Defensive Carry banner

Not So Smart Carry

91K views 146 replies 97 participants last post by  spclopr8tr 
#1 ·
OK now that I have your attention , here we go . I don't get the whole "smart carry " thing ??? Hundreds of you use these holsters or claim you do but I tried one on and it's not comfortable at all . Plus does anyone know of anyone that had an AD while drawing from this "smart carry" ????? It just seems to me it's a big risk in a tense life threatning situation to draw from the front of your pants ......the gun is gonna jab you no matter how you sit or stand ....anyhow I don't get it .

#2 ·
Don't go trolling or starting flame wars, now...

I don't have a SmartCarry either. It looks like an interesting option if you really require DEEP concealment, but I agree with you, in principal, it looks like a pretty slow draw, and it would definitely require your full attention so to speak.

Like anything else, I'm sure with practice it can be pretty quick and safe. But I'd also bet that it would take more training than a more traditional holster would.

Let's hear from a few people that have one....

Peace,
Pete Zaria.

#3 ·
I find the SmartCarry very comfortable. I am currently wearing a SmartCarry with an XD-9 service. If you fail to adjust it based on the instructions I am sure it is possible to make it 'jab' you, or be uncomfortable. Or you can adjust it right, and move on.

As far as drawing. Its actually much faster than my tuckable IWB because my shirt is tucked underneath the holster rather than around it. For deep concealment and ready access, I don't think anything beats it. They also have a trial period, so if you don't like yours I'm sure you can get your money back.

As far as your AD/ND problem...keep your finger off the trigger. Turns out, if you don't pull the trigger the gun won't go off. I know, I know. It's a weird concept.

It doesn't work for everybody, but for those of us that it does work for, we sure do appreciate them.

#4 ·
I have one. It CAN be uncomfortable and hot. Usually I can wear it all day with no problem though. I find that if I wear it too high, I can get pinched, so I wear it low, meaning that I really have to dig my hand down my pants. I am not real fast with the draw, but I like my belt tight, so that is probably much of the reason. I just go into a stall to take a leak, I guess I don't have the technique to do it they way they say it can be done. That fact that I wear it low probably doesn't help, as it is much easier when it is higher up. I only wear it because it is the best way for me to conceal at work. I don't wear it when I don't have to, I prefer my IWB and pocket holsters. But it works for what it is. DEEP concealment. BTW, I am a fairly small guy, so one holster on my body covers a large area.

Reactions: gatorbait51
#6 ·
I used a smartcarry with a Keltec .380, worked very well in an office enviroment. Also a 511 tactical undershirt works verywell with a small firearm. I perfer a pocket holster. It is a matter of choice and comfort.

#7 ·

I have used a Smartcarry for somewhat over a year with little difficulty. However, it took some adjustment to get it "just right" for me. That has been true for every concealed carry outfit I have ever tried. It always took some adjustment to get it right.

Also, like every other concealed combo I have ever tried it took some concerted practice to achieve a rapid, functional draw and presentation. Once again, my experience with the Smartcarry is no different. Took some practice to get it "right".

If it doesn't work just right out of the box use a little patience and practice to get it right for you.

#9 ·
I've been using mine for almost a year. I find it much easier to use than my MTAC. I used to carry an XD45 and now carry a PT145. I pinched myself a couple of times and even called about sending it back, but I stuck with it and have grown to love it. I can now comfortably bend over and tie my shoes and lounge around the house with no problems at all. I'm sure it's not for everyone, but it certainly works well for me.

#10 ·
I wear one most of the time, now that it is getting warm.

:hand10: carry.

I found that for me (just a bit of a DunLap -- 210 @ 6 feet), it rides best just a tad to my strong side and a tad high.

The end of the grip is just behind the "watch" pocket in my Wranglers.

YMMV

#11 ·
Personally, I want to see a video where the user draws from the smart carry holster, and compare the times to that of a OWB/IWB or a pocket holster.
One user here claimed it took him 2seconds, and it sounds as if he is satisfied with that, but 2seconds to me sounds to long.

#12 ·
I use one in the summer (shorts & T-shirt) weather. I carry a J-Frame most of the time. With a little practise, it is just as fast as any other system I have used. I do not find it uncomfortable. I stand 5'11" and weigh 170lbs. I do not think it would be very comfortable with a 5", 1911. I have carried a 3", 1911 without a problem. As far as an AD/ND, keep your finger off the trigger until your on target. Re-holstering could be a problem. Best to head into a private area to re-holster.

