A good question that some of you can't answer...

This is a discussion on A good question that some of you can't answer... within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; All righty boys and girls, men and women of all ages... I have a sort of unique situation and was looking for some guidance. Beleive ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A good question that some of you can't answer...

All righty boys and girls, men and women of all ages...

I have a sort of unique situation and was looking for some guidance.

Beleive it or not, my SO's hobby is horseback riding. And I do enjoy it also, but don't do it near as much.

Well, today I did. We just bought a new saddle and was seeing if it fit correctly so we can decide whether or not we need to take it back.

The more I rode (actually walking was nothing, it was loping that the issue emerged), the more it felt as if my M&Pc was going to fall out of my M-TAC. Mind you, it never did, and prior to me getting on, I took the round out of the chamber. I wasn't sure what to expect and since we were riding at home, better safe than sorry.

So I can either 1. Keep it to a walk at all times (not bloody likely, my horse wants to GO!!) or 2. Look at a different holster for when I ride.

Or option #3. This is the one my wife likes most.
    #3. Ride more often so I get used to how it feels carrying while horseback riding.

Anyone that rides have any suggestions for a novice CC rider? My primary weapons are a M&P40 and a M&P40c. I would really hate to loose a weapon while out riding. Not that I wouldn't stop and pick it up, but the chance that it would fire when it impacts the ground worries me.

Is your belt tight enough? I know for me, if my belt isn't tight enough my gun does not feel secure and I can see where it could like it was going to pop out in a situation like riding a horse.

If it felt like your gun was going to pop out of the holster, then you may want to consider tightening the retention screws a bit.

I don't think that holster has retention type screws,what you can do is if it has a dimple in the trigger guard area that is what retains the weapon you can heat it up with a hairdryer and once the kydes becomes flexible make the dimple a little deeper,one thing you want is to make it where it will retain the weapon when jumping up and down and still allow you to draw the weapon without the weapon binding,or buy a holster with a retention strap when riding
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

The more I rode (actually walking was nothing, it was loping that the issue emerged), the more it felt as if my M&Pc was going to fall out of my M-TAC. Mind you, it never did
    Soo did your carry piece ever actually move in the holster? Or stay put with no issues but your "feelings"? Alot of things take getting used to. We're human, we're adaptable--that's why we continue to exist. My advice to you would have already been stated. I'll second the notion of option #3!

Or option #3. This is the one my wife likes most.
    #3. Ride more often so I get used to how it feels carrying while horseback riding.
    Let the mind prevail.

Consider getting a holster with a thumb break. That would solve all the problems. I've got a DeSantis speed scabbard with a thumb break I got really cheap for my Steyr M40-A1 and at a full out sprint(or gallop on a horse) I'd have no concerns of my weapon falling out.
    "I play for keeps."

I kept an old Safariland paddle holster and an equally old Galco pancake holster, both with a thumb break in my truck for those times of excessive movement. They worked great when horseback riding. It's been awhile since I've been on a horse but they worked and kept 'things' concealed and very secure when needed.
    Last edited by goldshellback; May 25th, 2008 at 12:11 AM.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Quote Originally Posted by JHoff View Post
    Consider getting a holster with a thumb break. That would solve all the problems. I've got a DeSantis speed scabbard with a thumb break I got really cheap for my Steyr M40-A1 and at a full out sprint(or gallop on a horse) I'd have no concerns of my weapon falling out.
    +1. If not, I have a K&D Dakota Defender and I can flip it upside down and not lose my gun. It's a snug fit.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Soo did your carry piece ever actually move in the holster? Or stay put with no issues but your "feelings"? Alot of things take getting used to. We're human, we're adaptable--that's why we continue to exist. My advice to you would have already been stated. I'll second the notion of option #3!

Let the mind prevail.
    I can't say that it didn't move, but I can't honestly say that it did. Just my "feeling" and I learned a long time ago to listen to my feelings...

I'll be riding more to test it out, but it does concern me, nontheless. But I did more riding today than I have done in the last 6 months

dukalmighty - MTAC's do have retention screws.

but it does concern me, nonetheless
    It should, don't get me wrong. The experience itself is worth attempting to prove or disprove that initial feeling. If you have an optional carry piece, maybe a shoulder holster with that, and your preferred carry empty in the holster until you know one way or the other for sure. The shoulder rig (with retention) will comfort you every stride as you will definitely know it's there and secure. Riding horseback is new to you, as are the feelings of being devoid of your weapon with certain motions you are not accustomed to. If your empty gun is going to fall out of your holster, let it. That is to say, don't fidget with it during the entire ride----let things go as they may until you actually learn that your pistol is becoming dislodged during the ride or not. Then you can start to depend on your method, or dissolve it.

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    I don't think that holster has retention type screws
    yeah it does, although if you tighten them too much drawing becomes a bit difficult.

I'd simply get a Blackhawk Serpa CQC holster...it's retention will solve your problem and let you draw smoothly:

BLACKHAWK ! *BlackHawk CQC SERPA Holster - Active Retention - Matte Finish

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyC4 View Post
    I'd simply get a Blackhawk Serpa CQC holster...it's retention will solve your problem and let you draw smoothly:

BLACKHAWK ! *BlackHawk CQC SERPA Holster - Active Retention - Matte Finish
    Yep. That will do it. Even the thumb break could come undone but not the SERPA latch.

Same consideration should also be given to ATVing.
    An armed populace are called citizens.
    An unarmed populace are called subjects.

Being a "Ranch Kid" and riding since I was a 4 y/o I'd suggest a Crossdraw rig, like a "CarJacker" type, with a thumb-break, especially if you are right handed. The gun gets in the way of my rope carried for a left hand draw.

My other suggestion is a Shoulder Holster, prefferably Vertical, as I find that orientation of the gun is less bothersome when riding in the "brush".

Biker

or thigh rig

or full flap holster

or anything with a tie down (latigo) you know like cowboys used....

or just get a western rig made for you gun...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links