CTac Minotaur - Work carry success! Very tuckable!!

This is a discussion on CTac Minotaur - Work carry success! Very tuckable!! within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I didn't at first think I was going to be able to use my CTac Minotaur for tucked concealed carry while at work. However, for ...

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar

I didn't at first think I was going to be able to use my CTac Minotaur for tucked concealed carry while at work. However, for the past few days I have been working with different combinations of concealment using my CompTac Minotaur and my daily carry XD45 Service pistol.

Where I work, concealment is an absolute must. I am not allowed, by company policy, to carry a firearm. That being said, this is not a post to give any reason for any of you to do as I have done and go against company policy. I am in no way condoning this action, I simply choose to do so because of reasons not necessary to this post. But my choice does present me with the necessity to always remain concealed with minimal to no printing while in certain areas (around upper management).

Also, necessary to my job, I am required to wear company apparel which consists of my own supplied choice of pants (jeans or khaki style casuals) and company issued logo t-shirts or polo style shirts. Winter jackets are also issued and makes concealment a lot easier for four or five weeks a year.

Shirts must be tucked at my job. Tee-shirts and polos make tucked concealment a challenge with a large pistol. Button down shirts are difficult enough but they are not as body-clinging as polos and tee's are. Fortunately our polo's are black and high quality thick cotton material.

Here is my solution, and today, it worked very very well! I am now 90% confident I can carry at work and after the rest of this week of concealed carry I will be 100% confident or fired. Whichever comes first . . .

My solution:

As said before, CompTac Mtac Minotaur holster. J-clips for now. Soon to be standard 5 position clips.

XD45acp 4" Service pistol. No extra mag at this time. One step at a time here.

The Beltman 1.5" bullhide belt. A good sturdy gunbelt is a must with a large heavy pistol.

One size larger pant waist size. Makes restroom visits a little easier and is definitely easier on the gut for us "larger" guys.

Polo style shirt, dark in color and heavy fabric. Forget tucking a tee shirt if its white. Black guns show through the white cloth. In either case, dark tee-shirt or polo, it MUST be at least two sizes larger than your usual. I use a large normally but now I have 2XL in their place.

The Mtac Minotaur is very tuckable. If you look at it and pull out on the clips you will see a lot of space is available between the kydex holster portion and the inside of the clips. This is where you will tuck your shirt tail on your carry side between the gun and the waistband of your pants. When tucking in before you leave for work or wherever you are going, just stuff that big ol' shirt tail down inside your pants and down between the holster and your waist band. After you button, zip and belt everything down, start pulling the shirt tail out of your waistband until you get plenty of over-sag all around.
    You dont want to have sag only on your gun side. This will look too odd.

This is why you need a much larger shirt to gain a lot more shirt tail. You will need this extra length so you can still remain tucked but yet have a lot more shirt that you can pull out of your waistband so it will kind of "billow" out and look not-so-neatly tucked. This means not tight to your body too! The shirt will billow out at the waist and give you lots of room for the butt of your pistol. This also will prevent printing in almost every position.

I chose to wear a t-shirt as an undershirt, tucked into my undershorts, just for comfort from the holster against my body/skin for 10 hours of carry.

A buddy of mine, who does contract work for our company, came by my office. I asked him if I looked different than normal. He said not at all that he could tell. I walked around, acted normal and did other office type things. He could not tell I was carrying and he is himself a CCW carrier.

I made several intentional visits to the offices downstairs and around all of my immediate managers. While I did make efforts to try to keep my gunside profile turned from their direct view, I could not always do this. Still, I was never made and never felt as if anyone suspected. My next addition will be the new standard clips from CTac so I can get a little more cant from my Minotaur holster. That is mostly a comfort adjustment not a concealment issue though, but should also add some level of extra concealment.

Today was successful and confidence building to say the least! I am finally happy with my choice of holster for concealed carry at work.
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

Glad you found a way to do it, Mike. My work shirts are the best to conceal with...

Keith, I bet you get to go untucked huh
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.

did anyone notice the j clips?

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    Medium shirts fit me well. I wear them tucked in and hide my Govt well.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

Senior Member Array HowardCohodas's Avatar
    SmartCarry -- no clips
    Howard
    I carry a gun because I can't carry a cop!!
    Politically Incorrect Self Defense

Quote Originally Posted by LabTech View Post
    did anyone notice the j clips?
    Only someone who knows IWB holsters would notice the small amount of the J-clip that is exposed from behind the belt. If wearing a dark or black belt, they dont show up much. I also carry a cell phone in that area of my waist and it might look like part of the cell phone holster to them. No one has said anything or given me any indication that they suspect.

I carried for 13 hours at work today without a hitch! (I worked some over time)

Quote Originally Posted by Tally XD View Post
    Keith, I bet you get to go untucked huh
    I am not required to tuck my shirts in... They would prefer it, but it is not mandatory.

But remember where I work... I cannot carry. No questions asked. Can't leave it in my vehicle.

I am unarmed until I come home...

Quote Originally Posted by KG4ZRC View Post
    I am not required to tuck my shirts in... They would prefer it, but it is not mandatory.

But remember where I work... I cannot carry. No questions asked. Can't leave it in my vehicle.

I am unarmed until I come home...
    Even with the new law effective in July . . .you cannot leave your weapon in your vehicle??

I actually started tucking my shirts b/c of the MTAC. It just works so well.

I'm really pleased how well the MTAC tucks. I'm waiting for my CPL permit, but have been wearing the holster with polo shirts tucked everyday. Very comfortable and no one notices...

I am another Comp-Tac customer that is 100% satisfied with their design.

In fact, I had a look at an MTAC today at the factory. Neat holster.

I just got my CTac Minotaur Holster for my Para full size 1911 and I find that it is very concealable. I could not tell I had it one when I looked in the mirror.

Quote Originally Posted by Tally XD View Post
    Even with the new law effective in July . . .you cannot leave your weapon in your vehicle??
    Tally, it's been a while since we have met up, but I still work on Tyndall AFB...

The Ultimate Gun Free Zone...

Links