Screaming Gun

Screaming Gun

This is a discussion on Screaming Gun within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well it's been a while since I've been able to visit these pages, with high work load and so many things going on at home ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Screaming Gun

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar

Screaming Gun

Well it's been a while since I've been able to visit these pages, with high work load and so many things going on at home (like becoming a new grandpa for the first time), but an incident happened yesterday that cements the warnings many say about using a fanny pack as a way to carry a weapon.

A couple weeks ago, I was injured (again) at work, and as such my right (primary/dominant) hand is now casted from the armpit to palm. Pretty much rendering my right hand useless for weapon handling.

Still needing to carry (duh) and not having ordered a left hand holster for my new duty weapon (yet - and that was a stupid mistake), I threw my gear into my "gym" carry bag, a well designed fanny pack that doesn't even look like the typical gun bag and setting it up for left hand draw. Having practiced with my "weak" hand extensively and even qualifying with it as the primary in the past, I was confident in my ability just didn't have a good means to carry it.

My truck needed its oil changed, and so off to the local quick oil change shop because changing my own with one hand didn't sound like, either a smart or fun thing to do.

Much to my surprise, this shop is one that is a re-hab facility for recently released con's to put them back into society. No sooner did I get out of my truck, when three of them asked, "What type of gun you carrying?". Now I don't wear cop shirts, no cop markings on my truck and the only thing that stood out from their dress (including the same jeans, boots and tattoo showing past t-shirt dress) was the fanny pack.

I asked them each why they thought I was carrying a gun, and each said ..... man carrying a fanny pack in Texas? It has to be a gun. I went into my alter ego that I use frequently during work hours and we fast talked while they worked about the "training" they received in prison, and due to the high volume of concealed carry permits in Texas, a subject they discussed frequently was how to spot weapons on people to avoid them as the risk is to high. (NOTE: The all three said the second most identifiable sign is a photographer vest...something even professional photographers in Texas don't wear).

So the next time you sling that fanny pack around your waist and head out believing no one realizes your packing, know this. Three groups of people will know. Cops, Folks who carry concealed a lot and the hard core convicts.

Ya they might decide to pass on, but then again, they might decide thats an easy way to pick up a weapon. So ask yourself;
    1. Do you have another way to carry?
    2. Are you training with what you carry? (I'm not talking just punching holes in paper, but doing something like IDPA).
    3. Do you have enough gun (and extra magazines) to stop what you are faced with.

Just FYI, remember the mall shooting in Salt Lake City, UT last year? The hero off-duty responding officer has a 1911 with ONLY 6 rounds loaded and NO STINKING spare magazine. Talk about a bad time to realize his easy way didn't work. He was empty and at slide lock when the first on duty guys arrived.

Back to my cage.
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

Good sound advice as usual, congratulations on the Grandad deal my
    first was 3 years ago and now I have two w/ one on the way
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

Welcome back! I kinda remember your posts from back when I first joined DC. Thanks for the great advice, funny thing was I was just discusing with a buddy yesterday how fanny pack can scream gun to some people and here you are supporting my story! Hope you get back strong hand back soon! :)

PS. Congrats on being a grandpa!

Very good "heads-up" info to post.....GRANDPA!
    Congrats!
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Some good information... Thanks.
    Ahhh, what an awful dream. Ones and zeros everywhere... and I thought I saw a two.

Yep, I'm sure fanny packs do send the "gun" message to many. About a year ago, my gf and I visited St. Louis and decided to take the rail to the Arch. I couldn't decide if I should pack or not, but eventually decided to not, as I wasn't sure what SL allowed on the public rail and it was a totally new experience for me. The fact of the Arch being a National Park completely escaped me.

As we walked up to the Arch plaza area, a Park Security lady walked up and asked to see inside my fanny pack. We were still probably 100' away from the Arch entrance. All I had was my camera and other odds and ends, so no problem. However, if I had taken my 1911, I'm sure there would have been a problem. I am satisfied she had scoped me out from a distance of maybe 150', as it was obvious she had gone out of her way to make contact with me.

I'm sure I looked like a dead-ringer for a weapon, since with my Wranglers, boots AND fanny pack I didn't exactly look in my element.

Funny thing was, in my hip pocket, I had a rather serious looking, spring assist, folder knife. Of course, I had to put it, watch, keys, etc. in the x-ray tub and walk through the metal detector. The guys checking out that stuff picked up the knife, looked it over, looked at each other, and handed it back to me like, "Oh well". I guess to them, I looked like the country bumpkin that would just as soon go without pants as go without my knife.

VIP Member
    Congrads get better and thanks.

That is one reason I quit wearing the one I have. My wife uses it now when she goes walking around the neighborhood.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

Hmm, now maybe I can wear my "throwdown" diversionary fanny pack to disguise the real hiding place and display something that they recognize so they will search out easier pickings.

Hey Fed, good to see ya back round here. Well, at least you don't look old enough where it is acceptable to carry a fanny pack without it screaming gun.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    Nice to see you around again. I hope the busted wing is not too much of a hindrance for enjoying the new grandkid. Congratulations and heal fast.

Also, good advice, as always. Kind of weird that they let you know that they knew you were carrying...
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

I have never carried a fanny pack,even when it was considered cool,I am a lefty due to permanent injury that crippled up my right hand,and i carry iwb 16/7 the other 8 it's on the night stand
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Good stuff, fed'.

I've said this a million times... dress to your regional norm. Lotsa vests around here, but no fannypacks, messenger bags, or man-purses. I don't do the vest thing, but around here, I could.
    "Happiness, is a warm gun" -St. John of Liverpool

Proud to be an infidel.

Great post! Too bad I bought a good fanny pack just for summer CCW last year.

On the grandpa thing, congrats! If you think your own kids were a miracle, just wait till your grand kids get to about a year old. They're awesome.
    An armed populace are called citizens.
    An unarmed populace are called subjects.

Administrator
    Hey fed...don't stay away so long or I'm going call for a "hit" on your other arm.

Then you won't even be able to scratch yer

You were sorely missed around here. By me anyway.

Seriously.......Good to have you back with us.

We'll take you even if you're broken and battered.

Good sound advice on the fanny pack.

Personally I never owned one or a photographers vest for that matter.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links