Crazy Thought - Page 2

Crazy Thought

This is a discussion on Crazy Thought within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Yep! I'm totally in agreement w/ Tire Iron. I've had more than a few customers over the years order left and right hand versions of ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Crazy Thought

Yep! I'm totally in agreement w/ Tire Iron. I've had more than a few customers over the years order left and right hand versions of the same holster, usually for the same firearm. That way, magazines, ammo and mags all interchange, and the manual of arms is the same as well. (Not small considerations when spares can be half a world away)
    As a side note, these folks are usually the "been there and done that" kind of guys - real world experience has taught them the value of redundancy. (which seems to be the only real cure for Murphy)

See there we go. I was just posing a hypothetical and actually managed to learn something.

There is an old/new adage that goes like this:

"One is none - two is one."

It is usually in referrence to flashlights and other "accessories" - meaning that if it goes t/u - which ANY devise will - if you only have one - then you are left with "none". Whereas if you have two - and one goes t/u - you still have one.

The reason I would caution against carrying both handguns for "one side" - is that armed encounters are H@LL on extremeties. The odds of getting injured/wounded in the "gun" arm/hand are HIGH. Well - if you carrying both guns for your "gun" arm/hand - you just made getting your second gun out VERY difficult.

Try and get your gun out of a "right hand carry" rig with your left hand. Even a shoulder holster. Now try it under the stress of a "two way range". It aint easy - nor practical.

Those are some of the reasons I have used and would use a "mirror image" set-up.

Of course - YMMV.

cheers

tire iron

Quote Originally Posted by tire iron
    The reason I would caution against carrying both handguns for "one side" - is that armed encounters are H@LL on extremeties. The odds of getting injured/wounded in the "gun" arm/hand are HIGH. Well - if you carrying both guns for your "gun" arm/hand - you just made getting your second gun out VERY difficult.

Try and get your gun out of a "right hand carry" rig with your left hand. Even a shoulder holster. Now try it under the stress of a "two way range". It aint easy - nor practical.

Those are some of the reasons I have used and would use a "mirror image" set-up.

Of course - YMMV.

cheers

tire iron

You bring up an excellent point: During the stress of an actual gunfight, people tend to focus on their opponent's weapon and unconsciously shoot at it, rather than the guy firing it. The result is that many, many people end up getting shot in their gun hand.
    I've spent time on the range with a lot of good instructors - One thing that they all have in common is that they will tell you over and over again that your back-up gun should be accessible w/ your weak hand.
    My first pistolcraft class was taught by Paul Baumener. He was not real well known to the general shooting public, but the level of training was outstanding. (He tended to cater to the various alphabet soup guys and did not do much advertising to the general public) He shared with me that in the first exchange that he was involved in, it was a CQB situation and he got shot all to hell and would have died if his partner had not intervened. He took the first rounds fired in his gun arm and hand, and had no back-up weapon. He was toast right from the git. Being really fortunate to have survived, he took the lesson to heart and focused a LOT of attention on weak hand shooting (often making his students miserable in the process).
    I heard a quote from a Russian general once that said something to the effect of, "stupid peple learn from their own mistakes - clever people learn from others' mistakes".
    I was VERY fortunate to have the opportunity to have learned this lesson without getting shot myself. It seemed worth passing along. Stay safe, everyone.

Assistant Administrator
    Thx for that Gary - salutary to say the least!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Another shoulder holster option,
    http://www.andrewsleather.com/
    go to shoulder holsters, then to Urban Safari Rig(USR)
    Train how you Fight
    Slow is Smooth, Smooth is Fast!
    "Anything you do can get you killed, including nothing." Murphy's Combat Law

OD*
    The best way I've found for me to carry two Gov't Models is my old Jackass shoulder rig.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Exclamation Try this

Quote Originally Posted by maclean3
    I remember seeing a rig a few years ago called the "New York Reload." I can't remember who made it but the pic was a S.O.B. holster with twin snubbies positioned mirrored at the top straps, other guns were possible. I wouldn't personally carry this way due to the "wheelchair effect" but those rigs are out there to be had.

Double shoulder rigs are offered by a few holster makers and you could always use dual OWB rigs, dual crossdraws... or dual IWBs and clown pants. :D
    Jack
    Check: http://www.andrewsleather.com/ Sam has some high quality shoulder rigs. I have two of his. If I wanted to carry twin 1911's he has a rig on his web catalog.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

I usually did it with one cross-draw and one regular, both on weak side being a lefty and facing car situations.

I also keep a pocket BUG in the left pocket if that side goes to hell.

It's heavy, but so am I. ;)

If I really expect trouble, like a 3 am service call to a downed server, I do shoulder holster too.
    Driver carries less than $45 worth of remorse.

I too am interested in this idea, for most of the reasons listed. I like the mirrored holster like The New York Reload. Is this the only holster of this type? Are there any other companies that make a mirrored holster for two full size 1911's? Someone mentioned one from the movie Face Off, does someone actually make that holster and if so, who?

Also, I'd consider a shoulder rig, but I need one that holds the guns muzzle down, or at a diagonal angle, not horizontally with the muzzles facing backwards. I'm kind of small framed and I'm afraid that a horizontal mount would allow the muzzles to print in the back.

Sorry to revive a semi-old thread.
    *** IN CASE OF EMERGENCY, DIAL - 1911 ***

Dan Wesson / CZ: Pointman 7, Stainless .45 ACP
    LaserMax, Carbon Fiber Ultra-thin Grips, Milt Sparks VM2, Milt Sparks 1.5" Tapered Gun Belt, Nickel Buckle, Galco Dual Magazine Carrier

Charles Daly: Field Hunter VR-MC, Semi-Auto 12g

Assistant Administrator
    Sorry to revive a semi-old thread.
    Haha - no thread dies - unless we kill it!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Quote Originally Posted by oregonshooter
    OWB strong side
    OWB weak side, cross draw
    This is what I'm getting corfortable with, one place at a time.

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar
    I would carry kimber strong side IWB, my Colt officer is shoulder rig, my jframe in my ankle rig, the Taurus pt140 in the smart carry, and the keltec p3at, in a pocket holster, with a folding knife in the other pocket, and a BBBBug in the truck console.
    Then it is off to church for me...lol
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

I suppose I could buy another Milt Sparks VM2, for the weak side, carry one at 3:30, other at 8:30.

My only concern with the mirrored setup is sitting...which I occasionally have to do. Its tough to drive without sitting, unless a Segway is your primary mode of transportation, then you have more troubling issues anyway... I could get some type of car holsters to put them into when I get into the car, but that would quickly become a pain in the butt switching back and fourth.

I could carry two of them mirrored in the front, 'mexican', but being full size 1911's, I don't want 'em pokin' me in the junk. :icon_lol:
    *** IN CASE OF EMERGENCY, DIAL - 1911 ***

Dan Wesson / CZ: Pointman 7, Stainless .45 ACP
    LaserMax, Carbon Fiber Ultra-thin Grips, Milt Sparks VM2, Milt Sparks 1.5" Tapered Gun Belt, Nickel Buckle, Galco Dual Magazine Carrier

Charles Daly: Field Hunter VR-MC, Semi-Auto 12g

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links