Little Bear holsters?

Little Bear holsters?

This is a discussion on Little Bear holsters? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Anyone used this guy? He says he has a 10-14 day turn around and they look to be nice holsters. Little Bear Custom Holsters...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Little Bear holsters?

Anyone used this guy? He says he has a 10-14 day turn around and they look to be nice holsters.

Little Bear Custom Holsters

Last edited by Captain Crunch; May 31st, 2008 at 12:37 AM. Reason: Added link.

sigh. another VMII copy.
    Go Glock - until you can afford H&K

While the Milt Sparks VMII is a pretty simple design and has no patent, it is the king of the IWB holsters. It's quality is superb and it is a lifetime holster. I think the best option would be to order up one from Milt Sparks. For those of us that have them it is time not wasted and money well spent.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

Administrator
    Well, I read through the makers web site and he seems like a decent guy just trying to make a living for himself.

He also gives a nice little "hats off" to the Master Holster Makers like Milt Sparks & Del Fatti etc. & includes a link to their web sites.

The question to ask him would be "Who is your leather supplier?" since his holsters (no matter how well designed or constructed) are only going to be as good (concerning longevity) as the raw material/leather that he starts out with.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by semperfi.45 View Post
    While the Milt Sparks VMII is a pretty simple design and has no patent, it is the king of the IWB holsters. It's quality is superb and it is a lifetime holster. I think the best option would be to order up one from Milt Sparks. For those of us that have them it is time not wasted and money well spent.
    right, i know that. to repeat the question, does anyone have any experience with the one i posted. i am well aware of Sparks, and Crossbreed and K&D, etc. that isn't the question.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Well, I read through the makers web site and he seems like a decent guy just trying to make a living for himself.

He also gives a nice little "hats off" to the Master Holster Makers like Milt Sparks & Del Fatti etc. & includes a link to their web sites.

The question to ask him would be "Who is your leather supplier?" since his holsters (no matter how well designed or constructed) are only going to be as good (concerning longevity) as the raw material/leather that he starts out with.
    that's a good point.

I sent Dave an email today asking for a price on a mag/surefire carrier and he replied back with all the info I needed. So far his customer service is good by me. I'm definitely gonna order from him.

please post a review when you get it. i may be getting a new MC Operator and i'll need to get a holster for it. i think i'd like to try someone different than the norms this time.

How many people would know what leather is good or not?

I build gunbelts and holsters and buy leather form several sources. Unless you are in the leather business you have probably not heard of my suppliers. I only use A grade leather and the products I make are as good as any on the market. But I only service my local area thru gun shows and word of mouth advertising at this time. Right now it's only a part time business and I'm not able to go full time for a number of reasons. Remember that all the big name leather makers had to start small at some time. And they won't all be around forever, there's always someone new coming up thru the ranks.

If you see someone new and you like the look of their work, give them a call and talk to them. We all have one thing in common, we want to make quality leather products for our customers. You don't get into the leather working trades to become rich, it doesn't happen. You do it because you enjoy working with leather and you get a lot of satisfaction from providing a quality product that your customers like.
    gunfighter 48
    A 45 may not expand but it will never be smaller than .45!!!
    NRA Life Member

Administrator

Leather

I agree with what you just said gunfighter.

However......Most (if not all) of the Top custom holster makers use Hermann Oak leather.

There must be a reason why and all seem to agree that it's the best suited for their holsters.

They have a 10 hide minimum though but, you should be able to locate a distributor to buy one or a couple.

Also try Try Wickett & Craig in Pennsylvania.

They have great leather and will split it to any thickness.
    The Wickett & Craig leather tools & molds beautifully. I have used ther leather for knife sheaths. It's beautiful stuff.
    They are like a best kept secret.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I agree with what you just said gunfighter.

However......Most (if not all) of the Top custom holster makers use Hermann Oak leather.

There must be a reason why and all seem to agree that it's the best suited for their holsters.

They have a 10 hide minimum though but, you should be able to locate a distributor to buy one or a couple.

Also try Try Wickett & Craig in Pennsylvania.

