Not So Smart Carry - Page 4

Not So Smart Carry

This is a discussion on Not So Smart Carry within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Already had a vacetomy that put me down for a month. No way in h*** I'm pointing my SA Champion with Win. Ranger LE's pointing ...

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Not So Smart Carry

Senior Member Array Sportsterguy's Avatar
    Already had a vacetomy that put me down for a month. No way in h*** I'm pointing my SA Champion with Win. Ranger LE's pointing at the jewels.
    Sportsterguy-NRA Life Member

Molon Labe!

Join the NRA today, or don't complain when your guns are taken away!

Administrator

Question

I am just wondering how many people who carry in a SmartCarry or any other Down In The Pants rig really need to carry that deeply?

Some do but, for sure but, not all do.

Am I the only one that thinks the fact that the draw times are so doggone slow that it totally negates their practical usefulness for concealed carry unless a person truly needs really DEEP concealment?
    Then (of course) the extreme compromise would be necessary.

Personally I'd opt for a lightweight J-Frame in a high quality ankle rig before I'd ever even consider a SmartCarry.

It would be more comfortable and the draw time would quicker from a doggone ankle rig.

And yes, I have tried one (out of curiosity) and it sure didn't work for me. I ended up dumping it cheap on Ebay which brings me to another question which is:
    Who would buy a used SmartCarry?
    Somebody bought mine though for.

I know from reading on DefensiveCarry and some other forums that some folks choose the SmartCarry and ThunderWear and they honestly don't need to carry that deep.

Buy one if you really absolutely need ultra~deep concealment.

Otherwise choose a good OWB or IWB rig and add a good gun belt.

Just my personal opinion on SmartCarry.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Senior Member Array bluelineman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    I am just wondering how many people who carry in a SmartCarry or any other Down In The Pants rig really need to carry that deeply?

I had mine sitting around for 6+ months, letting it get dusty. I have recently taken up running and found that it works well for concealment with athletic shorts & a t shirt. Otherwise, I have found better concealment methods for my needs.

I think it would also work well for those people who want 1 holster that does it all & are not willing to compromise their choice of clothing.

Senior Member Array HowardCohodas's Avatar

Help me evaluate my situation. What would you consider proper needs to carry deeply?

Am I the only one that thinks the fact that the draw times are so doggone slow that it totally negates their practical usefulness for concealed carry unless a person truly needs really DEEP concealment?
    Some advocates report draw times comparable with IWB holsters with tucked shirts. I can't comment on the veracity of this observation since the SmartCarry is my only concealed carry experience. I do use an OWB Blade-Tech for IDPA and USPSA, but I don't considerable that relavent. What I can state with authority is that draw times have dramatically reduced with practice.

And yes, I have tried one (out of curiosity) and it sure didn't work for me. I ended up dumping it cheap on Ebay which brings me to another question which is:
    It took me nearly 3 weeks to get comfortable and develop effective technique with my SmartCarry. They have a 60-day try-it policy if you buy it directly from them. I'm sorry you missed out on a full refund.

I know from reading on DefensiveCarry and some other forums that some folks choose the SmartCarry and ThunderWear and they honestly don't need to carry that deep.
    Please cite some examples so I can better evaluate my own decisions. From your post count you have obviously been observant and active.
    Howard
    I carry a gun because I can't carry a cop!!
    Politically Incorrect Self Defense

How many sizes up from your regular size do you have to wear to comfortably conceal with a smartcarry? I tried a smartcarry as my first concealment holster. I thought it was good idea and really wanted it to work but I ended up selling it because I could not get it to work. I wear 32-34 "(depending on the brand)pants that fit perfectly, some are even on the tight side and even with a Keltec PF-9 it looked like I had, even for the luckiest a guy a WAYYY bigger than natural bulge. I made the decision that I woudl much rather take the chance of someone getting an accidental glimpse of my gun in a IWB rather than get a glimpse of my crotch and think I was a sexual deviant.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by XD9mm View Post
    How many sizes up from your regular size do you have to wear to comfortably conceal with a smartcarry?
    For me, 1 increased size at the most, and sometimes not even that if the pants were a bit loose to start with. If you're printing with a Keltec PF-9 and SmartCarry, then you must have fairly tight pants, probably too tight to be successful with a SmartCarry.

