Holster experiences from women?

This is a discussion on Holster experiences from women? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I posted this on The Firing Line and The High Road forums but got no responses. Perhaps I'll have better luck here. I'm helping my ...

Thread: Holster experiences from women?

Holster experiences from women?

I posted this on The Firing Line and The High Road forums but got no responses. Perhaps I'll have better luck here.

I'm helping my wife choose a holster for her new CCW gun (a commander sized 1911). I posted something a few weeks ago but my wife instructed me to post something that will (hopefully) be more helpful.

She's been looking at a number of different holsters and reading a some opinions about holsters that are specifically designed to fit women.

What we're really looking for here are experiences that other women have had when choosing a holster of their own. What has worked, what hasn't worked and why. She specifically wants experiences from females. These boards are surely dominated by men and men have lots of experiences that they're happy to share but a mans experience with choosing a holster isn't as helpful as one would think.

My wife is about 5'10". She has an hourglass figure and she's short waisted.

Again, we appreciate all the helpful men on the board but we'd like to restrict this to experiences of women in choosing their holsters. She's willing to try just about anything but hearing others' experiences might save us from buying some expensive holsters that don't work.

While specific holster recommendations are welcome, we're also interested in hearing about things that didn't work and why.

In an effort to increase the number of responses we'd be happy to hear from men who have actually helped their significant others in the holster buying process.

2. Remove Ads

Probably the best resource out there:
    info@HideAwayKnife.com

Her "user name" is FrontSight (or FS), and she's the designer/founder of www.hideawayknife.com , Forum Mod on www.badlandsforums.com , and occassionally seen on THR, GT, PCT, and TPI. Part of the difficulty (aside from hips), is the variability of a woman's waist. Some are "longer" in the torso than others- basically this is a measure of the distance between the lower rib and the hip bone. Obviously, this is true of men as well, but is more pronounced with some femme's. Good luck!

Duh! I "over-read" what you said about her waist! Sorry!

Assistant Administrator
    FrontSight (from GA) has just joined us here - same person hopefully?

I have tried to talk my wife into wearing a belt (so I can set her up with a rig) but she never has worn one and doesn't want to start
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Administrative Ban Array Bruces45's Avatar
    So your wife carries a commander 1911 huh? Well sir you are a lucky man, treat her right and give her all the ammo she needs . I am guessing she wants to carry on person right? What does she do for a living? What type of clothes does she wear? Is she left handed? What position (on the clock) does she perfer? Don't worrie all these question pertain to finding the perfect holster, although 1911 chicks have a special place in my heart Keep us posted

VIP Member
    I went through a small-of-back holster, but stopped after I heard of lower back injuries resulting from slipping and landing on them (and I've got a fused spine). I carried a Bianchi IWB strongside holster with a G23, but it felt like a brick. I've been using the Ace Case bellyband since, so I really can't comment on other holsters. I know there's holsters specifically designed to fit a woman's curves, but I've never used them. I'm going to copy/paste my old post on my bellyband:

I use an Ace Case brand bellyband holster. Instead of around the belly, I wear it lower around the hips. It hides my gun like magic, and it's very fast, easy and silent to draw from. You just "peel" the gun out.

In the summertime, all I have to do is suck in my belly once in a while to let in some air so it doesn't really get hot and sweaty. Retention is decent, but one-handed reholstering is difficult. I wouldn't recommend continuously jumping up and down on a trampoline with it, but I haven't had a problem jogging with it. Your jeans/pants also help with retention if you wear it lower where I do. If you're in a groundfight, it might work it's way out.

I've tried several different kinds, but always come back to the Ace Case and that's what I've been using for the past 5 years. The elastic is 6" wide and displaces the weight of the gun very well - in fact, sometimes I have to "check" to make sure it's still there. I'm small and skinny, and that bellyband works like magic to make that gun disappear into my side, because there's no bulk to increase the gun's profile.

If you wear it so the gun is in the 5 o'clock position, you will have the two mag slots in the 11 o'clock position. I can holster a j-frame up to my USPc in the band.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Links