Not So Smart Carry

This is a discussion on Not So Smart Carry within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by MnemonicMonkey What kind of build do you guys have? I'm thinking about getting one for the summer to carry my M&P 9c. ...

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Not So Smart Carry

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by MnemonicMonkey View Post
    What kind of build do you guys have? I'm thinking about getting one for the summer to carry my M&P 9c. I'm just afraid since I'm a wiry 6'2"/160, it'll look like I'm packing some extra "twig" especially in khakis.

I normally use a Crossbreed, but crawling under sinks and reaching for stuff is a hassle if you're trying to keep a t-shirt in place.
    Well I'm 6'3" and weigh 140lbs with pleated pants or blue jeans and a bloused or untucked shirt my twig doesn't turn into a tree
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

2. Remove Ads

Unhappy Deep concealment rig

I've used a Thunderwear rig for over 3 months now with my SP101 revolver. Very similar to the Smart Carry variation. I wear mine every waking hour of every day and everywhere I go. Here in MA, open carry is frowned upon, so you have to conceal it well in order to stay out of trouble. Two things I find disturbing about this style of holstering.

First, I practice drawing....a lot! The fabric at the seam where the revolver's hammer sits, is starting to show wear already. A disappointment, to be sure. I'm confident this rig will not last the year.

Second, again, concerned with drawing, even with daily practice, at least 1/10 draws hang - again by the hammer. This is disturbing as I never know when it will hang, even though you can free it easily enough. In an emergency, an extra second can be critical, as you can imagine.

But all in all, it is a very comfortable rig to wear and I have no problem with the position. Sometimes, if I'm wearing an untucked shirt, I will raise it high enough for the grip to be at the belt line or just a bit above. Being sufficiently concealed, yet allowing much quicker and positive access. JMO.
    "A voyage in search for knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Senior Member Array HowardCohodas's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Crestliner View Post
    Two things I find disturbing about this style of holstering.

First, I practice drawing....a lot! The fabric at the seam where the revolver's hammer sits, is starting to show wear already. A disappointment, to be sure. I'm confident this rig will not last the year.

Second, again, concerned with drawing, even with daily practice, at least 1/10 draws hang - again by the hammer. This is disturbing as I never know when it will hang, even though you can free it easily enough. In an emergency, an extra second can be critical, as you can imagine.
    Two differences between ThunderWare and SmartCarry are first, the dividing line between pouches is asymetric in the SmartCarry making it easier to carry a full size auto with adaquate room for a spare magazine. Second, the internal seams on the SmartCarry are built so that they eliminate snagging. The M&P is hammerless so I can't comment on that. But I've never snagged on either the SmartCarry or my clothes with the significant beavertail on the M&P.

See picture in an earlier post on this thread.
    Howard
    I carry a gun because I can't carry a cop!!
    Politically Incorrect Self Defense

Thunderwear

Hmmm...I find it difficult to believe that the Smart Carry is that much different, but having not owned both, I cannot voice that opinion. However, I can tell you - rather show you - what I am talking about. My revolver is, as you will see, sitting a very different relationship than your automatic, Howard. Also, I know that the checkering on my SP101 is very course and I even had to stone it down somewhat, so that it wouldn't abrade my thumb.

In any case, you will see, with these photos that the abrasion is real and that it is caused by the hammer's checkering:

Here's a closer view:

And finally, the damage being done during normal draw & shoot practice:

Like I previously said, it is doubtful that the Smart Carry is any better equipped to deal with the problems I have experienced. JMO.

I use a smart carry for my taurus PT111 and my S&W 642. I have to move around all the time while wearing it at work. It does tend to ride up on me a little sometimes so I just kinda re-adjust it (just takes a couple seconds). Nobody wouldn't know I'm adjusting the smart carry, just like I'm adjusting my pants a little or something. But I am getting up and sitting down a lot moving around in all kinds of ways. It doesn't really jab me. Sometimes I forget I'm wearing it. I can carry my 642 with shorts and a t-shirt and nobody would ever know, but I don't know if I would wear shorts and a t-shirt with a PT111. It's just a little more bulky, but I'm sure nobody would notice other than me. I do find it more comfortable to wear with shorts (cargo style, khaki type material). I have tried a desantis pocket holster which I didn't like at all. I have also tried a IWB pro stealth for the PT111 and I didn't like that either. I'm going to try a k&d IWB next I think.

