Business Attire

Business Attire

This is a discussion on Business Attire within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm a relatively thin guy (5'10" 160lbs) and work in an office setting. My dress attire dictates slacks and tucked in button down shirts (no ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Business Attire

Business Attire

I'm a relatively thin guy (5'10" 160lbs) and work in an office setting. My dress attire dictates slacks and tucked in button down shirts (no sport coats). To add to this complication, I frequently visit client sites (hospitals). In the past year we have had two employees at different client sites when a shooting happened (you would think a hospital would be safe). Because of this I have decided to get my CHL. The only thing I'm worried about is properly concealing a weapon so as not to upset or alarm anyone (co-workers or clients). Altering my attire would not be a good option as it would bring undue attention. And off body cary is definatly not an option due to me leaving my laptop bag in various places at times. I've seen some decent "deep concealment" IWB holsters, including the smart cary, what I would like to hear is what other people in my shoes have found to work.

Intersting..I'm 5'11" 170 and wear slacks and a dress shirt, no sports jacket, so I am in exactly your shoes, so to speak. I also work in Dallas, for an added coincidence.

In any case, at work I use a smart carry. I believe I could get away with a tuckable IWB, but I can draw faster from a smart carry than I can with having to untuck my shirt, and then draw. Also, the chance of the clip being seen is too high for the setting I am in.

You can't go wrong with a smart carry, but if you haven't purchased your gun yet, you could also go with a small keltec or some other pocket gun. A good pocket holster with a small single stack compact pistol should disappear in a pocket, even in slacks. My normal carry is an XD9 subcompact in a smart carry, and it's comfortable all day, I can access it fairly quickly, and nobody is the wiser.

With your type of setting, I would either go pocket carry, or smartcarry.

Also, be careful, about half of of the hospitals in the DFW area now have a legal 30.06 posted. The Gov is trying to change that, but I doubt that will happen for a long time.

And welcome to the forum!
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Yeah I would definitely recommend you check out the SmartCarry.
    Glock 26 Owner
    Ubuntu 8.04 User
    Firefox User

Can you pocket carry a small gun like an LCP or a Kel-Tec? Shouldn't really print, especially in a thin holster.

Also make sure that hospitals are legal for you to carry in...

If it were me, I'd pocket carry an Airweight J-Frame.

It's natural for a man to walk with his hand in his pocket, and nobody will be the wiser that you have your hand on your gun. Yes, the J-Frame is "lumpier" than a sleek Autoloader, but more reliable, IMHO. Also, the roundness of the Revolver will help to disguise what it is, where the squareness of the Autoloader will "print" what it is.

Make sure you practice, and use a good Pocket Holster, no matter if you go with a Revolver or a "bottomfeeder".

Biker

Here's the pocket holster I use with my Ruger LCP. Very comfortable, yet invisible in the rear pocket. I use a left-handed model as a backup to my IWB on the right side. Easily slips into my inside leather jacket pocket too.
    #21 Concealment Wallet Holster
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar
    Was also thinking pocket holster. You might be able to go "up" a bit. Try a Kahr PM-9 (9mm), or even a Kahr PM-45 (.45ACP).
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    Here's the pocket holster I use with my Ruger LCP. Very comfortable, yet invisible in the rear pocket. I use a left-handed model as a backup to my IWB on the right side. Easily slips into my inside leather jacket pocket too.
    #21 Concealment Wallet Holster
    +1 on the rear pocket carry. There are plenty of holsters like this out there...... They print like a wallet and no one will ever know. Also, they allow for much easier access than a smart carry IMHO.

Too bad you can't wear a sport coat or you'd be able to carry anything you want. I'd go with pocket carry first as you can walk to your car in a parking ramp with your hands in your pocket and seem natural; whereas if you walk with your hands down the front of your pants people are going to wonder why. Pocket carry requires a pocket gun so make sure you pick one that is small and thin - Kel Tec or the new Ruger maybe. I've also seen the Kahr PM9 pocket carried successfully by people dressing exactly the same as you describe.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerbouchard View Post
    Intersting..I'm 5'11" 170 and wear slacks and a dress shirt, no sports jacket, so I am in exactly your shoes, so to speak. I also work in Dallas, for an added coincidence.

