Pancake or inside pants holsters?

This is a discussion on Pancake or inside pants holsters? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Do you all have any experience wearing these holsters? if you can give some suggestions on good concealed holsters, baton holders, cuff holders etc. I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pancake or inside pants holsters?

Pancake or inside pants holsters?

Do you all have any experience wearing these holsters?

if you can give some suggestions on good concealed holsters, baton holders, cuff holders etc. I prefer to wear them on the belt rather than on a vest or in pockets. I have heard about pancake holsters and inside pants holsters. Any suggestions?

2. Remove Ads

Once you've tried IWB...you'll never go back...

Fist #1A IWB with a cant and body protector...I have six of that holster alone...many other Fist holster, too!

Stay armed...use an IWB...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I'll try to avoid any 'pancakes inside the pants' gags...

If possible, ask to try the IWB holster of someone you know who carries. That's what got me sold on my Crossbreed. Tried out my instructor's, and it was VERY comfy. Ultimately, it's going to depend on what YOU find most comfortable, coupled with your ability to conceal the holster, be it pancake/OWB or IWB.

As far as holsters for all that other gear, I can't help you, as I don't need it. I wouldn't recommend carrying all that mess IWB, though...you'd need to buy a whole new wardrobe of pants and a belt about 10" than what you normaly wear.

-JT

Outside the waisteband is more comfortable but a little harder to conceal. I like the MTAC inside the waisteband. I have tried several IWB holsters and the MTAC is THE most comfortable IMO.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

jam
    I'm a big guy (read fat) and whenever I'm not wearing a coat I carry IWB becuase it is more concealable. However in the winter and other appropriate times I wear OWB in a pancake when I know I am going to have a coat on at all appropriate times.

While this maybe a little odd, but in the summer time I keep my holster with magazine pouches on an old pair of jeans in my bedroom so that if there is an emergency or something comes up I can just holster my weapon and go ( that's how I was able to justify the purchase of the OWB to myself!).

Also for me the thickness of my gun makes a huge difference. My 1911 is my preferred IWB and while I have an IWB for my full size hk usp 45 I almost never wear it becuase it is so thick.

Distinguished Member Array mavrik46's Avatar
    I agree with retsupt99, I always carried in a pancake until I took the plunge and bought a good IWB. That's all I used now. Lot's easier to conceal, and to me it is just a comfortable as the pancake.
    Greg

It's not what you go thru in life, but how well you go thru it.

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar
    I have used both for a number of years. I prefer the pancake.
    I normally wear a shirt untucked, and the pancake conceals well with that garb. I wear a coat and tie to church, and other places at times, and the coat conceals almost anything.

I have used various kinds of IWB holsters from top makers, and although some are reasonably comfortable, the pancake is more comfortable for me.
    The IWB takes up room in your pants and you might have to buy a size larger.

I have some friends who just cannot wear an IWB so it is not a sure thing that you will like or prefer it.

My favorite IWB is the ExC by Sparks. The extra leather skirt prevents the muzzle end from digging in.

The only way you are going to know is to try both.

Regards,
    Jerry

I am very happy with my Simply Rugged pancake/IWB holster. It has removable straps for IWB carrying. It fits wonderfully OWB strong side. Both IWB and OWB are comfy.

Cheers!

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    I prefer inside the waistband holsters.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

OWB pancake style holsters are very good at holding the gun high and tight to your side generally with belt slots or belt loops with snaps.

IWB can also be pancake style with two connection points with clips, belt loops with snaps or stitched closed loops. They can also be fold over single piece of leather. The pancake style is generally more secure and what I use for larger guns. The folded over style works good for smaller guns or if you like less bulk.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

IWB holsters gives you the most versatility year round IMHO. Unless you are planning on living near the North or South Pole you will want to take off that jacket or coat eventually. A good IWB holster and an untucked shirt will allow you to do just that.
    God bless our troops!

Senior Member Array bluelineman's Avatar
    If you're wearing all that on the belt, it better be a good gun belt. I just got a Beltman Horsehide, 1 1/2" wide belt. It is VERY STURDY. It is a little thinner than the reinforced Bullhide & more sturdy, at only $10 more.

M2
    I have a paddle holster for one of my revolvers. I wore it yesterday and to be honest it was a lot less comfortable than wearing one of my semi-autos with an IWB holster. Also, it prints a heckuva lot more than an IWB holster...

Cheers! M2

Have both. I like my IWB for consealability.

As others have said, which ever you go with, get a good belt.

For CCW, I prefer IWB holsters and the best, most comfortable Ive found is the Tucker Answer.

For OWB, a great pancake is harrrrd to beat.
    "Happiness, is a warm gun" -St. John of Liverpool

Proud to be an infidel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links