Not So Smart Carry - Page 5

Not So Smart Carry

This is a discussion on Not So Smart Carry within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by MikeV99 Re: Kahr PM9 (9093N I am concerned with hot weather (Arkansas and Texas) and leg irritation (I read someone who said ...

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Not So Smart Carry

Quote Originally Posted by MikeV99 View Post
    Re: Kahr PM9 (9093N

I am concerned with hot weather (Arkansas and Texas) and leg irritation (I read someone who said they had problems with one of the models). I figure that less material resting against the body would mean less discomfort in hot humid weather and less opportunity for the holster to rub against the leg. Also, my thought was that not having the gun extend above the rear panel backing would reduce the amount of sweat that can get on the handle and back of the gun (this may slow down the draw speed, but it is something I can accept).

I asked SmartCarry if they could make me a custom holster for a right hand draw, no security pocket, and no magazine holder. Basically, a single holster centered between the straps. Charlie said, "
    No, because there is absolutely nothing at all to be gained in either comfort or concealment."

Would users of the SmartCarry please advise me about my concerns. I am going to contact another vendor to see what they think.

Thanks.

Mike
    Doesn't smartcarry offer a 30 day trial or something? I use one everyday, in hot weather it's great. When I bought my holster from smartcarry they were very busy at the time, maybe they just don't have the time to make customs. I kinda agree with charlie, there doesn't seem to be much to gain.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Personally I'd opt for a lightweight J-Frame in a high quality ankle rig before I'd ever even consider a SmartCarry.

It would be more comfortable and the draw time would quicker from a doggone ankle rig.

I tried Thunderwear with my 442 and found it to be more comfortable than expected, but I opt for an Ankle Glove.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

smartcarry is also great for when you just wear shorts and a tee shirt

The other day i strapped on my smart carry with a MP .40c and two magazines. I wore it for about 12 hours. Some of the things i did.

Rode my motorcycle 45 miles
    Drove my car 45 miles
    Visited friends
    Sat around at home.

I totally disagree with the original poster. I find the holster supremely comfortable. I will admit that i wear pants that are about 2-3 sizes bigger. Its a no go with tight fit clothes.

Senior Member Array HowardCohodas's Avatar
    I am concerned with hot weather (Arkansas and Texas) and leg irritation (I read someone who said they had problems with one of the models). I figure that less material resting against the body would mean less discomfort in hot humid weather and less opportunity for the holster to rub against the leg. Also, my thought was that not having the gun extend above the rear panel backing would reduce the amount of sweat that can get on the handle and back of the gun (this may slow down the draw speed, but it is something I can accept).
    Very little of the SmartCarry is directly on skin and I have a large version of SmartCarry. The SmartCarry has a moisture barrier on the back side. Additionally, at the top where the grip may extend above the SmartCarry there are two layers of clothes. Underwear plus tucked in shirt.

I'd recommend that you take them up on their 60-day try-it offer.
    Howard
    I carry a gun because I can't carry a cop!!
    Politically Incorrect Self Defense

I wear a smartcarry 4 - 6 days / week when I workout at about 50 minutes to 75 minutes each workout. I am a sweater and my clothes are practically drenched by end of workout. Smartcarry and the 642 and I have not had problems. The sweatbarrier works pretty well.

Re: Kahr PM9 (9093N

I am concerned with hot weather (Arkansas and Texas) and leg irritation (I read someone who said they had problems with one of the models). I figure that less material resting against the body would mean less discomfort in hot humid weather and less opportunity for the holster to rub against the leg.
    It might depend partially on what type of underwear you wear, and how tight your pants are. Boxers should shield most or all the contact with the SmartCarry, while briefs wouldn't. If you are going without underwear, perhaps the SC is not for you. Loose pants will also result in more comfort, in my experience.

I recently started jogging while wearing a SmartCarry, and I have found no issue with leg irritation. I don't wear tight running shorts, so maybe that helps. I use a dual-holster SC and carry one large and one medium gun while running.

