Question re:ankle holster - Page 2

Question re:ankle holster

This is a discussion on Question re:ankle holster within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Falcon1 and Biker- Thanks for the info. I spend 90% of my day sitting behind a desk- hence the consideration of the ankle holster. I'm ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Question re:ankle holster

Falcon1 and Biker-

Thanks for the info. I spend 90% of my day sitting behind a desk- hence the consideration of the ankle holster. I'm sure a lot of women have difficulty with clothing and concealment- but given the way my clothing is tailored and my height I am having some difficulty coming up with options. In Fall/Winter/Spring I am planning on using a shoulder holster and a cardigan- since I am almost always cold anyway- it's just the height of summer that is causing me to get creative.

You may want to consider a "smartCarry". While neither it nor the ankle holster are ideal solutions, it is an option to consider.
    Earth is the insane asylum of the universe!

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by WoodLark View Post
    You may want to consider a "smartCarry". While neither it nor the ankle holster are ideal solutions, it is an option to consider.
    With Lowriders and a PPS 9mm I don't think a Smartcarry will work
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

I carry my 442 in a Galco Ankle Glove open top. I have had a Bulman ankle and sold it. Nice rig but not comfortable for me. I find the Ankle Glove to be the best one on the market. I do wear it at times without socks and it is fine.

IMO Ankle carry is the most comfortable way to carry and is fine for primary carry as long as you acknowledge it's limitations and negative aspects.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar
    Curious (noticed the avatar), is that a rebreather? An antique single stage reg? A modern Mistral? Or some other option I've not considered?

Back on topic, since you spend 90% of your day sitting at a desk, you might also want to consider an under desk mount that would allow you to transfer the weapon to the mount (quicker access) during long periods of time spent at the desk. It could be transfered discreetly (particularly from an ankle rig) once or twice a day with little bother. Just another option to consider....
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

I was watching Guns and Ammo TV when they had Todd Jarrett as a guest. They were timing his draw from concealment. I know, he's a pro- but the slowest for him was from the pocket (they did not indicate whether a pocket holster was used or not). The ankle, while still under 2 seconds, was slower than belt, fanny pack and shoulder of course. 2 seconds seemed to be the limit according to the host of the show.

Anyway, I carry my Kahr MK9 or my Glock 26 on my ankle sometimes. Usually when I'm planning on sitting a lot, like the movies, road trips, out to dinner, etc. No it's not ideal, but sometimes it's what works best for the situation or my wardrobe. I have a Disantis #44 for my Glock and a Ross Leather rig for my Kahr.
    Dave

"When among wild beasts, if they menace you, be a wild beast."
    -Herman Melville

Consider a smaller gun and pocket holster, maybe?

-JT

Quote Originally Posted by T Bone View Post
    Curious (noticed the avatar), is that a rebreather? An antique single stage reg? A modern Mistral? Or some other option I've not considered?

Back on topic, since you spend 90% of your day sitting at a desk, you might also want to consider an under desk mount that would allow you to transfer the weapon to the mount (quicker access) during long periods of time spent at the desk. It could be transfered discreetly (particularly from an ankle rig) once or twice a day with little bother. Just another option to consider....
    It's a rebreather- specifically an ISC Megalodon.

Discreetly- haha! I don't have to worry about being discreet about it in my office. Come fall it looks more like a gunsmith's shop than the construction contracting office that it is.

Also, how are the legs cut on the jeans?

Bearing in mind that I know absolutely nada about fashion and I need help from my family to get dressed, please forgive if this is a stupid question. Are they 'straight'? Boot cut? Full-blown 70's bellbottoms?

The narrower the cut, the more of a PITA it will be to access your weapon.

-JT

90% wide leg or flared leg pants. I have a few that are "boot cut"- but all are pretty wide at the hem.

Ah, no worries then.

If at all possible, try one out? If not with the carry weapon of your choice, then with a similarly sized gun.

You may feel it as the best option at the moment, due to your summer wardrobe, but if the thing feels like a manacle to you or something, it's best to know before you blow a chunk of change on one.

-JT

Quote Originally Posted by chickdiver View Post
    1. I have to have the waist on all my pants tailored or they have a huge gap - I have them tailored to my waist measurement- no extra room in there.
    Why don't you have them tailored to waist + holster? (But I'm just a guy. Maybe that's a stupid suggestion).
    -Tony

"Those who beat their guns into plowshares will plow for those who didn't." -- Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by cl00bie View Post
    Why don't you have them tailored to waist + holster? (But I'm just a guy. Maybe that's a stupid suggestion).
    In the future I probably will- but at present I own a lot of pants that aren't, and at an average cost of $130 each- I'm not willing to part with them.

Lead Moderator
    I purchase my pants with a little extra in the waist for IWB carry. Women seem to have more difficulty in concealing , due to fashion trends. The low rise jeans and tight fitting clothing tend to make CCW tough.
    Unfortunately either the fashion wardrobe suffers or your carry method does. While I find the t shirt holsters do not work for me, they might be a option for you. Something like this: 5.11 Holster Shirt V-Neck
    Last edited by Captain Crunch; June 6th, 2008 at 12:03 PM. Reason: Fixed link.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I carry a kahr PM9 in in a Galco Ankle Glove. Like yourself I sit behind a desk all day. For desk work there is nothing better. I typically wear ankle socks but prefer a longer sock when wearing the holster. It's not necessary, but is more comfortable. No chafing, but the neoprene and sheepskin tend to sweat on bare skin. The neoprene and sheepskin padding make it a very comfortable rig to wear all day.
    Being a guy I cannot comment on heels other to say that I think they look nice.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links