M.T.A.C. for big guys?

This is a discussion on M.T.A.C. for big guys? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm, ummm, "big boned", and I'm wondering if any of you larger guys use the MTAC. If so, how does it conceal for you? I'm ...

Thread: M.T.A.C. for big guys?

M.T.A.C. for big guys?

I'm, ummm, "big boned", and I'm wondering if any of you larger guys use the MTAC. If so, how does it conceal for you? I'm working on losing weight, but it took me years to gain it, and I know it won't come off overnight. So, in the meantime, I am looking for a good IWB option. I currently have a Don Hume IWB, which has been a decent option, but it neither conceals as well nor holds as securely as I would prefer.

In particular, how close to the body does the gun ride? I wear my pants at my hips, so I don't have as much trouble as some with my love handles pushing the grip outward as others do.
    "Water can flow, or it can crash. Be like water, my friend."-Bruce Lee

My Blog

"Luck, often enough, will save a man if his courage does hold."

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    I am a "bigger" guy I guess. Not skinny at all. I am 5' 9" tall and weigh in about 215 to 220. Kinda got the "gut" syndrome if you will.

After much research and study, I chose the MTac for my XD45 4" Service model. Big gun.

After a couple weeks the MTac has come into its own and is now VERY comfortable and I carry that big pistol 10 to 12 hours a day every day.

I carry at the 4'oclock position, right side with the clips positioned for maximum forward cant. This gets the gun up higher as well so it doesnt dig into my middle waist and allows the butt of the pistol to be better hidden. I also purchased new pants one size larger for extra comfort.

For extra measure of comfort, I wear a t-shirt tucked into my under shorts to keep the holster from contacting bare skin, then my outer shirt is tucked between the holster and the inside waist band of my pants. I blouse/pull my outer company shirt out a bit more just for pistol butt coverage.

I keep it all stable with a Beltman bullhide 1.5" gun belt.

No problems concealing at all and is absolutely as comfortable as I can imagine it getting.
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

Ive worn one with a .45 Taurus. I'm 6'2" around 275. I have worn my rig all day w?out a problem.

I'm about 5'10" and 225ish.
    I wear an MTAC with an HK P30 riding in it. Not exactly a small firearm. It's comfortable enough with a good belt (also Comp-Tac) I regularly forget I'm wearing my gun.

Photos of me here
    Mindset - Tactics - Skills - Equipment
    http://www.ingunowners.com
    W9ZEB dot Org

I haven't found NOT ONE IWB that works for me. I tried out the Crossbreed, and this would have worked great had I no dunlap on the sides..lol. The piece of leather would dig into my skin all day long. I tried a few others, with no luck...I tried a Blackhawk Serpa OWB, and this worked great as long as I had on an undershirt, and a unbuttoned outter shirt for concealment. Now, I am currently wearing a OWB made by Don Hume..it's the H721OT..and I am waiting for a High-Noon Slide Guard in Horse Hide..lined. You can get the Don Hume to tide you over until a higher-end one comes in or if you just want one right away to try out. Gun Holsters and Shooting Accessories at Discounted Prices. It was here in three days. So it conceals great, tight to the body, very little contact between me and the holster, and I can get away with just wearing a T-shirt. That's huge for me...seeing how I use T-shirts, and shorts 85% of the time. Give it a consideration..OWB are a great choice when you don't have "EXTRA" room in your waistband to stuff a gun in there.
    I don't try anything...I just do it!

I am a big guy (6'2" 275) and carry my 4" 1911 IWB at 5 o'clock in an MTAC using a 1 1/4 in heavy leather belt (basic plain black purchased from a police supply). The gun rides tight against me. The MTAC is very comfortable - though I prefer wearing an undershirt in case I want to tuck a dress shirt down over the gun (which works very well I might add). It is less costly and quicker to receive (1 week for me) than other holsters. I got the standard clips in black. One clip brok from getting caught on something. I got two of the newer slim standard clips - I like them alot.
    Kimber Pro CDP II

"Though defensive violence will always be 'a sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." St. Augustine A.D. 354-430

I'm 6'1 300lbs and carry a g19 in a mtac and it works great.
    I had the infidel holster before and it dug into my side bad when I'd
    sit down but the mtac doesn't do that at all. it kind of molds into
    my love handle and conceals very well. lol. I highly recommend it
    for all us husky people

well, I'm 5'7 and 255 (hey, if I wasn't pudgie, I wouldn't have the name Fozzy Bear...)