#13 ·
The season is here for me to be using SmartCarry quite a bit. In the cooler months, a cover garment is no problem, but now I need to go with deep concealment.

It's comfortable for me, conceals well and I can draw at a speed that I'm confident in using it.

#19 ·
I can see the necessity for such a holster for many, and I can't argue that many of those users find the holster comfortable.

But regardless of how strict I am with using the safety between my ears, I can't get over the muzzle of my gun being that intimate with my twig and berries.

Maybe it's just me.

-JT

#21 ·
I can see the necessity for such a holster for many, and I can't argue that many of those users find the holster comfortable.

But regardless of how strict I am with using the safety between my ears, I can't get over the muzzle of my gun being that intimate with my twig and berries.

Maybe it's just me.

-JT
Ditto

#20 ·
I have a smart carry and consider it another tool in the box. It's specifically designed to be a deep concealment holster so you probably won't be able to keep up with someone using a race rig. That being said, with practice you can actually draw much quicker with the gun in a smart carry than you can with the gun locked up at home in the safe.

Holsters seem to be pretty personal, I read the forum to get ideas not gospel. What works for some won't work for others. My smart carry spends most of it's time in the box of holsters, but there are specific times when it meets my needs to a tee.

As others have said, proper adjustment is a must. Read the instructions and play with it. I wear mine as per the instructions but slightly off center. Before the belly got too big I used to wear it with the butt of the pistol almost under my belt buckle. That's what worked for me, I've read others who use a different placement.

My preferred carry is OWB at about 3:30. When that's not appropriate I use IWB, I really like my CrossBreed, it works well. When that method is not appropriate I go to pocket carry, then to smart carry. For me it's kind of progressive and dependent on the current situation.

Holdcard

#97 ·
I have a smart carry and consider it another tool in the box. It's specifically designed to be a deep concealment holster so you probably won't be able to keep up with someone using a race rig. That being said, with practice you can actually draw much quicker with the gun in a smart carry than you can with the gun locked up at home in the safe.

Holsters seem to be pretty personal, I read the forum to get ideas not gospel. What works for some won't work for others. My smart carry spends most of it's time in the box of holsters, but there are specific times when it meets my needs to a tee.

As others have said, proper adjustment is a must. Read the instructions and play with it. I wear mine as per the instructions but slightly off center. Before the belly got too big I used to wear it with the butt of the pistol almost under my belt buckle. That's what worked for me, I've read others who use a different placement.

My preferred carry is OWB at about 3:30. When that's not appropriate I use IWB, I really like my CrossBreed, it works well. When that method is not appropriate I go to pocket carry, then to smart carry. For me it's kind of progressive and dependent on the current situation.

Holdcard
Excellent point!!

Kev

#22 ·
I too sent mine back. To echo others: it is not for everyone but those who like really like it.

I found it just didn't do what it advertised. It was not concealable for me in the clothing I wear (even a size or two too large). I wanted to really like this holster, I spent hours trying to make it work but in the end, I returned it.

Good luck with your search!

#23 ·
I use the smartcarry about 4x/week. Either a j-frame or subcompact glock. I do this when working out at the gym. I am not fast with it like I am with strong side OWB. One negative for me is that I have to use my off hand in the draw (to pull the pants out so I can grip the gun. I do not like to be reliant upon 2 hands to complete a draw/presentation, and the smart carry requires it.

The only other time I use it is when I am lazy around the house. workout shorts and tank-top and the smart carry. Most times I put on the camp shorts and a proper OWB/IWB holster.

I have some DVD's from gunvideo with Lenny Magill (SP?) and there was a brief video clip of someone (asian gentleman) drawing from the same location as a smartcarry. He was extremely fast on the draw. He was skinny. Off hand looked like it pushed the muzzle up. strong hand grabbed the pistol and presented it.

#24 ·
I carry an M&P full size 45 with a spare 10-round magazine in a SmartCarry. The 10-round spare will soon be replaced with the 14-round extended magazine.

I can't address relative speed between the SmartCarry and other concealed methods as this is my first experience owning a pistol. As I practice my speed improves. I practice with snap caps and have never had an ND, though I fumbled once and dropped it on the rug. I backed off and began bringing increasing my speed more slowly.

The SmartCarry took me over 2 weeks to get completely comfortable with it. I was highly motivated to make it work because my wife in barely tolerant of my carrying and most of my family is opposed to the concept. They haven't asked and I haven't told. My family and social situations usually involve a lot of hugging so I was reluctant to carry anything on my waist or under my arms. I am opposed to center of back. I have been able to roughhouse, snuggle and fall asleep with my grandchildren without being detected.