I find the type of pants is more important than the waist size. For example, loosely constructed pants like Dockers, etc., have a natural bulge in front, whereas dress pants of thin material probably wouldn't work for me even a couple sizes too big.

My gun prints more when I wear it in the traditional way, so I use a dual holster and place the gun in the holster farthest from my strong hand. That places any lump in my pants more directly on centerline than nearer my strong-hand pocket. Often the lump is totally hidden by the natural bulge of the material on centerline. If the bulge is off-center a bit and still shows, then maybe I need to iron an iron-on patch inside of the pants where the grip hits the pants.

I don't tuck a lot, so it's not an every-day issue for me for the grip to be totally hidden. But it doesn't take much of a shirt overhang to hide any small grip-bump that appears. If I had to tuck a lot, I probably wouldn't carry my XD-45 compact. I'd probably revert to my XD-9 subcompact, make good pant choices, and get a few iron-on patches for inside the pants.

Then (of course) the extreme compromise would be necessary.

Personally I'd opt for a lightweight J-Frame in a high quality ankle rig before I'd ever even consider a SmartCarry.

It would be more comfortable and the draw time would quicker from a doggone ankle rig.

Somebody bought mine though for.

Buy one if you really absolutely need ultra~deep concealment.

Otherwise choose a good OWB or IWB rig and add a good gun belt.

Just my personal opinion on SmartCarry.
    While I am a part-time user and fan of the SmartCarry, I totally agree with this evaluation. When I bought mine I was working where getting caught with even a pocket knife could get you fired on the spot, while a gun was an absolute guarantee that you'd get fired. I also was out in public with money on me (company money) and know 3 different guys that got robbed during the time I worked there. I had been carrying for many years off the job, but decided after the last guy got robbed and almost killed with a cinder-block to the head, that the rules be damned, and I started looking for a way to carry on the job that was unlikely to get me caught. Enter SmartCarry. It worked great and I never worked another unarmed day at that job until I finally left it last January.

Now, there are comfort issues with the rig, no doubt, but I find that to be the case with every single carry method I've ever tried, which is most methods. The SmartCarry isn't as uncomfortable as my IWB holsters.

There are also accessibility issues, but as others have said, practice gets you at least to the point of being in the neighborhood of drawing from a tucked IWB holster. I use a Crossbreed for my RAMI and a tuckable Raven with my .45, so I'm going off of personal experience with both systems here. I've never timed either method, but I'd be real surprised if my draw from the SC was more than a couple of tenths of a second either way than with the tucked IWB rigs.

The only accessibility problem I could not figure out how to overcome to where I was confident that I could get to the gun "in time" was while driving. Some variables might have made it slightly easier, like if I lost 20 or 30 pounds so I didn't have to move my gut out of the way to even attempt a draw while sitting, but in even the best possible set of circumstances, I would've never felt really confident in my ability to draw while sitting behind the wheel.

But like QKShooter said, the only time it makes any sense is when very deep concealment is an absolute necessity. Since it's not necessary for me anymore, I haven't strapped the thing on since leaving that job, and might not ever again. It hangs on my bedpost now holding a flashlight and two extra magazines. It's real easy to draw from it there, no matter what position I'm in!

Blues
    "A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." -- George Washington

Senior Member Array HowardCohodas's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesStringer View Post
    The only accessibility problem I could not figure out how to overcome to where I was confident that I could get to the gun "in time" was while driving. Some variables might have made it slightly easier, like if I lost 20 or 30 pounds so I didn't have to move my gut out of the way to even attempt a draw while sitting, but in even the best possible set of circumstances, I would've never felt really confident in my ability to draw while sitting behind the wheel.
    I also have difficulty drawing effectively while driving. The degree of difficulty depends on the seat/seat belt configuration of the automobile. In my Trailblazer I don't have much of a problem. In my wife's Camry, I have a big problem. My solution was to add a Universal ClipDraw to my M&P. While driving, I carry at 10 o'clock for a crossdraw. The spare magazine (extended 14-round) remains in the SmartCarry. Reholstering in the SmartCarry before I exit the auto took some practice to perfect.