In any case, at work I use a smart carry. I believe I could get away with a tuckable IWB, but I can draw faster from a smart carry than I can with having to untuck my shirt, and then draw. Also, the chance of the clip being seen is too high for the setting I am in.

You can't go wrong with a smart carry, but if you haven't purchased your gun yet, you could also go with a small keltec or some other pocket gun. A good pocket holster with a small single stack compact pistol should disappear in a pocket, even in slacks. My normal carry is an XD9 subcompact in a smart carry, and it's comfortable all day, I can access it fairly quickly, and nobody is the wiser.

With your type of setting, I would either go pocket carry, or smartcarry.

Also, be careful, about half of of the hospitals in the DFW area now have a legal 30.06 posted. The Gov is trying to change that, but I doubt that will happen for a long time.

And welcome to the forum!
    Well, lucky for me I don't visit any hospitals in DFW (except on the rare occasion). Although 90% of my client sites are in states that recognize the TX CHL. And I have already narrowed down my weapon of coice, which will not be a pocket gun. I am looking at the Sg p229, H&K p30 and Walther P99. I already had planned to get several holsters, one for my daily wear (probably the smart cary now that I read everyone's opinion here), a tuckable IWB, and a non tuckable IWB (for the weekends when I'm in jeans). I'm X-Military and pocket guns just don't fit my mindset of how a weapon should feel in hand (beretta's and 1911's). And if you aren't comfortable with the weapon you have then you will be less likely to train with it and then use it if the need arrises.

Sounds like a plan!

Some people love the Smartcarry, and some hate it. From my experience the people who hate them either
    A) Don't have one or
    B) Don't have it adjusted right.

Stay safe out there. Be sure you get back on in 6-8 months when you get your permit.

The TX CHL has slowed to a crawl, worse than molasses in the winter time; for most of the people who have been applying recently.

Congrats on making the decision to protect yourself, Good luck and Stay Safe out there!
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Distinguished Member Array Wasabi's Avatar
    I'd like to try a Smartcarry but I can't get over the fact that it will probably be jamming me in the groin all the time. Especially when riding my Harley. As mentioned, maybe it's just an adjustment thing.

Quote Originally Posted by dyezak View Post
    I'm a relatively thin guy (5'10" 160lbs) and work in an office setting. My dress attire dictates slacks and tucked in button down shirts (no sport coats). To add to this complication, I frequently visit client sites (hospitals). In the past year we have had two employees at different client sites when a shooting happened (you would think a hospital would be safe). Because of this I have decided to get my CHL. The only thing I'm worried about is properly concealing a weapon so as not to upset or alarm anyone (co-workers or clients). Altering my attire would not be a good option as it would bring undue attention. And off body cary is definatly not an option due to me leaving my laptop bag in various places at times. I've seen some decent "deep concealment" IWB holsters, including the smart cary, what I would like to hear is what other people in my shoes have found to work.
    how loose do you wear your slacks?

if the pockets have enough room, try a pocket carried smith and wesson 642 or 442 .38 special. if you don't have enough room, try a ruger LCP .380 (if you can find one--still a hot item) or a kel-tec P3AT .380. both are about as thick as the average cell phone and are easily slipped into a pocket (get a good pocket holster!). i would go with the 642/442 over the .380 options, but go to a gun store and see which can fit in your pocket better.

I have the same situation, but I can not carry at work... personally, I would go with the SmartCarry - it works very well, and no one would know that you were carrying.
    Be Observant and Be Safe.

Current: S&W 442, Springfield XD9sc, XDm9, and Glock G26, G19, G23C,
    and SIG P226-40 TT, and Ruger GP-100, and Beretta 92FS
    Former: Taurus 92SS, SIG P220 TT, S&W 360, SIG P239-40, Ruger 22/45 MKII

Senior Member Array HowardCohodas's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wasabi View Post
    I'd like to try a Smartcarry but I can't get over the fact that it will probably be jamming me in the groin all the time. Especially when riding my Harley. As mentioned, maybe it's just an adjustment thing.
    60 day trial period. What do you have to lose by trying it?
    Howard
    I carry a gun because I can't carry a cop!!
    Politically Incorrect Self Defense

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links