Need some help guys (HOLSTER FOR A G23C)!!

This is a discussion on Need some help guys (HOLSTER FOR A G23C)!! within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Let me start off by introducing myself. I'm new to DefensiveCarry.com. I'm a pretty large guy..6'4" 325lbs, in search of the right holster for my ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need some help guys (HOLSTER FOR A G23C)!!

Need some help guys (HOLSTER FOR A G23C)!!

Let me start off by introducing myself. I'm new to DefensiveCarry.com. I'm a pretty large guy..6'4" 325lbs, in search of the right holster for my G23C. I have tried some of the IWB like Crossbreed holsters, and a few other off the shelves like Galco, and Bianchi. Hated them...I now know that IWB are not for me, unless it was small enough to tuck and not feel all that extra leather. Right now, I'm trying out a Galco Jaqui slide Jak202. It's not bad except the back of the slide tends to dig into my side a bit when I carry. I tried the OWB and it didn't quite fit my concealing needs. They seem to hang off my belt a bit (GUN BELT ON ORDER), and that's not good for concealment. I also have a Blackhawk Serpa, this works great, it just requires me to wear extra clothes.. So...I have come to the conclusion that OWB but between the belt and pants is my way to go, but I need something (a piece of leather or flap) that protects my skin from the back of the slide that keeps wanting to dig into me, and that will keep open when I unholster. The Jaqui or (yaqui) collapses everytime, and is a bit too small to distribute the weight enough for my comfort. I also have a Para Ordinance P-13 Limited that I carry with a Galco Avenger which works nicely in the winter and a coat..But my G23C is my main carry piece..I know I'm being picky as hell, but I am hoping for someone with similar problems that could possibly shed some light on my dilema. I have found that the 4-430 position is most comfortable for me...any suggestions guys?

2. Remove Ads

Finding the perfect OWB takes some time and $ investment. What one person may reccomend may not work well with you. I personally prefer a high riding vertical canted, close to my body OWB worn around 3:30-4:00. So far of all the OWB's I have tried and there have been many, I found Mitch Rosen's UPL to be perfect for me although there is no sweat shield to protect your body from the slide. I agree that IWB is not comfortable although there are a select few that I really like (Bulman's PDL)

Here is a crappy pic of my G23 in the Express (cheaper) Rosen UPL
    <P>

Well, you may ultimately decide that between the belt and pants is the way to go, but I don't think you've given real OWB holsters a fair chance. I consider the Yaqui slide to be one of the worst concealment holsters. They have very little retention and the way they're built does nothing to draw the gun close up against the body.

You should try a good quality pancake style holster. The best ones are made to hug the body very tightly and conceal the gun amazingly well, and most of them are offered with body shields/sweat panels to keep the gun away from your body. The really good ones from custom makers are made of stiff leather that won't collapse when you draw the gun, making re-holstering a non-issue.

If you want something fairly quickly, I highly recommend Kramer horsehide or Mitch Rosen Expressline holsters. If you're not in a hurry then there's a world of good options out there. Good luck!
    "Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!" - Patrick Henry

Quote Originally Posted by N-frame Smith View Post
    Well, you may ultimately decide that between the belt and pants is the way to go, but I don't think you've given real OWB holsters a fair chance. I consider the Yaqui slide to be one of the worst concealment holsters. They have very little retention and the way they're built does nothing to draw the gun close up against the body.

You should try a good quality pancake style holster. The best ones are made to hug the body very tightly and conceal the gun amazingly well, and most of them are offered with body shields/sweat panels to keep the gun away from your body. The really good ones from custom makers are made of stiff leather that won't collapse when you draw the gun, making re-holstering a non-issue.

