Wanna be holster makers

This is a discussion on Wanna be holster makers within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Found this to be a good write up with pics- The DIY Holstermaker and this- How to Make a Simple Belt Holster...

Thread: Wanna be holster makers

Wanna be holster makers

Found this to be a good write up with pics-

The DIY Holstermaker

and this-

How to Make a Simple Belt Holster
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

2. Remove Ads

Awesome writeups! Thanks!

Disclaimer: I'm far from a pro... I wrote that first one up there to answer a lot of questions I get when I post up a new holster I've made. What I've outlined there works for me, so far (I'm still learning, myself), but it doesn't necessarily mean that's the best/only/recommended way to do it. For fellow DIYers, I highly recommend browsing the holster section at Pistolsmith.com where you'll find tips from the masters such as Uncle Lou, Bulman, Garrity, and many more.

that's awesome. i may attempt to make a leather holster for the fun of it, but doubt it would come out that good.

in my search for concealed carry setup, i found the smartcarry. due to impatience and extreme boredom this past saturday, i made one. i can tell you that it is very comfortable and the guns fits in there very well.

Wow, great info. I made a pocket holster per the intructions on KTOG.org and it came out pretty good. I wish I'd seen these though. I've been toying with the idea of making my own holsters to experiment with designs. Good stuff, thank you!
    In God we trust, everyone else keep your hands where I can see them.

Rights are like muscles: If you don't excersise them they slowly disappear.

Great articles.

I doubt I'll ever make time to build my own holster, but it's very interesting to see the basics of how it's done.

tag for later reading

Good info! I've been making my own holsters for a little while. I hate to 're-invent the wheel' on some of this stuff, and this web site helped.
    If only the militia can be armed, will the government pick the loyalists or the patriots?

Was it our Founding Fathers intent to let someone like King George pick who can be a militia?

Awsome info. I have just recently made my own holster. The people at Tandy leather have classes every Thursday where I live and help you with any leather projects for free. Of course you buy the equipment and leather. We did things in a little different order, but the info was very similar to the OP. Here's a couple of pics (please don't laugh)...there's a lot of things I would do different next time.
    front

back

Quote Originally Posted by swiftdraw View Post
    Awsome info. I have just recently made my own holster. The people at Tandy leather have classes every Thursday where I live and help you with any leather projects for free. Of course you buy the equipment and leather. We did things in a little different order, but the info was very similar to the OP. Here's a couple of pics (please don't laugh)...there's a lot of things I would do different next time.
    front

back
    damn...looks pretty darn good to me.

Thanks for the link... I may have to give it a try.
    Ahhh, what an awful dream. Ones and zeros everywhere... and I thought I saw a two.

Mods, is it worth considering to "sticky" a thread about DIY leather holster work and or how to sites? I think a lot of people are getting into this, and it's always fun to at least look at folks' efforts.
    What Would Gumby Do?

I looked at both links and not bad.

One suggestion is not use a cutting edge groover because it weakens the leather by cutting the top skin of the leather were most of the strength is.

Everybody does things differently and I do but it is a way to make your own. Tandy is great for teaching you the basics, getting materials and then the sickness starts. Punching holes is much easier than a hand awl and less bloody trust me I know.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Links