IWB comfort issues.

This is a discussion on IWB comfort issues. within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well, thanks for all the suggestions. I got a bigger pair of pants and moved the holster a bit further back. Yesterday I made it ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: IWB comfort issues.

Well, thanks for all the suggestions. I got a bigger pair of pants and moved the holster a bit further back. Yesterday I made it until 3pm when I couldn't take it any more. Today I made it until 5pm when I had to get ready for a night out and switched to a pocket carried 442. I think I'm getting used to it as well as the holster breaking in a bit. I think I'll give it another week and then maybe mess with the cant adjustments if there is still an issue.

2. Remove Ads

Administrator

I have found that the very best way to eliminate all discomfort of carrying IWB is to carry OWB.
    While it's not possible for everybody to do that all the time...you should invest in a high quality OWB rig for those times when you are able to wear a light jacket, vest, sweater, or an untucked casual shirt.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Is it the clothes? - For comfortable IWB carry I've found that I need more room in my pants than before, a size up helped tremendously, then I found that by losing about 10-15 lbs it helped give me that little extra space so I could again use my older pants, that's motivation to eat right and exercise
    Most people buy their pants to "fit" them, not them and the gun.

This is often a cause of discomfort when somebody starts to carry IWB. I suggest you unbutton your pants when wearing the gun, and see if it becomes more comfortable. If it does, it's a good indicator that you need to go up 1"-2" in the waistband size of your pants.

I've been carrying IWB so long that I don't have any pants that "fit" without a gun in them.

Biker

Senior Member Array bluelineman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    Most people buy their pants to "fit" them, not them and the gun.

This is often a cause of discomfort when somebody starts to carry IWB. I suggest you unbutton your pants when wearing the gun, and see if it becomes more comfortable. If it does, it's a good indicator that you need to go up 1"-2" in the waistband size of your pants.
    I always test out new clothes with my normal carry rig.

Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    I've been carrying IWB so long that I don't have any pants that "fit" without a gun in them.

Biker
    Me too. My pants are loose & I have to tighten up my belt more when I have to disarm.

I'm looking at a tuckable IWB for my PM9 to use at work. Although I'm not in the shape I used to be (6'2", 205, 36" waist), I wouldn't consider myself of the "large" persuasion. Even so, I can't imagine sitting all day at the desk with an IWB at 2:00. It would seem that the gun would did in my stomach all day! Am I missing something here? Is 3:30 or 4:00 the only viable position for IWB (unless you are standing the entire time)?

Distinguished Member Array Wasabi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by alnitak View Post
    I'm looking at a tuckable IWB for my PM9 to use at work. Although I'm not in the shape I used to be (6'2", 205, 36" waist), I wouldn't consider myself of the "large" persuasion. Even so, I can't imagine sitting all day at the desk with an IWB at 2:00. It would seem that the gun would did in my stomach all day! Am I missing something here? Is 3:30 or 4:00 the only viable position for IWB (unless you are standing the entire time)?
    Give the High Noon Split Decision a try. I have one for my PM9 and like it. It's only about $45 shipped and they'll have it to you in a few days. If you want to spend a little more and can wait, you may want to look into a K&D Dakota Defender. I just ordered one for my Ultra CDP II. K&D makes excellent holsters and offer great service. I didn't want a kydex shell (MTAC) so the Dakota Defender seems perfect.

Oh, try about 4-4:30 for comfort. Works for this chubby guy.

As others have stated, the size of your pants should help. Off-duty I primarily carry IWB. As of lately it has been the MTAC with my G27. Most comfortable IWB holster that I have worn to date. I have used Fist, Maxcon, Galco, Desantis, CTAC and a host of others. Most of which were fairly comfy if not very comfy. But MTAC is ahead so far.

I have a 32 inch waist and I purchase my pants in 33 to allow for the handgun. I wear it at 3:30 -4. On the opposite side is the spare mag to help balance me out, but more importantly in case of the need to reload.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

Quote Originally Posted by David in FL View Post
    Everyone's different.

I carry my K9 in a crossbreed supertuck at about 4 o'clock. I won't say that "I don't know that it's there", but it's comfortable all day, even when seated or driving. The key for me was in adjusting the cant a bit more forward and, as others have said, a good belt.

+1 on the Supertuck. I carry my SP101 in a Supertuck at about 4 o'clock with a belt from The Beltman. After a few minutes you almost forget it's there.
    The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. ~ Albert Einstein

Sig P229 DAK - .40 S&W
    Ruger SP101 - .357 Mag

"I have found that the very best way to eliminate all discomfort of carrying IWB is to carry OWB.
    While it's not possible for everybody to do that all the time...you should invest in a high quality OWB rig for those times when you are able to wear a light jacket, vest, sweater, or an untucked casual shirt."
    Yup. I have a few "larger size" pants but I like my levis "regular fit" and I wear them on my hips. Give me a good "High Rise" OWB holster any day of the week. I'm buying a Null holster shortly for my G26 with my stimulus money when it comes in.

I thank the great Spirit every day that I live in the great Northwest wherein I can wear a jacket, vest, outer shirt 3/4 of the year.
    It all comes down to going down the dark holes after monsters. Thatís what itís all about; when everyone else is huddled around the campfire, somebody has to go out and fight.

I'm waiting for the day somebody makes pants or cargo shorts with builtin holsters,
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    I'm waiting for the day somebody makes pants or cargo shorts with builtin holsters,
    I kinda doubt that would happen. There are just too many variables in where an individual wants to position his gun. Also, you would still have to have a good gun belt in order to support the wieght of the gun so it doesnt pull your pants off.

I carry my XD 45acp Service pistol in a CTAC Minotaur IWB holster 10 to 14 hours a day with very little discomfort issues. The main cause of discomfort is the Florida heat and humidity. I have to wear a tucked polo style shirt (black in color to boot). To comfortably hide this large gun I have to first wear pants with a larger waist size, I tuck in a plain white t-shirt into my undershorts (to keep the pistol butt off my skin) and then I tuck my company shirt in between the pants waist and between the holster.

All of this clothing makes it harder for my body to get rid of the heat so I am slightly more uncomfortable than if I could wear untucked.

Still, even with a large pistol, I use a good Beltman belt and the awesome MTac holster and all day carry isnt bad at all and my pants stay put!
    ďI am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.Ē
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    There was a company about 3 years ago that listed cargo pants with hidden holsters. Could be set up left or right, the outer flap partially peeled away (Velcro) for the draw. The side you carried on had a strap that went inside the pants and secured around the leg (to prevent flopping, etc).

Didn't look too bad from the web site. They were pricey, and I never heard of anyone buying them. Can't find a link, but I sort of suspect they didn't make it and the link would be dead... if I can find it and it's still active, I'll post it in a later post in this thread.
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

Try appendix carry. I carry my Kahr CW9 in a Galco clip on very comfortably in that position.

Like Fjolnirsson stated; I too wear suspenders at times. Try the Perry brand. They hook on the belt, and not the pants. I wear them underneath my outside shirt, which I leave outside and untucked. For the time being, I'm feeling comfortable, and knowing the gun is completely concealed.

T-Bone; Magills has those pants, but as you said, the price is pretty stiff. I think I would find it difficult to access my weapon from those pockets/holsters, as advertised. To each his own.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links