Just made my first 2 holsters

This is a discussion on Just made my first 2 holsters within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; bottom line: you made it yourself and it works. very nicely done. the other guys have already given you plenty of good advice in terms ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Just made my first 2 holsters

bottom line: you made it yourself and it works. very nicely done. the other guys have already given you plenty of good advice in terms of looking at what the pros do, so i won't retread that stuff. i think you're doing awesome. the new 1911 holster is looking great. round some of the corners a little bot more, maybe with sand paper, and it will look even more professional.

good job man! i'm off to look up how this is done.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member

O.K. , How does a guy get started making these ???

Quote Originally Posted by MNBurl View Post
    Watch out this is how it starts Trust me on that one

One thing to also look at the new holster is to cut back the back piece of leather for the gripping of the gun and the mag release (otherwise it may pop the mag).

The new one looks very good. The originals can be modified to make them work. So keep up the good work and PM me if you have questions.
    O.K. How does a someone get started making these things?

Are there instruction books? How do you get supplies? How do you learn to stitch---with what needles, bought where?

How do you learn to mold it to fit the gun?

I'd like to try, even if it means wasting some money and effort on something that likely won't look great. But, no idea how to start.

Advice?

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    O.K. How does a someone get started making these things?

Are there instruction books? How do you get supplies? How do you learn to stitch---with what needles, bought where?

How do you learn to mold it to fit the gun?

I'd like to try, even if it means wasting some money and effort on something that likely won't look great. But, no idea how to start.

Advice?
    I started with a local Twin Cities carry forum got together at Tandy Leather location for a holster making session with a very good leather maker who runs the place. Thats where I started... The first ones were not very good but with help from other holster makers I have improved and started doing this for real part time.

Tandy had a basic kit to get you started for ~$60 which gives you the basics. I like a chisel punch and plastic mallet for hand stitching instead of the stitching awl because I like keeping the blood in my body. The needles are blunt nose type and go with thicker thread to make locking the stitches together better IMHO.

Molding the gun in the holster is very easy all in all. Two different ways to do it.

One is the wet the two pieces of leather and mold the leather around the plastic wrapped gun. Determine where to stitch based on that and then stitch it, hot tap water to wet the holster for ~10 seconds until pliable, stick the gun in and while drying keep molding around the features of the gun.

Two is to layout two pieces of leather (for pancake style) and scribe about 3/4" away from the edges of the gun. That is where you stitch. Stitch it, hot tap water to wet the holster for ~10 seconds until pliable, stick the gun in and while drying keep molding around the features of the gun.

So for about $100 to 150 you can get everything you need (single shoulder of leather, tools, dye and top coat) to make a few holsters. Once you try it you will understand that it can be challenging but fun.

Our local carry forum has about once a month get together to make holsters. We have fun. One of the guys even made a holster for his AR15 pistol (yeah it is for open carry) but it turned out great.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

VIP Member

Many thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MNBurl View Post
    I started with a local Twin Cities carry forum got together at Tandy Leather location for a holster making session with a very good leather maker who runs the place. Thats where I started... T

Many thanks.

alright..... last one I'll share I promise

all the stitching was done by hand and 2 needles. Took quite a long time and much more string than I ever thought possible (my guess is around 10 feet). Not much of a carry gun but could be great for the farm. It's a GP100 with 6 inch barrel

Looks good gicts.... you guys make me want to get started! TXBulldawg, I see you are online... you should post your 'tutorial', that is awesome!
    ---------------------------------------
    www.GeorgiaCarry.org Member
    ---------------------------------------

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links