Just made my first 2 holsters

This is a discussion on Just made my first 2 holsters within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; not perfect but a lot better than I thought I would do for my first go-around. Certainly a work in progress and found several things ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just made my first 2 holsters

not perfect but a lot better than I thought I would do for my first go-around. Certainly a work in progress and found several things I did wrong . Overall I enjoyed making them and am considering trying to do this as a job during college as opposed to 'workin for the man' Anywhoo how do you all think they turned out? I'm trying to get working on something to use for IWB clips. The small holster idk what exactly it could be used for. Started out as a play- piece, then turned into a pocket holster, and now if I can get some IWB clips....

Very nice for a first go-around, much better than I could have done. One thing I noticed was that it appears you will not be able to get a full grip on the gun because of how high the holster comes up on the grip. Possibly cut back the holster to allow a full combat grip for a quick solid draw. Just a suggestion.

They look good. Did you work of of any particular pattern? Or did you "wing it" with the design?

beyond the combat grip detroit9mm mentioned. The only other thing I noticed is the belt loop holes on the first one.... There's no way my monstrous Comp-Tac gun belt would fit through those. ;)

I've thought about giving this a shot during a week long camping trip where I'll have lots of time for things like this.
    Mindset - Tactics - Skills - Equipment
    http://www.ingunowners.com
    W9ZEB dot Org

Good eyes. I noticed that when I tried the 1911 on. Also noticed it is too long and you have to not loop a belt loop in order to put it on
    Quote Originally Posted by detroit9mm View Post
    Very nice for a first go-around, much better than I could have done. One thing I noticed was that it appears you will not be able to get a full grip on the gun because of how high the holster comes up on the grip. Possibly cut back the holster to allow a full combat grip for a quick solid draw. Just a suggestion.

I did just wing it. No template or anything, just what I could remember a holster looking like in my head. I just used the belt I had on at the moment and made it to that thickness. I hadn't thought of other belt thicknesses though, good point! It is rather easy once you have all of the tools and understand what to do and why you do it. I'm sure the fine details would take many practice runs to get down
    Quote Originally Posted by HKP30 View Post
    They look good. Did you work of of any particular pattern? Or did you "wing it" with the design?

beyond the combat grip detroit9mm mentioned. The only other thing I noticed is the belt loop holes on the first one.... There's no way my monstrous Comp-Tac gun belt would fit through those. ;)

I've thought about giving this a shot during a week long camping trip where I'll have lots of time for things like this.

making a few improvements on the next one..... boy is this addicting

I like the 1911 holster. Keep it up and in no time you'll be a pro at it.
    NRA Member

They look good and as with any skill they will only get better with practice.
    Michigan Gun Owner
    Michigan CPL Holder
    Proud Member of The NRA

Looks like a nice first effort. Change the pattern a bit so the holster offers full grip of the gun, as others have already suggested.

Administrator

You have some really good potential as far as making holsters is concerned. For sure you should stick with it.

And DITTO those who have commented above that you absolutely need to be able to get your full and proper grip on the firearm before the firearm is drawn from the holster.

Friendly and Helpful Suggestion:
    I would start looking at some rigs that are being made by some of the champion makers that have been doing it for a long time.

The reason being that they already have all the bugs worked out of what works perfectly in the way of firearm carry and proved holster design.

That does not mean that you should copy their work exactly but, certainly you will gain some great knowledge and inspiration by carefully studying their work and can save yourself a ton of initial "trial and error" by sticking close to their "tried & true" basics of incredibly perfected holster style, design, and construction.

An example would be looking at this flawless OWB rig (below) by Matt Del Fatti which should tell you to move your stitching lines in closer to the firearm and examining the profile of this MD Rig can give you some great indications of where you'll need to trim some excess material away.

Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by gicts View Post
    ...making a few improvements on the next one..... boy is this addicting

Watch out this is how it starts Trust me on that one

One thing to also look at the new holster is to cut back the back piece of leather for the gripping of the gun and the mag release (otherwise it may pop the mag).

The new one looks very good. The originals can be modified to make them work. So keep up the good work and PM me if you have questions.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

QKShooter has given excellent advice. By examining the designs by such makers you will avoid some errors, such as the "full grip" problem.

Stay with it, we can always use more really good makers, as shown by the lead times of most of the good ones.

Regards,
    Jerry

VIP Member
    Good job. I'd like to try my hand at that.

Looks like good work! Keep tweaking your designs and look at designs others have done for inspiration.
    Mine: Glock 36............Wife's: Ruger SP101 3"
    -------Ruger SR9....................Ruger SR9c
    -------S&W SW99 .45.............Charter Arms Undercover

Hidden Defense - Personal gun & holster designs/reviews.

VIP Member
    Okay boys, better get your orders in now! 6 months from now they'll be a long wait!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Sorry for not getting back on sooner. Thank you all for the comments and suggestions. Looks like I may be responsible for several homemade holster threads After making a few holsters I have come to realize that the price charged for a custom holster is a very fair and humble price Here are 2 more that I made after working to correct the mistakes made in my first 2:

This one isn't finished yet. Still needs a little straightening. Wanted to try my hand at the reinforced rim. I believe my stiching is way too far from the edge this go around. Nice tight stiching though around the gun and magazine. I'm learning

Very pleased with this 1911 holster. Stitching could be a little closer but certainly leaps and bounds better than my last.

In action- don't have a belt yet, a K&D belt and holster should be in this month. Overall it's very comfy and I'm pleased. Probably need to go with a thin jacket or something though. For reference I'm 6'1 and 180

Last edited by gicts; June 7th, 2008 at 03:15 PM.

Senior Member Array f8lranger4x4's Avatar
    nice!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links