Food For Thought

Food For Thought

This is a discussion on Food For Thought within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; In my state, your gun must be totally concealed. So that pretty well leaves out OWB, unless you leave a shirt outside the belt. Smartcarry ...

Thread: Food For Thought

Food For Thought

In my state, your gun must be totally concealed. So that pretty well leaves out OWB, unless you leave a shirt outside the belt. Smartcarry looks pretty good, but how would you get to your weapon, while driving a vehicle? Almost impossible, I'd think. If you wear an IWB in the 4 o'clock position which is where I carry, again it's almost impossible to access when driving, and seat belt fastened. Carrying on the seat, or under your leg, in the door, etc., as I interpret the law, is against the law. So, what is the solution?

Shoulder holster? I've always fancied a shoulder holster, because I heard that you can shoot behind you while it's still in the holster (maybe just rumors). That and you can carry two more magazines just as easily.

See 'Related Links' above...see 'Holsters'...go to Fist...holster by number...see #42 Crossdraw to Driving holster...
    I think it would work for you...

Stay armed...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

There are some holsters out there that are designed for sitting, and they are easily added or removed from the belt while seated. I use one made by Ross Leather. You would have to make a transfer to your concealment holster possibly, but if you have tinted windows this would be no big deal.

Also, ankle holsters are good for driving for me, ymmv.

I have a shoulder holster too, the Galco Jackass, I like it a lot but it does not conceal very well unless it's under a poofy coat of sorts.
    Dave

"When among wild beasts, if they menace you, be a wild beast."
    -Herman Melville

Clint Smith has a pistol course where he trains you to draw from the strong-side carry in a car. Something along the lines of you lean to your left while stil belted in... tried it a little. Got to get used to it.
    Glock 19/FEG/FM HiPowers/Keltec P32 for me. When I can't use my 870,N98 or Marlin .30-30 of course...

Shoulder holster or crossdraw, as has been mentioned.
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

Senior Member Array HowardCohodas's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Sarge View Post
    Smartcarry looks pretty good, but how would you get to your weapon, while driving a vehicle? Almost impossible, I'd think.
    I added a ClipDraw to my M&P for access while driving. I'm still experimenting on where to carry, but I'm leaning toward 10 o'clock for a cross draw.

Howard
    I carry a gun because I can't carry a cop!!
    Politically Incorrect Self Defense

Check out some of the youtube videos for Smartcarry. There is a guy in a red shirt doing alot of them and he actually goes driving with his glock in smartcarry.

It seems he can draw from seated with a seatbelt. Smartcarry requires you to kinda reach into your pants, and move them out fo the way with your offhand anyway, so moving the seatbelt would kinda be the same motion along with your pants.

Distinguished Member Array mavrik46's Avatar
    I just keep a Stoeger Cougar in an open gun rug under my truck seat. If I can't get the the gun on my belt, I just reach under the seat.
    Greg

It's not what you go thru in life, but how well you go thru it.

Sponsored Links