist.
    Joe

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links