Question re:ankle holster

This is a discussion on Question re:ankle holster within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been looking at ankle holsters as a carry option. I was wondering if anyone has had any experience using them without socks? How about ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Question re:ankle holster

I've been looking at ankle holsters as a carry option. I was wondering if anyone has had any experience using them without socks? How about in heels?

TIA

H

Lousy way to carry a gun. You run and you've a chance of drop kicking it into parts unknown.....you need it quickly and you do the one legged chicken.....Relax and stretch out and your trousers ride up and expose the piece. You sit and again trousers ride up and expose the piece.

From a use perspective the practice is clumsy........from a concealment perspective it's 'iffy'.

As an aside, I once had a detective working for me that 'speed stroked' his j frame and put a 158 gr hp plus p thru his ankle and out his heel! Do as you will, but after three plus decades as a leo I won't.

Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar
    Not a LEO, but I do take advice of many of them. Ankle carry IS less than ideal, but it IS and option. Alessi is said to make the best in ankle holsters AFAIK. Don't know about the lack of socks. Heels? Look great. Don't have a clue how you ladies can walk in them!

Might want to check out Pax's site, Cornered Cat. Info for women who carry.

Oh, and Welcome to the Forum!
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by T Bone View Post
    Not a LEO, but I do take advice of many of them. Ankle carry IS less than ideal, but it IS and option. Alessi is said to make the best in ankle holsters AFAIK. Don't know about the lack of socks. Heels? Look great. Don't have a clue how you ladies can walk in them!

Might want to check out Pax's site, cornered cat. Info for women who carry.

Oh, and Welcome to the Forum!
    Thanks. I've already read through corneredcat.com extensively- it's helped me formulate my initial plan re:how to carry. Fall/Winter/Spring will be easier- but Summer presents some challenges since I live in (hot) Florida!

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    I carried a stainless Smith Model 60 in a padded (you gotta have padding) ankle holster for a few years when I was with the SO n Tampa. I had to adjust the way I ran. I can't remember who made the holster, but it was very secure. Thankfully, I never had to draw from the ankle holster! It's a nice concept, but I agree it's a lousy way to carry. My gun never fell out, but it sure got dirty and required more frequent cleaning than my duty sidearm. The worst part of carrying a small BUG on my ankle was the annual qualification. Shooting a 2" .38 at 25 yards good enough to be allowed to carry it meant much more practice than any other gun I had. I routinely qualified with my 4" .357 and my Combat Commander with scores of 295 to 300 out of 300. The best score I ever submitted with my BUG was a 247/300. Use this option only as a last resort. Do your self a favor - find another alternative if you can.

WELCOME TO THE FORUM!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by sniper58; June 5th, 2008 at 12:34 PM. Reason: addition
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by dogrunner View Post
    Lousy way to carry a gun. You run and you've a chance of drop kicking it into parts unknown.....you need it quickly and you do the one legged chicken.....Relax and stretch out and your trousers ride up and expose the piece. You sit and again trousers ride up and expose the piece.

From a use perspective the practice is clumsy........from a concealment perspective it's 'iffy'.

As an aside, I once had a detective working for me that 'speed stroked' his j frame and put a 158 gr hp plus p thru his ankle and out his heel! Do as you will, but after three plus decades as a leo I won't.

I've considered the ramifications.

I am a 5'2" female with an hourglass figure. I work in a casual office, so that means jeans and lightweight t shirts in the summer. I almost ALWAYS wear 2"-3.5" heels- so my jeans are all hemmed long for that. Not that ANYONE in my office would say anything if they did ride up a bit (family business- all of us are gun owners). IWB is not really an option for a couple of reasons:
    1. I have to have the waist on all my pants tailored or they have a huge gap - I have them tailored to my waist measurement- no extra room in there.
    2. I hate and refuse to wear belts.
    3. 99% of my pants are "low rise".

If you have a ~constructive~ suggestion I am willing to hear it- but if all you have are criticisms- don't waste your time or mine.