M&P 45 (full size) with ClipDraw

M&P 45 (full size) with ClipDraw in SmartCarry

Howard
    I carry a gun because I can't carry a cop!!
    Politically Incorrect Self Defense

VIP Member
    I agree with Fed, too many people are concerned with draw times.
    Look, the SmartCarry is not manufactured to be used in a dual where you are trying to out draw the other guy. Their product info even says so. The SmartCarry is for deep concealment or for when other forms of concealment aren't available or possible.
    You have to know that using it won't give you a fast draw time. IMO, if you're encountered in a situation that you feel you have to draw like a western gunslinger, you need to get cover before you draw anyway. That will allow you to draw more easily.
    I use a SmartCarry with my HK and G30 only when I have no other option available (such as with a couple of pairs of dress pants I have that don't allow room for IWB, or if I'm wearing athletic shorts). My wife uses a SmartCarry when she goes walking (herself or the dog lol). You have to practice with it ahead of time and you have to know you won't have a blazing fast draw.
    edit: You also have to practice, practice, practice.....just as you would with other forms of carry, finger off the trigger until you're on target to fire
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

I carry a Kel-Tec P-3AT with ArmaLaser and two spare mags. loaded with a mix of expanding and non-expanding ammo in a SmartCarry holster 24/7. I am 6'-0", 235 lbs.

I donít even think about it most of the time. Itís no more strange or uncomfortable than the change in my pocket.

I got this combination for a few reasons. Two of the main ones are;
    First, I wanted something I could carry comfortably and completely concealed 24/7.
    Second, my wife is uncomfortable around guns and I didnít want her uncomfortable around me. Even she hasnít ďmade meĒ yet and I have been carrying this way since January 2006.

Update - In November of 2007 my wife asked me where I was keeping the gun (just in case she needed it). I said, ďAs long youíre with me and Iím not using it, you can have it anytime, as soon as you go to the range with me and show me you can shoot and handle it safelyĒ! - this hasnít happened yet. Then I told her and showed her where Iíd been carrying it for over a year and a half. I was concerned, wondering what her reaction would be. She was surprised, but made no negative comments. She asked if I carried it when visiting friends, shopping, etc. I told her I ALWAYS carry it where it is legal. She hasnít questioned me about it since.

The SmartCarry size I have is the ďXSLĒ security model as shown in the large photo on this web page:
    Laser Aimers for concealed carry

If I ever reorder I will get the ďXSLĒ standard holster with the smaller pocket on the left as shown in the photo above the one that shows my holster.

Even though I think one spare mag is enough, I carry two spare mags because there is plenty of room for them in the holster I have with the larger spare pocket. I find that this holster is a bit too wide so I tuck the extra holster material under the mags when Iím wearing it (which is 24/7/365). This makes it just the right size.

I wear the holster low, with the strap around my upper hips, just below the waist, and the pockets centered between my thighs.

If you want to wear skin-tight jeans the SmartCarry is not for you. I wear loose Docker type pants, with a loose waist and suspenders with untucked shirts. This allows a reasonably fast three-step draw (more on this later). Because I buy pants with a waist one size larger than I would for belt use, the crotch is also a bit roomier which eliminates the problem some folks have with the SmartCarry riding up and pushing into the abdomen when sitting due to the tighter crotch. The larger waist and extra room in the crotch also allows for faster, smoother draw.

There is no problem sitting with crossed legs.

As to the drawÖ

Lift the hem of the shirt high up on your chest with your strong hand. As the shirt moves up suck in your gut and hook your waistband with your weak hand thumb and pull the waistband forward leaving plenty of room to reach in and draw with your strong hand. This takes some practice, but itís faster than it sounds. I can consistently draw and have my first round on target in 1.5 seconds or less. You can even do it easily sitting down, not as fast, but youíd be surprised. It even works in a car with the seat belt on as long as your untucked shirt is over and not under the seat belt. In the car you draw exactly the same way, the only difference is that the seat belt moves forward a bit with your waistband. If you prefer a tucked shirt, just skip the "lift up the shirt" step.

