Cowboy boots and ankle holster?

This is a discussion on Cowboy boots and ankle holster? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; It's getting to warm for a suit coat at work now, and I am struggling to find a way to carry at work. I was ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cowboy boots and ankle holster?

Cowboy boots and ankle holster?

It's getting to warm for a suit coat at work now, and I am struggling to find a way to carry at work. I was sitting in a chair at the Monday manager meeting, and noticed that no matter how high my slacks rode up, they didn't clear the shaft of my boots. I always wear cowboy boots at work, with normal dress slacks, no cuff regular leg profile.

Anyone here tried it? Can you get a holster for a J frame in your boots, and high enough on your calf?

Thanks, Tom

2. Remove Ads

It should be possible to do. I know a guy that sticks a keltec in his boot using a clip draw, I think thats what it is called. Not sure how a j frame would work though. I have thought about that myself for when I wear cowboy boots. I guess it depends how stiff the boot shafts are as well.
    Glock 26 4gen, H&K USPc, S&W 642, Wilson Combat 1911 CQB

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    I carried a Kahr PM9 in a DeSantis Nemesis stuck in the inside top of my left cowboy boot for a couple of years.

Great setup. It works. I was never "made", and could always reach the piece.
    "...bad decisions that turn out well often make heroes."

Gary D. Mitchell, A Sniper's Journey: The Truth About the Man and the Rifle, P. 103, NAL Caliber books, 2006, 1st Ed.

I most always wear boots and slacks at work too. I have not tried a hoster in a boot, but a clip I think would work well. However, I do have a NAA 22mag with a small hoster that I could carry that way, but I havn't had to resort to that weapon as yet. Keep us posted.
    "Eternity is Too Long to be Wrong"

Texas CHL Instructor & Holder & Utah CFP Instructor
    NRA Instructor & Life Member
    Member TSRA, USCCA, TCHA
    Christian, Heterosexual, Pro-2A, Pro-Life, Conservative, Common Sense American

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    I knew a guy that had a piece of leather sewn into his boots to hold a .38,it always worked for him.

Quote Originally Posted by randytulsa2 View Post
    I carried a Kahr PM9 in a DeSantis Nemesis stuck in the inside top of my left cowboy boot for a couple of years.

Great setup. It works. I was never "made", and could always reach the piece.
    Tell me more, I work for great folks, just don't want to put them on the spot. How did you carry?

I carry an SP101 in a Galco Ankle Band. You have to fiddle with it some, but it will work with cowboy boots (it's an elastic band with velcro).
    Steve

I always thought it would be a cool idea to have a holster maker sew one onto the boot in matching leather. This way it's in the same position as an ankle holster
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

I've been considering having a holster sewn into my riding boots as well, but have concerns that the weight of the sidearm would eventually collapse the boot uppers???? I guess it could be reinforced with some type of support piece.....

I don't want anything attached to the uppers, I rotate through 3 or 4 pairs of boots. I am just wondering if anyone had any luck with a ankle rig and boots with a J frame sized gun.

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    It just rode between the top of the boot and that ankle bone that sticks out on the inside of the ankle. It was really very, very simple.

If your pants never come over the top of your boot, and you have a boot that is sufficiently loose between that ankle bone (bottom bump of the fibula?) and the top of the boot, you're pretty much set unless you have the unlikely habit of placing your feet higher than your head (or your lower leg, as the case may be).

It worked really well. I got away from it because I wanted to carry a bigger gun and wanted faster access.

But it works.
    "...bad decisions that turn out well often make heroes."

Gary D. Mitchell, A Sniper's Journey: The Truth About the Man and the Rifle, P. 103, NAL Caliber books, 2006, 1st Ed.

I had never thought of using an IWB and just clipping it to the side of a boot... But thinking about it... that should work great.

I'm glad I poked my nose into this thread...
    Heisenberg may have slept here

+1 for a clip-on IWB in the boot. I have carried a J-frame that way (sometimes).

YMMV
    I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth.--Steve McQueen

Senior Member Array bluelineman's Avatar
    My uncle carries his J Frame in his cowboy boot all the time. His holster is so old that we're not sure of the maker. It's so torn up that he uses duct tape to hold it together. He refuses to part with it & has talked about taking to an alterations place to get it fixed for a few years now.

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    I tried it before with a back up when I use to wear cowboy boots on duty. With rockie type boots a typical ankle rig works pretty well but not with taller boots. However this slows down and even slower draw. Not a big fan of it because it just takes so dang long to draw from.

Many years ago, Safariland made a theigh righ out of diving suit material (neoprene) that was perfect for cowboy boot carry and if any of you know where I can find one, please let me know, as I've searched for years after giving mine away to a DEA guy 20 years ago.
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links