Dakota Defender question

Dakota Defender question

This is a discussion on Dakota Defender question within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm looking at the Dakota Defender and wondering if the clips on it can be replaced with a set of V-Clips. Does anyone know? I ...

Thread: Dakota Defender question

Dakota Defender question

I'm looking at the Dakota Defender and wondering if the clips on it can be replaced with a set of V-Clips. Does anyone know?

I did email K&D but I'm guessing they are busy building holsters so I thought I'd ask here in case anyone knew.

Thanks.
    "The world is a dangerous place not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it." ~Albert Einstein

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    I think they all connect with Chicago screws, and I have definitely seen people on here talk about putting other company's clips (say, Comp-Tac) onto K&D and other holsters. I don't see why it would be a problem...
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

My experience is that e-mail is not a good way to get them... I've always had them pick right up when I've called.

Hello, Anyone out there have a Dakota Defender with a retention strap? If so I would love to see pictures as my production date is nearing with K&D. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 26glock26 View Post
    Hello, Anyone out there have a Dakota Defender with a retention strap? If so I would love to see pictures as my production date is nearing with K&D. Thanks
    Welcome 26glock26! You'd probably get a better response if you started a new thread with a title that would help people get to your question.

Good luck.
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

Quote Originally Posted by GingerKid View Post
    My experience is that e-mail is not a good way to get them... I've always had them pick right up when I've called.
    I hate to call and bother them if someone here knows the answer. 14-16 week wait on a holster tells me that they (or he) are rather busy. I figured they'd get to email sooner or later but hopefully that isn't a bad assumption.
    "The world is a dangerous place not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it." ~Albert Einstein

I believe Kevin would be willing to talk to you. When I had called and ordered my holster we talked for at least 20 minutes about a lot of different subjects, not just holsters. He is a very knowledgeable person.
    Be Observant and Be Safe.

Current: S&W 442, Springfield XD9sc, XDm9, and Glock G26, G19, G23C,
    and SIG P226-40 TT, and Ruger GP-100, and Beretta 92FS
    Former: Taurus 92SS, SIG P220 TT, S&W 360, SIG P239-40, Ruger 22/45 MKII

Quote Originally Posted by sdkidaho View Post
    I hate to call and bother them if someone here knows the answer. 14-16 week wait on a holster tells me that they (or he) are rather busy. I figured they'd get to email sooner or later but hopefully that isn't a bad assumption.
    Call. Kevin will gladly answer your question.

I am not sure about the V-clips. I think they would work, but don't know for sure.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by kazzaerexys View Post
    I think they all connect with Chicago screws, and I have definitely seen people on here talk about putting other company's clips (say, Comp-Tac) onto K&D and other holsters. I don't see why it would be a problem...
    My K&D Dakota Defender came w/Comp-Tac clips.

Kevin replied to my email and answered. You can buy it with the V-Clips, and as KUmike pointed out they are the Comp-Tac ones. Thanks for the help guys.

Distinguished Member Array Wasabi's Avatar
    Yeah, they must be busy over there. I emailed them some questions 6 days ago and still haven't got a reply. I'll send it again. I'm real interested in a Dakota Defender also but wonder if they have 1.25" clips and are they the 5 hole clips similar to the ones on the new MTACs? Also, what's the deal with the anti-sweat panel? Being in Florida I was wondering if it is essential and does it take away from any comfort?

Quote Originally Posted by Wasabi View Post
    ... Also, what's the deal with the anti-sweat panel? Being in Florida I was wondering if it is essential and does it take away from any comfort?
    Personally, I think the sweat guard is essential with an IWB type holster. It protects the finish of the weapon from corrosive sweat, and having tried an IWB holster with and without the sweat guard, I find it much more comfortable with, rather than without.

Spending my time between Kansas in summer and at relatives' on Marco Island, I can speak from experience.
    Reader, suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But, I repeat myself. ...Mark Twain: Manuscript note, c.1882.
    NRA Life Member & JPFO Member.
    Sig & CZ-aholic, a Ruger SP101 3" & Wiley Clapp GP100

Quote Originally Posted by Wasabi View Post
    Yeah, they must be busy over there. I emailed them some questions 6 days ago and still haven't got a reply. I'll send it again. I'm real interested in a Dakota Defender also but wonder if they have 1.25" clips and are they the 5 hole clips similar to the ones on the new MTACs? Also, what's the deal with the anti-sweat panel? Being in Florida I was wondering if it is essential and does it take away from any comfort?
    Kevin, is always open to talk to anyone. Always impressed me with the sense that he genuinely cares that we get exactly what works best for us. I think that is one of the ways he is better than some other holster makers, plus he'll customize any of his designs to suit your needs, or make a one off custom for you.
    A sweat panel is a panel of leather above the holster pocket that comes between you and your gun. Both the gun and your body will appreciate your having one, saves wear and tear on both.
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Wasabi, you asked about the sweat panel. I agree with the others and would very much suggest getting and IWB with one. You really will not even know it is there. This is a picture of my Cochise Defender with the sweat panel. I would not want it any other way.

As far as K&D Holsters go, I would deal with Kevin any day. He is one of the nicest guys I have ever dealt with. He really does care about you AND what he makes!!

Ron
    Shine on...
    S&W M&P 9c
    S&W 9 Shield
    Taurus Raging Bull .454 Casull
    S&W M&P15 Sport;
    Mossberg 590A1

Distinguished Member Array Wasabi's Avatar
    Thanks for the input on the anti-sweat panel,

Kevin actually called me right after I posted my questions and helped me out. The anti-sweat panel is already included on the Dakota Defender and sounds like it will be very helpful. It looked optional from the website but that's for other holsters listed on that page. Also, they have the 1.25", 5 hole clips available.

I've ordered from Kevin before (2-in-1 Pocket Defender/PM9) and can attest that he does excellent work and also his service is top notch. After answering my questions, it was a no brainer to go ahead and order a Dakota Defender from him. Now all I need to do is figure out if (and which) exotic skin I might want to add. Any good websites with pictures of various skins?

Thanks again.

Links