OWB Don Hume holster for GP100?

This is a discussion on OWB Don Hume holster for GP100? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello, I have been looking for a comfortable holster for my 3" barrel gp100 for a while now. I've tried several IWB holsters and have ...

Thread: OWB Don Hume holster for GP100?

OWB Don Hume holster for GP100?

Hello,

I have been looking for a comfortable holster for my 3" barrel gp100 for a while now. I've tried several IWB holsters and have come to the conclusion that IWB for me is only good for an auto. So I want to give a high ride OWB a try.

I have been impressed with Don Hume's products and since they seem to be one of the few that actually makes holsters for the gp100 I decided to go for them.

The three options I am looking at are the:

J.I.T. Slide
    H721 Open top
    H721

The only reason I am thinking of using the retention strap is because most of the weight of the gp100 would be near the mouth of the holster and I have concerns about the retention of such a short barrel with the first two holsters. Is this a valid concern?

Also which would be a better option for a concealable high ride holster for the 3" GP100, the JIT or the H721?

2. Remove Ads

I've heard nothing but good things about the 721 and 721OT. They're not the very best, but a very good bang for your buck. Several on this forum have had theirs for years. When I originally was looking at an OWB for my Glock, I wanted the 721OT. I ended up getting a Bianchi Shadow 7 instead --- the gunstore I frequent didn't have any 721OTs in stock and I wanted one RIGHT NOW .
    “Laws that forbid the carrying of arms . . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes . . .
    ----- Thomas Jefferson

NRA member

Yeah I definitely seem to have that right now mentality.

I've tried several IWB holsters and have come to the conclusion that IWB for me is only good for an auto.
    Not to derail this thread, but I'm curious what you've tried?

Did you resize your pants to accomodate the gun in there? Are you using a gunbelt and not a cheap "floppy" belt? Are you using a quality holster that helps to maximize concealment?

I wear a GP100 with a 3" Barrel most days in a Milt Sparks Summer Special II and find it to be one of the most concealable guns in my carry stable.

Biker

Not to derail this thread, but I'm curious what you've tried?
    Admittedly I've only tried cheap IWB holsters and the don hume h715 clip on IWB. While it concealed fine, it was horrid in the comfort department. Yet my Sig p226 was great with the various IWB holsters i've ran. It may be a misguided conclusion that IWB doesn't work for my revolver, but it's all I have to go on. I did however find a great link for converting the 721 to an IWB.

Hidden Defense: Another conversion from OWB to IWB - the OTI holster

So I figure why not try to kill two birds with one stone.

I do like IWB holsters however, as I feel more confident they are hidden.

I would go with the H721OT, I use this holster for my .40 cal Hi-Power.
    I also carry a KelTec Pf9 in the J.I.T and over time it has moved away from my body due to stretching so I can't recommend it for a heavier firearm.

Before anyone asks I do use a gun-belt from Looper Leather.

kracker

well alright, that sold me... h721OT is it. Thank you very much guys.

I use both the 721 ot and the 721 with the strap and like them both....I had to do the wax paper thing with the ot as it was a good tight fit but once I broke in holster it works sweet.
    I can't say any thing bad about don hume holsters at all and the price is right if you shop around.
    check this site for prices as this is what I used and could not find it cheaper any where else
    GunsAtCost.com: D HUME H720 36-4 GLK 19,23,32 BLK RH
    Glock 23
    Beretta 92fs
    Ruger Mark 3
    S&W 642
    Looking

I have 2 Don Hume 721OT's. One for my Glock 19 and 23c, and the other for my Glock 26. After waiting weeks for first one, I found out that Gunner's Alley has a lot of these in stock... the second took about a week to get, and that was only because they did not have one in stock, otherwise I'm sure it would have been here in 3 or 4 days. Check out Gunner's Alley
    Be Observant and Be Safe.

Current: S&W 442, Springfield XD9sc, XDm9, and Glock G26, G19, G23C,
    and SIG P226-40 TT, and Ruger GP-100, and Beretta 92FS
    Former: Taurus 92SS, SIG P220 TT, S&W 360, SIG P239-40, Ruger 22/45 MKII

The 721 may be a great holster but the J.I.T. I bought for my S&W 66 was just plain crap. I can't offer any input on the 721 but you did well in avoiding the J.I.T.

The leather was extremely thin, unfinished and rough on the inside (each draw would result in rough leather fibers embedded in the front sight around the colored insert) and it barely covered the trigger, much less the trigger guard. Just thought you should know. Please post pics of the 721 when you get it, I'd like to have a better impression of the company.
    Jack

Senior Member Array bluelineman's Avatar
    Gunners Alley is a good place to go for the H721OT. I have one for my Glock 26. I called Don Hume to see what they had in stock at the time. They were very nice. They sold me a hand boned H721OT for a good deal. They didn't have it listed on their website, the lady went to see "what they had in the back" so I didn't have to wait for one.

Quote Originally Posted by maclean3 View Post
    The 721 may be a great holster but the J.I.T. I bought for my S&W 66 was just plain crap. I can't offer any input on the 721 but you did well in avoiding the J.I.T.

The leather was extremely thin, unfinished and rough on the inside (each draw would result in rough leather fibers embedded in the front sight around the colored insert) and it barely covered the trigger, much less the trigger guard. Just thought you should know. Please post pics of the 721 when you get it, I'd like to have a better impression of the company.
    Jack
    I'll get the war dept. to post pics of my Hi-Power in a 721 tonight.

Links