They have great leather and will split it to any thickness.
    The Wickett & Craig leather tools & molds beautifully. I have used ther leather for knife sheaths. It's beautiful stuff.
    They are like a best kept secret.
    I agree on Wickett & Craig, it's very good leather. I've found it to be every bit as good as Herman Oak. There's been some discussion this last year on some of the leather worker boards about the quality of Herman Oak leather. A lot of saddle makers and some of the holster makers are finding the quality of the leather in not as good lately as it has been in the past. Seem to be a feeling that generally leather quality is suffering some decline in the last few years.

Since I am a small time maker I can't always by in the bulk quantities that Herman Oak wants. But that's not to say that I don't by the best leather that I can. I just by from other suppliers. If the leather is good then it goes into my products. If I don't like it's qualities then it becomes practice material. All I wanted to say is that because someone is small and starting out doesn't mean they turn out inferior products. Being small means that I can cater to my customers wishes easier than some of the big shops can. Give the small guys a chance, you may be surprised at the quality of their work.
    gunfighter 48
    A 45 may not expand but it will never be smaller than .45!!!
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by gunfighter48 View Post
    All I wanted to say is that because someone is small and starting out doesn't mean they turn out inferior products. Being small means that I can cater to my customers wishes easier than some of the big shops can. Give the small guys a chance, you may be surprised at the quality of their work.
    Absolutely! Before I started watching the online forums I was only familiar with the old established companies like Sparks and Rosen and was certainly happy with their work, but since then I've discovered some of these new guys and I've found them to be very accomodating and eager to try work with you if you need something a bit different.

I've been very impressed with Nate at UBG Holsters and John at 5 Shot, and will continue to do business with them.
    "Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!" - Patrick Henry

kpw
    Quote Originally Posted by Catalina View Post
    sigh. another VMII copy.
    Looks more like a Watch-Six to me. Most makers have a similar design.

Quote Originally Posted by Catalina View Post
    sigh. another VMII copy.
    There is only so many places one can place straps on a holster. And in my opinion MS got their ideas from someone else too. So I don't see anyone redisigning a better mouse trap. Competition is good for everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by gunfighter48 View Post
    How many people would know what leather is good or not?.........
    Exactly. When AT&T comes out to install a phone line, I don't inquire who their copper or fiber supplier is. This is something that I don't need to know. If you are putting out a great product (holster), that is all I need to know - just the reputation. If I am stocking thousands of your holsters in several stores - then I might ask that question - but here again, most likely not.

Administrator

Well, the Hermann Oak issue was ultimately resolved with the highly qualified finding that there never really was a quality control problem with the Hermann Oak leather - only a possible problem with the personal integrity of the individual that originally posted about it.

That having been said the reason that I would want to know what leather any maker was using is because there has been a huge influx of imported vegetable tanned leather finding its way into the stock of the Leather-craft Seller/Suppliers these days.

A portion of it is deemed low grade due to "cosmetic defects" (which can be worked around) but, some of it is just "downright awful leather" NOT suitable for holsters...though it might be fine for general leather-craft purses and billfolds.

Some additional thoughts:

Absolutely there are some great small scale holster makers who are just starting out. And they are making nice custom holsters.
    Some of them are available at decent cost savings and better "wait time" savings.
    For Sure...I have no problem with that.

In fact the "Well Known Top Holster Makers" seem to have no problem with it either.
    Many of the beginning holster makers have received considerable general help and selfless advice from the "Big Name" custom holster makers.

That does not alter the fact that any holster can be beautifully constructed/stitched/and dyed but, made out of sub-standard leather.

And while it will look great and initially be OK - it just may not hold up very well to everyday hard and professional use.

And yes, I consider ordinary American Citizens who carry a holstered firearm every day for years to be Carry Professionals.

My only point being that some relatively unknown holster makers are charging prices that are fairly close to the posted prices of the top known makers.
    Which sort of makes the only real savings one of "wait time" rather than of both "wait time" and money.

Don't get me wrong "saving waiting time" is great if it gets you a top quality leather rig sooner and for some savings in money...which brings me right back to my original above comment of why I would want to know what leather supplier the maker was using.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links