Position transitioning took some practice to perfect. Thumbs inside the waistband and inside the SmartCarry when I hike my pants is discrete and effective. The only situation I was unable to solve was good access while driving in some vehicles. No problem in my Trailblazer but difficult in my wife's Camry. My solution was to add a universal ClipDraw and holster IWB at 10 o'clock when driving.

Illustrative images follow. If there concerns I have failed to cover, just ask.

The ClipDraw (and CT LaserGrip) in my M&P 45

M&P 45 plus 10-round spare magazine in SmartCarry

#26 ·
I carry a full-size .45 in a SmartCarry with spare mag, wear it everyday about 15 hours a day and my weapon is fully concealed. I use it for deep concealment and not for speed. I can't get used to an IWB, altho' I've carried w/o a holster, gun tucked into my waist, but that was also uncomfortable. I prefer a high rise hip holster, OWB, for speed, but high temperatures and humidity make it impractical for concealment. I've sacrificed some speed for concealment and comfort and I like my SmartCarry. Nice design.

#27 ·
Absolutely the most comfortable, no hassle holster I own.

Fast to put on. More than quick enough on the draw if you have reasonable situational awareness. No cover garments to fuss with. No checking or adjusting my state of cover. No worries about being disarmed by someone on my six. No problem carrying extra ammo. No limitation in clothing choices. No problems bending over to pick something up. No problem wrestling with the kids. No worries about being made.

No problems whats so ever.

It is the only holster I use anymore.

BTW- if your gun is pointing at your twig and berries, you either need a bigger gun or should call your doctor if it has been over four hours.

When properly worn, the barrel is below the T & B area. Any accidental discharge would be an issue for your toes.

Reactions: Sloman
#28 ·
As long as one is confident they can pull it out in reasonable speed (the gun, I mean), all should be well. As others have said, deep concealment holsters will never win the speed game with other holsters, but they weren't meant to. I like the idea of a shoulder holster style for deep concealment, but I've never been in a position to try anything but standard strong side IWB and OWB holsters.

-B

#30 ·
What kind of build do you guys have? I'm thinking about getting one for the summer to carry my M&P 9c. I'm just afraid since I'm a wiry 6'2"/160, it'll look like I'm packing some extra "twig" especially in khakis.

I normally use a Crossbreed, but crawling under sinks and reaching for stuff is a hassle if you're trying to keep a t-shirt in place.

#31 ·
Well I'm 6'3" and weigh 140lbs with pleated pants or blue jeans and a bloused or untucked shirt my twig doesn't turn into a tree

#32 ·
Deep concealment rig

I've used a Thunderwear rig for over 3 months now with my SP101 revolver. Very similar to the Smart Carry variation. I wear mine every waking hour of every day and everywhere I go. Here in MA, open carry is frowned upon, so you have to conceal it well in order to stay out of trouble. Two things I find disturbing about this style of holstering.

First, I practice drawing....a lot! The fabric at the seam where the revolver's hammer sits, is starting to show wear already. A disappointment, to be sure. I'm confident this rig will not last the year.

Second, again, concerned with drawing, even with daily practice, at least 1/10 draws hang - again by the hammer. This is disturbing as I never know when it will hang, even though you can free it easily enough. In an emergency, an extra second can be critical, as you can imagine.

But all in all, it is a very comfortable rig to wear and I have no problem with the position. Sometimes, if I'm wearing an untucked shirt, I will raise it high enough for the grip to be at the belt line or just a bit above. Being sufficiently concealed, yet allowing much quicker and positive access. JMO.

#33 ·
Two things I find disturbing about this style of holstering.

First, I practice drawing....a lot! The fabric at the seam where the revolver's hammer sits, is starting to show wear already. A disappointment, to be sure. I'm confident this rig will not last the year.

Second, again, concerned with drawing, even with daily practice, at least 1/10 draws hang - again by the hammer. This is disturbing as I never know when it will hang, even though you can free it easily enough. In an emergency, an extra second can be critical, as you can imagine.
Two differences between ThunderWare and SmartCarry are first, the dividing line between pouches is asymetric in the SmartCarry making it easier to carry a full size auto with adaquate room for a spare magazine. Second, the internal seams on the SmartCarry are built so that they eliminate snagging. The M&P is hammerless so I can't comment on that. But I've never snagged on either the SmartCarry or my clothes with the significant beavertail on the M&P.

See picture in an earlier post on this thread.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.