IWB comfort issues.

This is a discussion on IWB comfort issues. within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm trying to get to where I can carry my Kahr K9 IWB comfortably. I have both Bianchi and Galco IWB holsters (clip style) and ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: IWB comfort issues.

IWB comfort issues.

I'm trying to get to where I can carry my Kahr K9 IWB comfortably. I have both Bianchi and Galco IWB holsters (clip style) and I just got an MTAC today. I am having trouble finding a comfortable position that doesn't begin to cramp after 2 hours. Most of my day is spent standing with some driving. The MTAC at 4 o'clock is good for driving and starts out fairly comfortable, but after a while begins to really hurt. The other 2 just hurt from the get go. Are there tricks and techniques for carrying IWB all day in reasonable comfort or do I just need to STFU and deal with the pain? I do have a proper 1.5" Beltman belt to properly support the holster and I'm wearing a t-shirt to insulate the holster from my skin. I like the MTAC with an overshirt tucked in....very nice.

2. Remove Ads

I just received a beautiful IWB "Double Clip" from Side Guard Holsters (I'll be doing a review on it later this week when I have time to get some pictures). It's my first IWB rig and I, too, am going through a little trial and error getting used to it.
    As a test (and to break it in a bit), I wore it while mowing my (1.3 acre) lawn (with push mower) and doing other various yardwork today - a pretty through test of comfort for a holster in my book.

I find around 3:30-4:00 to be the most comfortable, but not the most concealable position. A t-shirt alone does not really make it "disappear" at this position, but it was comfortable to wear for several hours of physical labor.
    I also found it is more comfortable if I let my pants ride a little bit lower than I usually do. Try adjusting the height of your belt, and the tightness of your belt also. A good, thick leather belt makes a big difference, too.
    Basically, explore all the variables you can. Holster, position, belt, belt tightness, height of pants, etc...

I think it comes down to trial and error. Finding a holster design is one step, and finding the right spot to wear it is the next. The last step is to practice like mad with whatever you end up with I think you have a good selection, just find a spot that works. As I said above, try adjusting other things like how high you wear your pants and how tight you keep your belt.

Peace,
    Pete Zaria.
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
    - Margaret Mead

"Booger Hook Off the Bang Switch" - unknown

A quick note on comfort. While all of us are dedicated in our own ways and means to pursue our rights and to secure our future by carrying concealed----we have all the rights to expect and find the ways and means to do so in complete comfort. Living in the real world, some of us know that might be too much to expect. Most of us have adapted to alot of things in our lives, and most have experienced pain and discomfort. For some, annoyances can easily be overcome--by others, annoyances are outright discomfort and pain and sometimes unbearable. Some can completely ignore pain and discomfort until such time as it's no longer an issue and have become adapted. Others believe that adjusting their immediate environment will suppress or even alleviate the pain or discomfort, and some employ a combination of both. In all, if the perfect equipment cannot be found then adaption or abandonment is in order. My suggestion? Once that holster starts to really hurt, tough it out an extra hour or so. Then adjust the positioning to alleviate the immediate discomfort. Tough it out some more---I've actually rendered parts of my body numb enduring the pain. Each subsequent time this happens, the pain is less and less until one day it's not there. It all depends on one's determination. There are alot of options out there, and likely you'll find the perfect one sooner or later. I'll be wishing you good luck until such time the odds tip in your favor.

The best solution I found was to wear suspenders to keep my pants up, and then I don't have to keep my belt as tight. My gun actually conceals better, now that i don't have it cinched in as tight, and my belt keeps the holster in, should I have to draw.

Oh, I wear the suspenders between my undershirt and outer shirt.
    "Water can flow, or it can crash. Be like water, my friend."-Bruce Lee

My Blog

"Luck, often enough, will save a man if his courage does hold."

I wear my MTAC(and G23) anywhere from the 3:30 to 4:30 position with little discomfort. There are no 'tricks' so much as just finding a 'comfort zone' and staying with it. I think it may be just an adjustment period......getting used to a new holster and first time carrying IWB. I'd give it a little time, 'play' with the positions some and see if 'grows on ya' a little more.
    I only carried OWB up until 2 years ago. I first purchased a Galco Summer Comfort IWB and hated it.......most uncomfortable holster I ever wore. I then got a CTAC and fell in love with it. Right after I got the CTAC they (Com-Tac) came out with the MTAC and that was even better! You may just need to 'find' that 'perfect' IWB holster. Give it some time first though.
    Last edited by goldshellback; May 16th, 2008 at 06:23 AM. Reason: Ooops
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

As one of the above posts mentions, everyone is different...it took some experimentation, but IWB at about 3:30 - 4:00 has become very comfortable...I hardly know it's there. Walking, driving, or sitting on the couch is never a problem. In fact, I have at times even found myself taking a nap on the couch without removing the gun...no problem.
    It may take you a little time...but you'll get there.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I know when I started carrying IWB it SUCKED!! I thought I wasted 40 bucks on this holster!! but I gave it some time. Maybe my nerve endings adapted (or died) but either way IWB is the only way I carry now.....and as was stated before "I hardly notice it anymore"
    It sounds like you have quality holsters & You are using a dedicated gun-belt. But again...give it some time. You didn't say how long you have been werking on carrying yer Kahr. Days...weeks...
    R1

This is mine. That is yours.

