I am finally considering Smart Carry

This is a discussion on I am finally considering Smart Carry within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I recently picked up a G26 as my summer carry/BUG for my G19. I've considered ankle carry for the 26, but am concerned about the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I am finally considering Smart Carry

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar

I am finally considering Smart Carry

I recently picked up a G26 as my summer carry/BUG for my G19. I've considered ankle carry for the 26, but am concerned about the holster slipping down my ankle when I move about. I've seen several posts on here about the Smart Carry holster, and at first didn't like the idea of having a gun so close to the family jewels, but I figure as long as the trigger is covered, it shouldn't be a big problem. I've seen several pictures of folks wearing the Smart Carry and it does look a bit uncomfortable especially when sitting down. Also does the Smart Carry have some sort of retention to hold the gun in place? Thanks in advance!
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar

Cool

I recently puchased a 'Thunderware' for deep carry.

Your more brave than I though. I don't think I'd carry that close to 'my jewels' if I carried a glock.

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

Quote Originally Posted by P7fanatic View Post
    I recently puchased a 'Thunderware' for deep carry.

Your more brave than I though. I don't think I'd carry that close to 'my jewels' if I carried a glock.

Carrying a Glock next to your family jewels is as safe as any other handgun in the same location... keep your finger off the trigger until you are prepared to destroy what you are aiming at, unless you plan on destroying your family jewels

And as far as any retention - NO, there is not retention. I have a Smart Carry and recently added a Glock 26 to my collection. I see no reason not to carry this way when no other holster options work. Wear it around the house to begin with and see were it feels best for you.
    Be Observant and Be Safe.

Current: S&W 442, Springfield XD9sc, XDm9, and Glock G26, G19, G23C,
    and SIG P226-40 TT, and Ruger GP-100, and Beretta 92FS
    Former: Taurus 92SS, SIG P220 TT, S&W 360, SIG P239-40, Ruger 22/45 MKII

Senior Member Array HowardCohodas's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by spyderdude View Post
    I've seen several pictures of folks wearing the Smart Carry and it does look a bit uncomfortable especially when sitting down. Also does the Smart Carry have some sort of retention to hold the gun in place? Thanks in advance!
    It took me perhaps three weeks before I had developed a comfortable rhythm. I played with the "belt size." The elastic will stretch so I did tighten it over time but that has now stopped. The muzzle hangs a little low when I'm walking so when I sit (or bend) I hike up my pants and surreptitiously grab the SmartCarry with my thumbs and hike it up at the same time. I've always hiked up my pants this way, so no difference here. When I'm sitting the M&P is nearly vertical.
    Howard
    I carry a gun because I can't carry a cop!!
    Politically Incorrect Self Defense

Quote Originally Posted by spyderdude View Post
    I recently picked up a G26 as my summer carry/BUG for my G19. I've considered ankle carry for the 26, but am concerned about the holster slipping down my ankle when I move about. I've seen several posts on here about the Smart Carry holster, and at first didn't like the idea of having a gun so close to the family jewels, but I figure as long as the trigger is covered, it shouldn't be a big problem. I've seen several pictures of folks wearing the Smart Carry and it does look a bit uncomfortable especially when sitting down. Also does the Smart Carry have some sort of retention to hold the gun in place? Thanks in advance!
    Spyderdude, the Smartcarry holster is a fine holster but typically for the purposes of deeper concealment. As with any holster, there are advantages and disadvantages to everything and I would suggest wearing pants a little bit baggier just to have some more room in there. With this holster, the gun is not actually pointed at "the family jewels" and if it is, you are probably not wearing it correctly. It hangs a bit lower, sorta below the hips and from the pelvic area. It is quite comfortable and you could be wearing sweats and a t-shirt at home and it would feel just as normal as anything else.

Sitting down is when you are going to have the slowest draw as it is not all that easy to access in that situation but with practice, one can learn to draw from it as quickly as just about any other holster from sitting and/or standing. The time that is most uncomfortable for me is kneeling over to tie my shoes and crouching. Everything else is just fine and nobody would ever have a clue you were carrying.

There is no "retension" per sey, but the gun fits in there snug as does the spare magazine and I have never had any movement or issues with my Glock falling out. In fact, I have read of several people that run and workout while using this holster without issue.

I would recommend it as an additional option for summer concealment.
    Peace through superior firepower

Luke 11:21
    "When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed.

It will work better for some than others. I never found a position for the holster that was comfortable sitting down, so I sent it back. I made the mistake of buying a "Thunderwear" version, the jerks charged me $5.00 for not returning the printed paper flier and heat-sealed plastic bag it came in. I would NOT recommend trying their product if you want to get one of these types of holsters.
    - Kurt
    “Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it.” ~Pericles of Athens
    Primary Carry - Colt Commander .45 in a Brommeland Max-Con V

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    Thanks everyone for the feedback. I'm going to put this one on the list, but will look at other options first.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

Quote Originally Posted by Flintlock View Post
    I would suggest wearing pants a little bit baggier just to have some more room in there. With this holster, the gun is not actually pointed at "the family jewels" and if it is, you are probably not wearing it correctly. It hangs a bit lower, sorta below the hips and from the pelvic area. It is quite comfortable and you could be wearing sweats and a t-shirt at home and it would feel just as normal as anything else.
    +several

I just ordered my 3rd Smartcarry (2 different sizes, and a second of one size so I can wash and air dry, yet still have one available).

I have one and use it. Usually depends on what I'm wearing though. Mine carrys a G19. It is comfortable enough to sit it with no problems. I also use IWB. Buy it, I think you will learn to like it.
    Okiemountaineer

The Smartcarry has it's place. For deep concealment, there really isn't a better option, and for work, it's my only option. I don't think you'll be disapointed, and I believe they still have a pretty good return policy if it doesn't work for you.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

i was really curious about this type of carry setup and made my own, but made a couple of minor mods. so far i like the set up. it's comfortable and does not print enough to make a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by xwarp View Post
    i was really curious about this type of carry setup and made my own, but made a couple of minor mods. so far i like the set up. it's comfortable and does not print enough to make a difference.

Wow, that's an impressive job you did there. Nice set-up. The only difference I see besides color, is that I think the pistol rides just a little bit further inside the holster in the factory models, which offers a little better "retension".
    Peace through superior firepower

Luke 11:21
    "When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed.

it's hard to see in the picture, but the pistol is snug in the pocket and with it on, retension is good.
    Last edited by xwarp; May 11th, 2008 at 01:43 AM. Reason: rephrase

I have a smart carry that I use for my XD .40. It is the biggest pistol I own, and yet conceals the best when I use this holster. It is a little slower to draw from, but when I have to wear the bear minimum, it does the trick well. It's not for every day carry, but it does it's job very well.

+1 Smart Carry
    Dave
    Springfield XD .40 Service
    Para Ord Hawg 9
    Kahr CW9
    S&W 22A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joBMq...eature=related

I had the chance to borrow a Thunderwear setup for my J frame. I always said that I would never carry that way, now I think it's a great way to carry. Only a short time to get used to it (wearing and drawing) and not at all uncomfortable. When the stimulus check lands I might get a Smart Carry or a Thunderwear.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links