Also, my thought was that not having the gun extend above the rear panel backing would reduce the amount of sweat that can get on the handle and back of the gun (this may slow down the draw speed, but it is something I can accept).
    My XD-45 extends above the top of the SC by about 1/2", but it's really not an issue for me. It contacts either my underwear or any tucked in shirt I have on. The gun does not come in contact with my skin. Note: I did order a large SmartCarry since at the time I wasn't sure if I would buy a 4" XD or a 5" XD, with the 4" (what I ended up buying) correlating to a medium SmartCarry according to Charlie. I'm glad I have the large SmartCarry. It seems to hold the grip closer to my body. If you try one and your gun sticks up too far above the top, you might consider trying a larger holster size. If it ends up being too deep, you can always stuff a rag in the bottom of it to keep your gun at a proper height.

Concerning sweat, that can be an issue if you are wearing it for a long time in hot weather. To help keep my guns dry while jogging for an hour at a time, I cut out a panel from a plastic milk jug the size and shape of the security pouch. I insert the plastic panel in the security pouch and place my wallet and keys on the dry side of the plastic. It helps, but even before I used the plastic, my guns might only be a little moist at times. Yes, I have a bulge down there with all that stuff, but I wear a loose and long running shirt. No one notices, and if they did, I wouldn't care.

I asked SmartCarry if they could make me a custom holster for a right hand draw, no security pocket, and no magazine holder. Basically, a single holster centered between the straps. Charlie said, "
    No, because there is absolutely nothing at all to be gained in either comfort or concealment."
    Charlie is probably right, but if the width of the holster did bother you, you could modify it.

Would users of the SmartCarry please advise me about my concerns. I am going to contact another vendor to see what they think.
    Charlie has a good return policy--you can return it for a full refund with no cost other than shipping.

The SmartCarry may not be for you. It doesn't work for everyone. It works great for me in many situations.

Good luck.

My thanks to all that offered their experience and advice. I have recently been trying out a similar type holster that I have had laying around for 10 years or so. It is a no brand holster, appears to be a nylon material, that I think I bought at a gun show. I like the way it works, but the nylon is hot. I carry just my gun, so the magazine pocket is not needed. My experience with that no brand holster led me to think about what modification could be made to make it cooler and more comfortable for me. I normally wear briefs. In the hot weather I will not wear an undershirt and may not tuck in my outer shirt.

Based on the comments here, the SmartCarry may not to have the issues that concern me. If I get a little larger SC, that should resolve the concern about the upper part of the gun being against skin.

I am curious about this comment: but even before I used the plastic, my guns might only be a little moist at times. I thought the SC was water proof, All SmartCarry® concealed carry holsters have a patented 100% water proof rear panel due to the incorporation of Cushmax®'s into the holster's rear panel. That page does go to discuss the issue of capillary action.

I guess I need to order one and test it. I just thought that my design changes would make it even better.

Thanks all.

Mike

I am curious about this comment: but even before I used the plastic, my guns might only be a little moist at times. I thought the SC was water proof, All SmartCarry® concealed carry holsters have a patented 100% water proof rear panel due to the incorporation of Cushmax®'s into the holster's rear panel. That page does go to discuss the issue of capillary action.
    What caused my guns to be a little moist was me running in 95-degree heat for 5 miles, on hilly terrain. Everywhere else on my body was soaked with sweat, but the side of my guns toward my body had only a little moisture on them.

I know, I know--my doctor harrassed me also about running in that kind of temp... but it does wonders for the waistline... if you survive.

Another time I needed the extra barrier was when I mowed with a push mini brush-hog for 4 hours straight in 90-degree weather. Again, probably not typical behavior.

I don't think any type of fabric, other than perhaps the tightest weave possible, would keep out all moisture under either of those conditions. If I didn't participate in intense outdoor exercise and work, I wouldn't consider adding the plastic sheet.

Don't let my experience of an almost dry gun, when the rest of me was soaking wet, color your opinion of the SmartCarry. It does its job as advertised, if not better.

I understand your hesitation to spend a chunk on something you aren't sure about. I'm in that situation every time I think about ordering a new product. But you can't go wrong with Charlie's return policy.

Again, good luck on finding a holster (or holsters) that will fit your needs.

P.S. You may indeed make some modifications that make a SmartCarry more to your liking. I did.

Thanks.

Charlie at SmartCarry was very helpful. Most impressed with his attitude and willingness to work with his customers. I have one on order.

I appreciate the feedback and advice received on this thread.

Mike

Thanks.