Senior Member Array bluelineman's Avatar
    That's the beauty of a hammerless gun, no snagging. In my case, my SW 442 works well in a Smart Carry.

Senior Member Array HowardCohodas's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Crestliner View Post
    Like I previously said, it is doubtful that the Smart Carry is any better equipped to deal with the problems I have experienced. JMO.
    Your pictures are quite illustrative. Thanks.

One suggestion. Try using a safety pin to stage your revolver up between 1/4 to 1/2 so that the hammer is out of the pocket but still has holster cloth between you and it. See how I stage the spare magazine in my SmartCarry picture.

On a second look, I think you have the medium size. Is there a small that might work better? I'd still try the safety pin experiment.
    Howard
    I carry a gun because I can't carry a cop!!
    Politically Incorrect Self Defense

Crestliner- you either need a smaller holster or pack some cloth into the holster so that the gun rides higher. As Howard state the safety pin solution works but I have found a piece of cloth works better.

I have one.
    G191989 likes this.

Thanks for the suggestions folks! I think I will try that. I'm partial to revolvers with hammers btw, so hammerless just isn't an option for me. Safety pin! Geeze! Why didn't I think of that! Also, this is the smallest holster size made by Thunderwear. The "M" for medium is for the waist size.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Locopelli View Post
    Crestliner- you either need a smaller holster or pack some cloth into the holster so that the gun rides higher. As Howard state the safety pin solution works but I have found a piece of cloth works better.
    The weapon side fits mine out of the box. However, I did pack some cloth on the weak side to keep the Mag up where I can find it w/o digging.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

VIP Member
    Good for a BUG... Wouldn't want to use a big gun with it. I carry a 642 in my Smartcarry....

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HowardCohodas View Post
    Two differences between ThunderWare and SmartCarry are first, the dividing line between pouches is asymetric in the SmartCarry making it easier to carry a full size auto with adaquate room for a spare magazine. Second, the internal seams on the SmartCarry are built so that they eliminate snagging. The M&P is hammerless so I can't comment on that. But I've never snagged on either the SmartCarry or my clothes with the significant beavertail on the M&P.

See picture in an earlier post on this thread.
    My 642 snags sometimes on the SMartcarry and it's hammerless. I put a safety pin on it to bring the gun up a bit and it helped alot.

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu View Post
    I can see the necessity for such a holster for many, and I can't argue that many of those users find the holster comfortable.

But regardless of how strict I am with using the safety between my ears, I can't get over the muzzle of my gun being that intimate with my twig and berries.

Maybe it's just me.

-JT
    I can't for the life of me figure out why people keep saying this...your muzzle does not point at your 'twig and berries'...I would be more afraid of pocket carrying and having the muzzle pointed at your femoral artery...which I guarantee is bigger than your 'twig' and MUCH more important than your berries.
    bottom line...keep your finger off the trigger and the gun won't go off...unless your twig has a green stick fx.
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    Couple comments.

Comparing times between and ITP or OTB holster against a SmartCarry is like saying, ok lets compare times between my ITP and my USPSA Speed Rig. Gee apples and oranges. I think a Dodge Charger is a fast patrol car, but gee a Ferrari would be faster. Not many Ferraris on patrol out there.

Deep concealment is designed for situations or for reasons when an untucked shirt, or cover garment would be inpractical. A business man who dosent take off his coat during the work day would draw attention to himself, or in some settings and untucked shirt would equeal carreer suicide.

Comfort. Alot goes into this. I'm wearing a pair of 33 waist pants right now, but there snug, a SmartCarry would be a bad idea (so would an ITP by the way). If you wear it right, and your pants arnt to tight, you can conceal a full size duty weapon in one easily, I've done it for days and weeks on end (working 20+ hour days).

Acidential Discharge: Yep been there done that, thankfully it was with an airsoft Glock and I made a stupid mistake and paid for it. Trigger finger control is paramount and if you loose it just for an instant it will cost ya. Luckly for me, all it took was a frozen bag of peas for a couple hours.

Ok back to my box.
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Links