How long should a good belt last?

This is a discussion on How long should a good belt last? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been using a belt that I bought from Gun Leather Inc for about 10 years. Its pretty worn after 10 years and I'm shopping ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How long should a good belt last?

I've been using a belt that I bought from Gun Leather Inc for about 10 years. Its pretty worn after 10 years and I'm shopping around for something new.

Product Listing -

The Gun Leather Inc Belt only cost me about $35 10 years ago. I'm hoping to find something nice for a reasonable price but I'm curious how long these $70-100 belts are supposed to last?

The Liger and the Comp Tac belts look pretty good so far.

I couldn't be happier with my two belts from DM Bullard... I've said this many times, but they are great. Just the right thickness, fine craftsmanship, competitive price, hefty roller buckle. Plus, he has a few standard sizes in stock. I've got a black shark and oil brown and both took around 3 weeks since I like the 7 hole configuration.

I can't comment on how long they'll last since they're relatively new, but they're made from Hermann Oak Leather which from my understanding is some of the finest in the US.

Gun Leather, Concealment and Cowboy holsters, Azle, TX.
    ---------------------------------------
    www.GeorgiaCarry.org Member
    ---------------------------------------

Kramer makes an indestructible horsehide belt. It will last you your lifetime. It carries anything you strap on wonderfully.
    Kramer Handgun Leather: Revolver holsters, concealment holsters, paddle holster, 1911 holster, ankle holster
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Well I just received several Looper Leather belts ($30 ea.), and these things are really stiff...rather than having to 'tighten' for a secure holster...I can wear my 'Looper' a little looser and the holster stay secure.
    I have had the Looper leather belts for over two weeks now...I feel it was a great purchase...and only $30...pretty fair price (actually, cheap price) for a good leather belt.

Cheap leather Western style belt? 2 years...
    Instructor's belts (2)...? Over 5 years, and still counting...
    Loper Leather belts? Hopefully, at least 10 years...that would be priceless...

Stay armed...use a good belt...stay safe!
    Last edited by RETSUPT99; May 24th, 2008 at 06:35 AM.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I wore a Milt Sparks belt for a little over 7 years. It's still usable but I've put on about 30lbs since I ordered it so it's too small for IWB carry now. I'm currently wearing belts from Jim Speidel of The Beltman and a Wilderness Instructor's 5 stitch belt. I'd recommend any of those three for quality and value for the money, depending on your individual needs.
    Jack

I've thrown out all of my belts, except my Beltman belts, after my second Beltman belt arrived. It's hard to remember exactly when I purchased my first Beltman belt... must be at least 4 years ago. The first has loosened up, but can still hold onto a holster very well. The second, which is at least 2 years old, is almost like new.

I've not seen another belt that I'd even consider carrying a holster on yet... maybe someday, but I'm very, very happy with my two Beltman belts and will be looking to add another sometime in the near future.
    Be Observant and Be Safe.

Current: S&W 442, Springfield XD9sc, XDm9, and Glock G26, G19, G23C,
    and SIG P226-40 TT, and Ruger GP-100, and Beretta 92FS
    Former: Taurus 92SS, SIG P220 TT, S&W 360, SIG P239-40, Ruger 22/45 MKII

I bought my belt from an Amish leather shop...This belt I could tow a car with..LOL. It has a roller buckle that is very sturdy. It is a very nice belt.I paid $30.00 for a very large size. I would have paid twice...The sizes for 30-44 where $23.50-$27.00. The man that I bought it from said he has had his for about 20 years. Day in and day out, cleaned and treated every 2-3 times a year. His belt was well used but not even close to being bad.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Well I just received several Looper Leather belts ($30 ea.), and these things are really stiff...rather than having to 'tighten' for a secure holster...I can wear my 'Looper' a little looser and the holster stay secure.
    I have had the Looper leather belts for over two weeks now...I feel it was a great purchase...and only $30...pretty fair price (actually, cheap price) for a good leather belt.

Stay armed...use a good belt...stay safe!
    i finally got my looper belt today,took 3 weeks to get to me. i must say i am impressed w/its thickness and quality for 30 plus 6 dollars shipping. i will try it out tomorrow.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.
    ― Thomas Paine

Quote Originally Posted by nomad4me View Post
    I bought my belt from an Amish leather shop...This belt I could tow a car with..LOL. It has a roller buckle that is very sturdy. It is a very nice belt.I paid $30.00 for a very large size. I would have paid twice...The sizes for 30-44 where $23.50-$27.00. The man that I bought it from said he has had his for about 20 years. Day in and day out, cleaned and treated every 2-3 times a year. His belt was well used but not even close to being bad.
    i wish the Amish would sell belts online.they really know how to make high quality stuff.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.
    ― Thomas Paine

My belts last til I can no loger punch another hole in it and gotta buy the next size up
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

For ME, the Rafter S is the best belt I own-if you can stand the wait

The BeltMan makes great belts in a timely fashion. The Liger synthetic was a waste of cash

YMMV
    Why is it that you always find things at the last place you looked?
    Because when you find something-you stop looking-Mooch

Quote Originally Posted by stormbringerr View Post
    i finally got my looper belt today,took 3 weeks to get to me. i must say i am impressed w/its thickness and quality for 30 plus 6 dollars shipping. i will try it out tomorrow.
    Those belts are certainly 'firm', eh? I like mine so far, but one cannot determine quality in two weeks...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by DirtDawg View Post
    The Liger synthetic was a waste of cash

YMMV
    That's surprising. All the reviews I found when I did a search were very positive.

Quote Originally Posted by DirtDawg View Post
    For ME, the Rafter S is the best belt I own-if you can stand the wait

The BeltMan makes great belts in a timely fashion. The Liger synthetic was a waste of cash

YMMV
    What didn't you like about the Liger belt. I have two (admittedly, haven't had them long), and so far I've been very pleased. Would like to know what the future holds.
    Earth is the insane asylum of the universe!

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Those belts are certainly 'firm', eh? I like mine so far, but one cannot determine quality in two weeks...
    Well I'm on year 3.5 with my Looper leather belt and it still performs great and looks like new. I'll be getting a couple more just so I can have a few different colors but I've worn my black kydex lined belt just about every day since I got it and it's still going very strong. for a bit over $30 shipped it was a bargain for sure. It was a bit hard getting used to a leather belt that had ZERO stretch in it due to the lining, but I'm well used to it now and love it. I rave about Looper, their products, and the good people there every chance I get!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links