Lets keep it that way.

Everyone's different.

I carry my K9 in a crossbreed supertuck at about 4 o'clock. I won't say that "I don't know that it's there", but it's comfortable all day, even when seated or driving. The key for me was in adjusting the cant a bit more forward and, as others have said, a good belt.

The Kahr K9 is about the same size as my Sig P239, a bit thinner in fact. I've had great success using Crossbreed's SuperTuck along with a Crossbreed gun belt. The large leather backing smooths over the hard edges and the widely spaced clips distribute the weight over a large section of my belt.

What part of carrying IWB causes the most discomfort?
    Is it the size? Does it poke you in a particular spot? - Adjust the cant, position on your belt & ride height (mine's at a slight forward cant, 3:45 - 4:30 on the belt, low to the point where the belt completely covers the trigger guard)
    Is it the weight? Does it drag down your belt pinching or putting pressure on your waist or hips? - Use a sturdy belt, a dedicated gun belt does wonders for distributing weight without having to overtighten it
    Is it the clothes? - For comfortable IWB carry I've found that I need more room in my pants than before, a size up helped tremendously, then I found that by losing about 10-15 lbs it helped give me that little extra space so I could again use my older pants, that's motivation to eat right and exercise
    Mine: Glock 36............Wife's: Ruger SP101 3"
    -------Ruger SR9....................Ruger SR9c
    -------S&W SW99 .45.............Charter Arms Undercover

Hidden Defense - Personal gun & holster designs/reviews.

Can you adjust the cant AND height of any of your IWB holsters? It took a little bit to find the 'sweet spot' for my Crossbreed Supertuck. Even without a real gun belt, my SR9 is VERY comfortable no matter what I'm doing. I just had to make one final tweak recently to adjust the height...not for comfort, but to allow better grip acquisition for my presentation.

-JT

iwb holster

received my c-tac (infedal) about a month ago.
    very comfortable for my g-27. being a lefty i
    wear it about 8-9 oclock. best holster i"ve
    purchused yet. imo.
    (SHERIFF BUFORD T. JUSTICE) "what the hell is
    the world coming too"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

U.S. ARMY FT.SILL, OKLA.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    A quick note on comfort. While all of us are dedicated in our own ways and means to pursue our rights and to secure our future by carrying concealed----we have all the rights to expect and find the ways and means to do so in complete comfort. Living in the real world, some of us know that might be too much to expect. Most of us have adapted to alot of things in our lives, and most have experienced pain and discomfort. For some, annoyances can easily be overcome--by others, annoyances are outright discomfort and pain and sometimes unbearable. Some can completely ignore pain and discomfort until such time as it's no longer an issue and have become adapted. Others believe that adjusting their immediate environment will suppress or even alleviate the pain or discomfort, and some employ a combination of both. In all, if the perfect equipment cannot be found then adaption or abandonment is in order. My suggestion? Once that holster starts to really hurt, tough it out an extra hour or so. Then adjust the positioning to alleviate the immediate discomfort. Tough it out some more---I've actually rendered parts of my body numb enduring the pain. Each subsequent time this happens, the pain is less and less until one day it's not there. It all depends on one's determination. There are alot of options out there, and likely you'll find the perfect one sooner or later. I'll be wishing you good luck until such time the odds tip in your favor.

Yeah..Ramrod you're right about that..;a lot of things do need to be endured. I had a majot problem with my IWB's, and decided to try a OWB..it's still a bit annoying but tollerable. You get used to the discomfort and then one day, it's just not there anymore. Now after wearing a Kydex (HARD PLASTIC) Blackhawk Serpa for a month or so, any of those nice..supple leather ones feel like a dream..now if I can just get them in now..I have several on backorder..LOL. Hang in there Rob..and if you find one that is somewhat comfortable and you like, just bare and grin it til you find a comfy spot for driving, and or carrying.

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    Everyone has their issues with comfort. If you do a search, you will find a gabillion threads on it.

For me, I use an MTAC with a Glock 27. The position I find most comfortable is about 4:30-5:00. You have to experiment with different things. But what I did find is that as I walked around a bit, the holster shifted to find the sweet spot on me.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    You can try adjusting the clips on that MTAC, too. I set mine for a more forward cant and a slightly deeper ride and I found that made it a lot easier to carry at 3:30--4:00. Before that, right at 3:00 was about the only way it carried well.
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

Ex Member Array TacticalCompact's Avatar
    I have a Kahr P40 in an MTAC. It took the holster a couple weeks to REALLY break-in, and it makes a HUGE difference in comfort. I hardly notice it now.

I've found that while driving, it is most comfortable somewhere between 3:00 and 3:30, I think. It allows me to seat my back against the seatback without the butt of the handgun getting in the way. This way is 100% comfy while driving and still conceals well for me. I've got it canted about as far forward as it will go, hanging from a good Comp-Tac 1.5" belt using velcro. So far, so great.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links