Anyone use this man-purse...er...I mean bag?

This is a discussion on Anyone use this man-purse...er...I mean bag? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm thinking about picking up a Maxpedition Fatboy Versipack to use in certain circumstances. Was thinking I would use it as a small diaper bag ...

Thread: Anyone use this man-purse...er...I mean bag?

Question Anyone use this man-purse...er...I mean bag?

I'm thinking about picking up a Maxpedition Fatboy Versipack to use in certain circumstances. Was thinking I would use it as a small diaper bag as well (I stay at home with the kids). I'm not a big fan of off person carry, but thought it might give me another option in situations where I want to carry but might have a harder time with my usual IWB. I'm a function-before-form kind of guy so I don't really care about the man-purse jokes or getting "funny looks"...I just want something smaller and more comfortable than the abomination of a diaper bag that I carry now and like the added benefit that I could pack a gun in there if I need to. Anyone have experience with this one? PS Was also thinking it might be a good motorcycle carry option? Thanks in advance!

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Well maybe with a diaper bag it wouldn't scream "gun". I understand under some circumstances IWB or OWB just doesn't work. I had to buy a small gear pouch that attaches to my work belt. I put my 642 in it because I cant carry any other way at work.
    Carying a diaper bag in one bag and a baby in the other, sometimes ya just gotta get creative. I'd only use it when ya have to.

When vacationing, hiking and other times I use a Versipack with the velcro holster inside. In case folks haven't noticed, tourists carry all kinds of crap in a variety of "pack" designs. No, it doesn't scream gun...good grief, get over that. And if you're self-esteem makes you feel like you're carrying a purse, see a shrink....
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

Yeah I have one and use it quite a bit. I do take the occasional jab with the "man bag" thing, but it serves it purpose well enough to take the abuse. Just remind your pals it is not a man-purse, but your Tacti-cool man bag O' death. . FWIW I recommend getting the Jumbo size as even it is not very big. It's main pouch will hold a couple of diapers, some wipes, a couple snack bars or baby food jars and maybe a bit more. I'll stuff a couple extra magazines in the front with a surefire and toss a small first aid kit in the side pouch. Add a water bottle in the Nalgene pouch and your pretty set for a day of running around with the kiddies.

If I see one of these bags I know the person has a gun which makes me extremely happy. I have a Maxpedition tacti-cool backpack even though I ain't gonna see the desert, but is a great diaper bag with two diaper wearers in tow.

What about other folks that will know also?

So unless you are venturing out to places where it is 100% legal to carry and are ready for the occasion confrontation I would advise caution.

Since I am non-confrontational I prefer to go around as gray man. If off body is my only solution for the need to carry I go with a non-descript travel bag from Victorinox. I think it's called a three way bag.
    Go Glock - until you can afford H&K

That is exactly how I use mine. I have a couple of linked linking rings hanging off the strap from one of the loops and it seems to draw attention away from the "tacticool" look of the bag.

I too am not a big fan of off body carry but with a 5mo and a 3yr old I needed the hands free convenience in a diaper bag and the added bonus of somewhere to put my gun that didn't get in the way of all the bending etc. that parents do wtih small children.

I love it, and I have not had a single person even mention that they thought it was a concealed carry bag...
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."

"SA is a cognitive state or process associated with the assessment of multiple environmental cues in a dynamic situation" ~ Isaac

I just got back from a training program where a couple guys had those. They absolutely scream Gun to me. Just my $.02.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Sponsor
    I generally don't post suggestions about our products but as this is directly related, I will on this occasion.

For a high quality man-purse that does not say GUN in any way, you might look at our CCSB.

Click Here-Concealed Carry Shoulder Bag

As to off body carry, IMO it is far better to carry off body than not at all. There are times when it is a better choice.
    Those choosing to excercise off-body carry simply must accept the greater responsibility that goes along with this mode of carry.

Thanks
    Mark Craighead
    Owner/Founder
    CrossBreed Holsters LLC
    http://www.crossbreedholsters.com

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Speaking only for myself i have a " Man Purse " that is actually a back pack for a laptop . I also have another bag that i use for business and never the two meet . Neither pistols , mags , ammo , targets , ect meet my over the shoulder business bag . Nor does my business papers ect meet my " gun bag " . In fact the only item that transfers is my personal laptop . Yes tho i own both , i wont use my business lappy for personal and i also dont use my personal lappy for business , not even checking business mail tho photos can be found on both . My manpurse for business is a small backpack that will hold all my business crap . My manpurse for personal is a duffle bag that rivals a seabag in size and weight.
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

It sounds like you have all the perfect reasons for such a contraption. As I've said in the past, screaming gun, depends on where you live. In many places, messenger-type bags are very popular. In other places, well dressed men might ask for your phone number, or construction workers might whistle at you.
    "Happiness, is a warm gun" -St. John of Liverpool

Proud to be an infidel.

Quote Originally Posted by Ping Ping View Post
    It sounds like you have all the perfect reasons for such a contraption. As I've said in the past, screaming gun, depends on where you live.
    Well that's one good thing, I live in NY...most people here think guns are illegal to carry...further, I'm a young guy and I'm near the college a lot so I'm not worried at all about it shouting "gun"...it is far more likely to shout "college kid" Thanks for al of the replies everyone! I REALLY like that leather bag from crossbreed but I can't quite afford it at this point...maybe someday though!

Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar
    I don't have one yet, but have been thinking about it. As to it sceaming "gun", it will to some, not to others. It won't scare the Sheeple.

It may or may not be spotted by LEO's, BG's and other weapons carriers. Not really concerned about that so much. I think they've got their place, just as does off body carry in general. If you're using it as a diaper bag, I think that will provide additional camouflage as to it's other utilitarian uses.
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

Come on guys, get over the screaming gun mess. Now if I decide to open carry today, now that screams gun. Except for people like us whom visit gun boards and CCW, most if not all the sheeple have no clue that a Maxpedition is used for carrying guns and gear.

I have a Maxpedition and use it mostly for working around my place, hate to have a muzzle poking me in the side while working in the garden. It's always within reach and holds a lot of gear. It is a great and well made pack. I've also used it running down to the store and don't even get a second look. For that matters, I really don't get a second look when I open carry.

Sometimes I think some folks are far to concearned about screaming gun, am I printing, I think I was made today, and other carry thoughts. Relax, most are oblivious to you carrying a firearm.

BTW, this post is not to start an open carry discussion!
    Welcome to Tennessee, the patron state of shootin' stuff.--SHOOTER

Links