Not So Smart Carry - Page 2

Not So Smart Carry

This is a discussion on Not So Smart Carry within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Ragin Cajun I had tried one. It ate more nuts then the squirls at city park. I can see where it has ...

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Not So Smart Carry

Quote Originally Posted by Ragin Cajun View Post
    I had tried one. It ate more nuts then the squirls at city park. I can see where it has a purpose for really deep concealment but's not for me.
    Good one!
    America: Your government is not ignoring you, it's insulting you.

The Bill of Rights: Void where prohibited by law.

Quote Originally Posted by CR2008 View Post
    Personally, I want to see a video where the user draws from the smart carry holster, and compare the times to that of a OWB/IWB or a pocket holster.
    One user here claimed it took him 2seconds, and it sounds as if he is satisfied with that, but 2seconds to me sounds to long.
    Smart carry is a deep concealment holster, it won't be as fast as IWB or OWB. I carry a Glock 19 in mine. Dress dictates what holster I use.
    Okiemountaineer

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by CR2008 View Post
    Personally, I want to see a video where the user draws from the smart carry holster, and compare the times to that of a OWB/IWB or a pocket holster.
    One user here claimed it took him 2seconds, and it sounds as if he is satisfied with that, but 2seconds to me sounds to long.
    I wear one almost everyday, I find it very comfortable and the best way for me to carry at the office.

It is not as fast as IWB or OWB but faster than a tuckable for me.
    BigJon10125 likes this.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

I can see the necessity for such a holster for many, and I can't argue that many of those users find the holster comfortable.

But regardless of how strict I am with using the safety between my ears, I can't get over the muzzle of my gun being that intimate with my twig and berries.

Maybe it's just me.

-JT

I have a smart carry and consider it another tool in the box. It's specifically designed to be a deep concealment holster so you probably won't be able to keep up with someone using a race rig. That being said, with practice you can actually draw much quicker with the gun in a smart carry than you can with the gun locked up at home in the safe.

Holsters seem to be pretty personal, I read the forum to get ideas not gospel. What works for some won't work for others. My smart carry spends most of it's time in the box of holsters, but there are specific times when it meets my needs to a tee.

As others have said, proper adjustment is a must. Read the instructions and play with it. I wear mine as per the instructions but slightly off center. Before the belly got too big I used to wear it with the butt of the pistol almost under my belt buckle. That's what worked for me, I've read others who use a different placement.

My preferred carry is OWB at about 3:30. When that's not appropriate I use IWB, I really like my CrossBreed, it works well. When that method is not appropriate I go to pocket carry, then to smart carry. For me it's kind of progressive and dependent on the current situation.

Holdcard
    If You Want To POPULATE Heaven
    You Have To PLUNDER Hell!!

4th Man Ministries

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu View Post
    I can see the necessity for such a holster for many, and I can't argue that many of those users find the holster comfortable.

But regardless of how strict I am with using the safety between my ears, I can't get over the muzzle of my gun being that intimate with my twig and berries.

Maybe it's just me.

-JT
    Ditto

I too sent mine back. To echo others: it is not for everyone but those who like really like it.

I found it just didn't do what it advertised. It was not concealable for me in the clothing I wear (even a size or two too large). I wanted to really like this holster, I spent hours trying to make it work but in the end, I returned it.

Good luck with your search!

I use the smartcarry about 4x/week. Either a j-frame or subcompact glock. I do this when working out at the gym. I am not fast with it like I am with strong side OWB. One negative for me is that I have to use my off hand in the draw (to pull the pants out so I can grip the gun. I do not like to be reliant upon 2 hands to complete a draw/presentation, and the smart carry requires it.

The only other time I use it is when I am lazy around the house. workout shorts and tank-top and the smart carry. Most times I put on the camp shorts and a proper OWB/IWB holster.

I have some DVD's from gunvideo with Lenny Magill (SP?) and there was a brief video clip of someone (asian gentleman) drawing from the same location as a smartcarry. He was extremely fast on the draw. He was skinny. Off hand looked like it pushed the muzzle up. strong hand grabbed the pistol and presented it.

Senior Member Array HowardCohodas's Avatar
    I carry an M&P full size 45 with a spare 10-round magazine in a SmartCarry. The 10-round spare will soon be replaced with the 14-round extended magazine.

I can't address relative speed between the SmartCarry and other concealed methods as this is my first experience owning a pistol. As I practice my speed improves. I practice with snap caps and have never had an ND, though I fumbled once and dropped it on the rug. I backed off and began bringing increasing my speed more slowly.

The SmartCarry took me over 2 weeks to get completely comfortable with it. I was highly motivated to make it work because my wife in barely tolerant of my carrying and most of my family is opposed to the concept. They haven't asked and I haven't told. My family and social situations usually involve a lot of hugging so I was reluctant to carry anything on my waist or under my arms. I am opposed to center of back. I have been able to roughhouse, snuggle and fall asleep with my grandchildren without being detected.

Position transitioning took some practice to perfect. Thumbs inside the waistband and inside the SmartCarry when I hike my pants is discrete and effective. The only situation I was unable to solve was good access while driving in some vehicles. No problem in my Trailblazer but difficult in my wife's Camry. My solution was to add a universal ClipDraw and holster IWB at 10 o'clock when driving.

Illustrative images follow. If there concerns I have failed to cover, just ask.

The ClipDraw (and CT LaserGrip) in my M&P 45

M&P 45 plus 10-round spare magazine in SmartCarry
    Howard
    I carry a gun because I can't carry a cop!!
    Politically Incorrect Self Defense

I tried one. No problems with poking, but it was too hot for me.

I carry a full-size .45 in a SmartCarry with spare mag, wear it everyday about 15 hours a day and my weapon is fully concealed. I use it for deep concealment and not for speed. I can't get used to an IWB, altho' I've carried w/o a holster, gun tucked into my waist, but that was also uncomfortable. I prefer a high rise hip holster, OWB, for speed, but high temperatures and humidity make it impractical for concealment. I've sacrificed some speed for concealment and comfort and I like my SmartCarry. Nice design.
    Semper Vigilantia - Semper Paratus
    NRA Life Member

Absolutely the most comfortable, no hassle holster I own.

Fast to put on. More than quick enough on the draw if you have reasonable situational awareness. No cover garments to fuss with. No checking or adjusting my state of cover. No worries about being disarmed by someone on my six. No problem carrying extra ammo. No limitation in clothing choices. No problems bending over to pick something up. No problem wrestling with the kids. No worries about being made.

No problems whats so ever.

It is the only holster I use anymore.

BTW- if your gun is pointing at your twig and berries, you either need a bigger gun or should call your doctor if it has been over four hours.

When properly worn, the barrel is below the T & B area. Any accidental discharge would be an issue for your toes.

BAC
    As long as one is confident they can pull it out in reasonable speed (the gun, I mean), all should be well. As others have said, deep concealment holsters will never win the speed game with other holsters, but they weren't meant to. I like the idea of a shoulder holster style for deep concealment, but I've never been in a position to try anything but standard strong side IWB and OWB holsters.

-B

Senior Member Array bluelineman's Avatar
    Here's a good short video clip of how well it covers the trigger guard.

YouTube - Smart Carry Trigger Protection

What kind of build do you guys have? I'm thinking about getting one for the summer to carry my M&P 9c. I'm just afraid since I'm a wiry 6'2"/160, it'll look like I'm packing some extra "twig" especially in khakis.

I normally use a Crossbreed, but crawling under sinks and reaching for stuff is a hassle if you're trying to keep a t-shirt in place.
    "Lord, help me to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Links