Not So Smart Carry

Not So Smart Carry

This is a discussion on Not So Smart Carry within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; OK now that I have your attention , here we go . I don't get the whole "smart carry " thing ??? Hundreds of you ...

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Not So Smart Carry

Not So Smart Carry

OK now that I have your attention , here we go . I don't get the whole "smart carry " thing ??? Hundreds of you use these holsters or claim you do but I tried one on and it's not comfortable at all . Plus does anyone know of anyone that had an AD while drawing from this "smart carry" ????? It just seems to me it's a big risk in a tense life threatning situation to draw from the front of your pants ......the gun is gonna jab you no matter how you sit or stand ....anyhow I don't get it .

Don't go trolling or starting flame wars, now...

I don't have a SmartCarry either. It looks like an interesting option if you really require DEEP concealment, but I agree with you, in principal, it looks like a pretty slow draw, and it would definitely require your full attention so to speak.

Like anything else, I'm sure with practice it can be pretty quick and safe. But I'd also bet that it would take more training than a more traditional holster would.

Let's hear from a few people that have one....

Peace,
    Pete Zaria.
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
    - Margaret Mead

"Booger Hook Off the Bang Switch" - unknown

I find the SmartCarry very comfortable. I am currently wearing a SmartCarry with an XD-9 service. If you fail to adjust it based on the instructions I am sure it is possible to make it 'jab' you, or be uncomfortable. Or you can adjust it right, and move on.

As far as drawing. Its actually much faster than my tuckable IWB because my shirt is tucked underneath the holster rather than around it. For deep concealment and ready access, I don't think anything beats it. They also have a trial period, so if you don't like yours I'm sure you can get your money back.

As far as your AD/ND problem...keep your finger off the trigger. Turns out, if you don't pull the trigger the gun won't go off. I know, I know. It's a weird concept.

It doesn't work for everybody, but for those of us that it does work for, we sure do appreciate them.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Senior Member Array MilitaryPower's Avatar
    I have one. It CAN be uncomfortable and hot. Usually I can wear it all day with no problem though. I find that if I wear it too high, I can get pinched, so I wear it low, meaning that I really have to dig my hand down my pants. I am not real fast with the draw, but I like my belt tight, so that is probably much of the reason. I just go into a stall to take a leak, I guess I don't have the technique to do it they way they say it can be done. That fact that I wear it low probably doesn't help, as it is much easier when it is higher up. I only wear it because it is the best way for me to conceal at work. I don't wear it when I don't have to, I prefer my IWB and pocket holsters. But it works for what it is. DEEP concealment. BTW, I am a fairly small guy, so one holster on my body covers a large area.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Gun control can be blamed in part for allowing 9/11 to happen.
    "Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum" (Latin)- "If you want peace, prepare for war".

Senior Member Array Ragin Cajun's Avatar
    I had tried one. It ate more nuts then the squirls at city park. I can see where it has a purpose for really deep concealment but's not for me.
    Ghost1958 and WHEC724 like this.

I used a smartcarry with a Keltec .380, worked very well in an office enviroment. Also a 511 tactical undershirt works verywell with a small firearm. I perfer a pocket holster. It is a matter of choice and comfort.
    ** NRA Life Member***

Colt Defender .45
    Kel-Tec .380

Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day.

I have used a Smartcarry for somewhat over a year with little difficulty. However, it took some adjustment to get it "just right" for me. That has been true for every concealed carry outfit I have ever tried. It always took some adjustment to get it right.

Also, like every other concealed combo I have ever tried it took some concerted practice to achieve a rapid, functional draw and presentation. Once again, my experience with the Smartcarry is no different. Took some practice to get it "right".

If it doesn't work just right out of the box use a little patience and practice to get it right for you.
    GOOD SHOOTING
    ALWAYS PROTECT YOUR VISION AND HEARING
    De gustibus non est disputandem

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Ragin Cajun View Post
    I had tried one. It ate more nuts then the squirls at city park..................
    Now, thats funny, I don't care who you are......
    G191989 likes this.
    God Bless the USA

I've been using mine for almost a year. I find it much easier to use than my MTAC. I used to carry an XD45 and now carry a PT145. I pinched myself a couple of times and even called about sending it back, but I stuck with it and have grown to love it. I can now comfortably bend over and tie my shoes and lounge around the house with no problems at all. I'm sure it's not for everyone, but it certainly works well for me.

VIP Member
    I wear one most of the time, now that it is getting warm.

carry.

I found that for me (just a bit of a DunLap -- 210 @ 6 feet), it rides best just a tad to my strong side and a tad high.

The end of the grip is just behind the "watch" pocket in my Wranglers.

YMMV
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Quote Originally Posted by 45MINK View Post
    OK now that I have your attention , here we go . I don't get the whole "smart carry " thing ??? Hundreds of you use these holsters or claim you do but I tried one on and it's not comfortable at all . Plus does anyone know of anyone that had an AD while drawing from this "smart carry" ????? It just seems to me it's a big risk in a tense life threatning situation to draw from the front of your pants ......the gun is gonna jab you no matter how you sit or stand ....anyhow I don't get it .
    Personally, I want to see a video where the user draws from the smart carry holster, and compare the times to that of a OWB/IWB or a pocket holster.
    One user here claimed it took him 2seconds, and it sounds as if he is satisfied with that, but 2seconds to me sounds to long.
    http://www.bloombergfightbackfund.com/
    Sig P220R/Sig P239 (9mm)/ S&W 640/ Ruger Single Six Hunter (.22LR/Mag)/ CZ 452 Varmint .22LR/ Lee Enfield No4 MK2 sporterized dated 1959/ Mosin Nagant M90-30 dated 1942/

I use one in the summer (shorts & T-shirt) weather. I carry a J-Frame most of the time. With a little practise, it is just as fast as any other system I have used. I do not find it uncomfortable. I stand 5'11" and weigh 170lbs. I do not think it would be very comfortable with a 5", 1911. I have carried a 3", 1911 without a problem. As far as an AD/ND, keep your finger off the trigger until your on target. Re-holstering could be a problem. Best to head into a private area to re-holster.

The season is here for me to be using SmartCarry quite a bit. In the cooler months, a cover garment is no problem, but now I need to go with deep concealment.

It's comfortable for me, conceals well and I can draw at a speed that I'm confident in using it.
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

Administrator
    Different strokes for different folks... I dont like them at all, but a lot of people do.
    "Just blame Sixto"

That Nut Comment Has To Be The Funniest Thing I've Heard In A Long Time !!!!!!!!!!!

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Links