Charlie at SmartCarry was very helpful. Most impressed with his attitude and willingness to work with his customers. I have one on order.

Mike
    Great! Hope it works out.

Yep, that sounds like Charlie.

Thanks.

Mike
    Mike, I'm a little late to this thread, and there has been a lot of great advice and testimonial given by Grady and everyone else, but I'd like to throw my two cents in also. I have two SmartCarry holsters, one for my P-3AT and one for my PT 145 Millennium Pro. I've also carried a P-11(9mm) in one. I also have an IWB for each of my pistols, but ya know, I haven't found anything more comfortable and more concealable than my SmartCarry's. I work at a job where I wear slacks, tucked in shirt and a tie 5 days a week...and I have an average of 150-200 pairs of eyeballs looking at me everyday, and have never been made. In my line of work, I get bumped and jostled quite frequently and I would have been made a long time ago if I had been wearing my IWB's. Let's talk a little about drawing, well when I started out, drawing from my SC was disastrous! But as the saying goes, practice makes perfect and I had to do a lot of practicing. I learned that I needed to wear the holster properly for my build, that was a big key. I learned to keep the front of my shirt tucked in and adjusted. For the first two months I would make 5 practice draws each night before taking the holster off. Drawing from behind the wheel of my car was a joke, but after going out and experimenting, with an unloaded gun obviously, I discovered how to do it rather quickly, all it takes is a little practice and thinking. Now once a week i go through the same routine, and honestly outside the car I can draw and do a triple tap in around 2-3 seconds, the car is a little slower, but I'm not cussing and yelling as I'm trying to draw my weapon. I live in the desert, where it's 110 degrees as I'm sitting here at 6:32 pm, I've been outside most of the day and my PT 145 is as dry as a bone. I don't think this holster is for everyone, but it's a hundred times better than an ankle holster. Now just a little bit about negligent discharges, or accidental discharges, if you want to call them that. My .380 & 9mm are both DAO, but the SC when you have the proper size for you gun completely covers the trigger guard. I've purposefully tried (once again, with an unloaded cocked pistol) to pull the trigger or get my weapon to discharge while carrying, as hard as I tried, I could not get it to happen. My PT 145 is SA/DA, still couldn't get it to happen with it. I agree with one of the other poster's that if while drawing you put your finger in the trigger guard you've got an excellent chance of having a negligent discharge, but the same goes for any other holster you would use! Comfort? Most of the time I honestly forget that I have my P3-AT with me. My .45 is the same way most of the time, I've driven hundreds of miles with both and have had no difficulties at all. I guess the bottom line is if you wear jeans or slacks that don't make you look like you're wearing ballerina tights and you are willing to wear the holster long enough to become familiar with it, you'll be able to move, shoot, and communicate with the best of them. There, that's why SC is my 99% of the time carry holster, but other's mileage may vary.
    The first time you aren't armed and prepared may be the last time you wished you were.

Quote Originally Posted by Fmr18z View Post
    Mike, I'm a little late to this thread, and there has been a lot of great advice and testimonial given by Grady and everyone else, but I'd like to throw my two cents in also.
    [snip]
    There, that's why SC is my 99% of the time carry holster, but other's mileage may vary.
    Very complete report. Thank you very much. My SC is due to ship soon. Thanks,

Mike

I ordered my smartcarry today, I can't wait. I need something I can deep conceal while working. I have to work with my shirt tucked in and I think this will be the best method.

Quote Originally Posted by Glock19Dude View Post
    I ordered my smartcarry today, I can't wait. I need something I can deep conceal while working. I have to work with my shirt tucked in and I think this will be the best method.
    I think you'll be happy with your choice. One additional thing I've done with my SmartCarry's that makes them more efficient and effective is I have taken the strongest industrial thread I could find and have sewn a seam around the side and bottom of my spare mag, so when it's in the holster magazine compartment it will stay exactly where I want it to be and helps speed up my magazine change. If you want to do this, you might want to experiment on height and position by first using safety pins to check for the proper location and height. With my P3-AT SC holster, I've also done the same thing with both the pistol and the spare mag. Check your Glock, it may not need any adjustments with the size of holster Charley will send you, I didn't need to do anything with my PT 145 Pro either.
    The first time you aren't armed and prepared may be the last time you wished you were.

Sponsored Links