If you want something fairly quickly, I highly recommend Kramer horsehide or Mitch Rosen Expressline holsters. If you're not in a hurry then there's a world of good options out there. Good luck!
    Now with you're saying pancake do you mean the wide ones that lay against the body? (Paddle style?) Let me know, I'm looking at the Mitch Rosen's and don't see any with a sweat shield? Let me know here or send me a PM, thanks.Also, can you give me some direction on a high quality holster? Thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by orangehole View Post
    Finding the perfect OWB takes some time and $ investment. What one person may reccomend may not work well with you. I personally prefer a high riding vertical canted, close to my body OWB worn around 3:30-4:00. So far of all the OWB's I have tried and there have been many, I found Mitch Rosen's UPL to be perfect for me although there is no sweat shield to protect your body from the slide. I agree that IWB is not comfortable although there are a select few that I really like (Bulman's PDL)

Here is a crappy pic of my G23 in the Express (cheaper) Rosen UPL
    <P>
    The PDL is a IWB isn't it, or is that used between the belt and pants?

The Bulman PDL is an IWB. I was just saying the PDL is the most comfortable IWB I have tried.

Quote Originally Posted by orangehole View Post
    The Bulman PDL is an IWB. I was just saying the PDL is the most comfortable IWB I have tried.
    Yeah, I'm just trying to see what options to look at there are so many manufactureres out there you can get lost looking for them.

Have you looked into the K&D holsters?
    K&D Holsters | Custom Gun Leather and Shooting Accessories

I'm thinking about purchasing the either the Eagle or Laredo Defender for my G23. I already have a Dakota Defender IWB for my G27. Also, I use a 5.11 belt (I know there are better belts out there but it works fine for me).

I am an OWB holster person myself, but I have seen an interesting rig that might work. Check out K&D Maverick Defender Holster... it's in Kevin's IWB holster section: K&D IWB Holsters

Kevin does excellent work, and can do custom work. Here is my custom OWB Laredo Defender:

Be Observant and Be Safe.

Current: S&W 442, Springfield XD9sc, XDm9, and Glock G26, G19, G23C,
    and SIG P226-40 TT, and Ruger GP-100, and Beretta 92FS
    Former: Taurus 92SS, SIG P220 TT, S&W 360, SIG P239-40, Ruger 22/45 MKII

Quote Originally Posted by fatboy97 View Post
    I am an OWB holster person myself, but I have seen an interesting rig that might work. Check out K&D Maverick Defender Holster... it's in Kevin's IWB holster section: K&D IWB Holsters

Kevin does excellent work, and can do custom work. Here is my custom OWB Laredo Defender:

Thanks, I'm looking at that Maverick also, I'm going to let that other one showup, then see how that works before I make another decision on a holster. I have a local guy hunting something down for me also, it would be nice if he could find something that I like that works, that I can actually try on.

It is possible to order a holster with a slide shield, give Nate a call at UBG holsters, he makes great stuff, reasonable prices and delivery times. Forget about that Yaqui slide, it gives no real retention, just bump the muzzle taking a seat and see where you gun goes flying.

Administrator
    Order a good custom leather OWB holster with a skin protective slide guard and forget the "between the pants and belt" carry.
    That's just not going to work at all for you and your particular build.

It's also good that you already ordered a gun belt...because you need a proper gun belt in order to carry OWB effectively.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Order a good custom leather OWB holster with a skin protective slide guard and forget the "between the pants and belt" carry.
    That's just not going to work at all for you and your particular build.

It's also good that you already ordered a gun belt...because you need a proper gun belt in order to carry OWB effectively.
    Yes, I am also glad that I have ordered a belt, if not, buying the holster would be in vain. Im currently carrying a Blackhawk serpa, and depending what clothes, it does just fine, can't wait til my Don Hume shows up..along with my belt. Thanks for all the input guys..I will update aas soon as my new gear arrives.

How about the Alessi CQC/S. This is one of the best OWB money can buy. Although very hard to find, sometimes you can get lucky. And then of course you can just place an order and wait, wait, wait and wait . Either case, the CQC/S is WELL WORTH IT!!!

Alessi CQC/S for G-19. Here's pictures with my G-26. I sold the holster beause my G-26 got stolen. Trust me, It won't be long till I get one of these again!

SA EMP ~ Sig P232s ~ Walther PP ~ Makarov ~ S&W 442 ~ Ruger LCP
    HK USP Compact ~ HK P2000sk ~ RIA Tactical ~ FN Hi-Power ~ Sig GSR C3

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links