My input to you would be that EVERYONE (heavy, thin, and in-between) ends up trying a few different types. That's what we mean when we talk about that "box full o' holsters" that we all have... (personally I just sold off 3 this month.)

Don't get discouraged if the first one (or four) that you try didn't work out for you. Just sell them (it's easy here) and try another. the vendor list here is long and I can't imagine it taking THAT long to find one you want.

And keep in mind that others are doing that too. Check the "for sale" section on this site. If you've got a common gun, it won't be long before somebody's selling the next holster you were looking for.

(and for the record... No, I'm not currently trying to sell anything)

And just so I'm not a cop-out. To the original question...

I've tried a friend's MTAC and crossbreed. I liked the crossbreed a bit better, but I could see that it's a toss-up between them. Both rode well and concealed easily on my "big boned" body. But if you want to know specifically about the handle being pushed out... nothing I've seen does a better job at keeping the gun close to the body as a High Noon IWB (I've had 3 of their IWB tuckables, and all were great. the tail-gunner was the best at handle-management.)
    Heisenberg may have slept here

Thumbs up

6'3" and 285#s, carrying a PT1911 and I use the MTAC in all clothing options that I can use a belt with, and have total comfort and concealablity. Good Luck.

Sam.
    Last edited by BIGSAM; May 29th, 2008 at 10:31 PM. Reason: Adding type of weapon

I ordered my Mtac today and the production times were quoted at 10 days plus 4-6 shipping days. I thought they have these on a shelf somewhere already made and they just match the order. Was I wrong. Any way, I'll give my input after I receive this sometime this year.

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cop2b View Post
    I ordered my Mtac today and the production times were quoted at 10 days plus 4-6 shipping days. I thought they have these on a shelf somewhere already made and they just match the order. Was I wrong. Any way, I'll give my input after I receive this sometime this year.
    You will get your holster in the amount of time CompTac says youwill get it. They are top notch.

There has been an explosion in concealed weapons permit applications nationwide. I can only speculate that the holster/accessories market follows suit.
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

Got a MTAC for a full sized 1911 a just a little bit ago. Ordered from Comp-tac on 5/12, it shipped on 5/15 & I had it by Monday 5/19 - definately less time than advertised on the website.

I am definately a member of the squatty body club (5'11'', 300+ lb w/28" inseam) but had no problems with the MTAC other than occasionally getting jabbed a bit by the edge of one of the "horns" of the grip safety not covered by the sweat shield... I typically carry somewhere between 3:00 & 3:30.

FWIW, I also have a Crossbreed Supertuck I use with a Ruger P95. (It's my preferred hot weather carry since I worry less about condensation with the polymer frame ). The Crossbreed may be a bit more comfortable since the leather sweatshield provides more coverage than the MTAC does, and pretty much prevents any body/metal contact - only a bit of the grip touches directly. It has come to have a bit of a curve where it is pressed against the rearmost portion of the slide, which shows how well the gun is being held in close.

I always wear an undershirt while carrying IWB - can't imagine being comfortable without doing so.

Nick

Quote Originally Posted by nikdfish View Post
    problems with the MTAC other than occasionally getting jabbed a bit by the edge of one of the "horns" of the grip safety not covered by the sweat shield
    I also have a Crossbreed Supertuck ...a bit more comfortable since the leather sweatshield provides more coverage than the MTAC does, and pretty much prevents any body/metal contact -

That's exactly why I went with the crossbreed myself... It's about the only difference I felt between them (in the short ... about 30 minutes each ... time I was trying them out.)
    Heisenberg may have slept here

Quote Originally Posted by Tally XD View Post
    You will get your holster in the amount of time CompTac says youwill get it. They are top notch.

There has been an explosion in concealed weapons permit applications nationwide. I can only speculate that the holster/accessories market follows suit.
    Received the email confirmation Friday but didnt check it till Sunday. It saya 10 days for processing and 3 days for shipping so I should have mine by next weekend.

Links