How it looks untucked and "tucked":

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other"
    ~John Adams

Here I am with a XD40SC in a smart carry. I wear one size bigger pants. You can hide it easily and comfortably if you dress around the gun. If you like to wear your pants tight, you are out of luck.

Remember you dress around the gun,

steve

Quote Originally Posted by CR2008 View Post
    Personally, I want to see a video where the user draws from the smart carry holster, and compare the times to that of a OWB/IWB or a pocket holster.
    One user here claimed it took him 2seconds, and it sounds as if he is satisfied with that, but 2seconds to me sounds to long.
    The SmartCarry is not designed to be a quick draw holster. It is a deep concealment rig for when you need a gun and this is the only way you can conceal it.

I have one and I carry my Taurus PT-111 in it. It completely disappears. I can still get to it, but it is not a fast draw. But I'd rather have it and have a slower draw than not have it at all.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    The SmartCarry is not designed to be a quick draw holster. It is a deep concealment rig for when you need a gun and this is the only way you can conceal it.

I have one and I carry my Taurus PT-111 in it. It completely disappears. I can still get to it, but it is not a fast draw. But I'd rather have it and have a slower draw than not have it at all.
    Do you also take 2 seconds to draw like another poster here? It takes me less than a second (probably around 3/4sec) to draw from a IWB holster, and certainly less than 2seconds from a pocket holster (a little bit over a second on average.)
    http://www.bloombergfightbackfund.com/
    Sig P220R/Sig P239 (9mm)/ S&W 640/ Ruger Single Six Hunter (.22LR/Mag)/ CZ 452 Varmint .22LR/ Lee Enfield No4 MK2 sporterized dated 1959/ Mosin Nagant M90-30 dated 1942/

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CR2008 View Post
    Do you also take 2 seconds to draw like another poster here? It takes me less than a second (probably around 3/4sec) to draw from a IWB holster, and certainly less than 2seconds from a pocket holster (a little bit over a second on average.)
    Ever done it when your life was truly on the line? Had the stress of knowing that someone has the means, opotunity and intent to end your life or cause you serious bodily harm? (Not really wanting an answer just wanting you to chew on it).

It does make a difference. Your stress level goes up and your fine motor skills drop and unless you train (and I mean seriously train) getting it out of any concealed position is dificult.

I can get my weapon out of a smartcarry/thunderwear or a t-shirt holster and put rounds on target in under a second and do it often. My airsoft replica of my carry weapon was bought just for that purpose. But it takes practice.

That said, most incidents (in the mid 90%s) the armed person will have advance warning of an upcomming incident so a two or five second draw isnt a problem, but training for under 1 second is critical and can be done with deep concealed rigs (much faster than the use of an ankle rig and without the issues associated with pocket carry).

Its a tool in your toolbox, not the only one. I dont work on my Harley with one screwdriver, and I dont carry my weapon in only one holster. Much to the dismay of my wife, a recently issued duty weapon change resulted in the purchase of five different holsters to prepare it for duty (and that wasnt paid for by the govt, it came outta my pockets). One of the holsters bought was a SmartCarry.
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

Modifications

Re: Kahr PM9 (9093N

I am concerned with hot weather (Arkansas and Texas) and leg irritation (I read someone who said they had problems with one of the models). I figure that less material resting against the body would mean less discomfort in hot humid weather and less opportunity for the holster to rub against the leg. Also, my thought was that not having the gun extend above the rear panel backing would reduce the amount of sweat that can get on the handle and back of the gun (this may slow down the draw speed, but it is something I can accept).

I asked SmartCarry if they could make me a custom holster for a right hand draw, no security pocket, and no magazine holder. Basically, a single holster centered between the straps. Charlie said, "
    No, because there is absolutely nothing at all to be gained in either comfort or concealment."

Would users of the SmartCarry please advise me about my concerns. I am going to contact another vendor to see what they think.

Thanks.

Mike

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links