Senior Moderator
    Limatunes might be able to help you

She conceals and still manages to be fashionable (well shes pregers now so she might not be fashionable)

With your description of how you dress I think ankle carry might be your only bet. Have you looked at a shoulder holster and wearing 2 shirts?
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

I think if you carried one of the mouse guns like a keltec in .380 or 9mm something in that size you could put a grip clip on it and it wouldn't take up a lot of room IWB or pocket carry
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I'm not sure how this would work for you to carry in a purse. I'm not sure I'd like to have my gun where some one could grab it and run, but if it works for you.

1943 - 2009
    If you have a ~constructive~ suggestion I am willing to hear it- but if all you have are criticisms- don't waste your time or mine.
    When you post a question in an open forum, you have to expect a little chaff with the wheat. You are asking for opinions, after all. Dogrunner's post was not criticism, IMO.

You omitted some useful information in your question (and this is not criticism), namely, what gun do you want to carry in an ankle rig? As I'm sure you know, smaller and lighter guns are best for ankle carry. Knowing your choice of gun would be helpful.

As a LEO in a former life, I carried a S&W Model 42 in an ankle holster. Never had any problems.

An ankle holster should have a support band worn around the leg above the calf, with a strap attaching it to the holster, like this Blackhawk rig. Wear it on the inside of the ankle opposite your strong hand.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

VIP Member
    I carry either a Glock Model 30 IWB, or a Walther PPK/S in an ankle holster when clothing dictates. I know of no particular reason why high heels should cause a problem with ankle carry per se, but I must admit I wouldn't have ever worn them (being male ). As for socks, I wear them over the ankle holster as a concealment (up to the level to which they won't interfere with the draw), so since you mention your slacks are tailored long, I do not think that would be a particular issue either.

Good luck with whatever you choose, and stay safe!
    If the public are bound to yield obedience to laws to which they cannot give their approbation, they are slaves to those who make such laws and enforce them.--Samuel Adams as Candidus, Boston Gazette 20 Jan. 1772

Veteran--USA FA
    NRA Benefactor Life
    Tennessee Firearms Association Life

I carry my third gun on my ankle, never the "Primary".

Also, without socks, ankle holsters rub you and chaff. I would most definately wear socks when carrying on my ankle.

Unless you are sitting in a vehicle, or at a desk, it's a long way to reach, if you have to reach for a gun on your ankle. Also, drawing the gun from a standing position severely inhibits your mobility while drawing. I generally tend to draw as I'm moving, so it is a factor to consider to me.

Take care and stay safe.

Biker

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    Also, without socks, ankle holsters rub you and chaff. I would most definately wear socks when carrying on my ankle.
    In order to avoid this, I sewed some heavy flannel into the inside of the holster, and it stops the chafing. Some holsters come "pre-lined" with merino or other materials.
    If the public are bound to yield obedience to laws to which they cannot give their approbation, they are slaves to those who make such laws and enforce them.--Samuel Adams as Candidus, Boston Gazette 20 Jan. 1772

Veteran--USA FA
    NRA Benefactor Life
    Tennessee Firearms Association Life

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Crunch View Post
    When you post a question in an open forum, you have to expect a little chaff with the wheat. You are asking for opinions, after all. Dogrunner's post was not criticism, IMO.

You omitted some useful information in your question (and this is not criticism), namely, what gun do you want to carry in an ankle rig? As I'm sure you know, smaller and lighter guns are best for ankle carry. Knowing your choice of gun would be helpful.

As a LEO in a former life, I carried a S&W Model 42 in an ankle holster. Never had any problems.

An ankle holster should have a support band worn around the leg above the calf, with a strap attaching it to the holster, like this Blackhawk rig. Wear it on the inside of the ankle opposite your strong hand.
    Yea, I know all about what happens when you post queries on internet forums- I happen to own one on Technical SCUBA Diving.

However, I asked two specific questions, looking for specific answers- I did not ask "What do you think of ankle holsters?". He didn't address either question- just fired off at why he thought it was a dumb idea.

Regardless- I have a Walther PPS 9MM on order. That is the pistol I intend to be carrying.

Ankle rigs are not the best way to go WRT concealed carry....just my opinion gained from my own experience. Regardless, the ankle holster would have to be lined if worn without socks.

I'm male so my thoughts 'might' not be matching up with your priorities......so I offer this idea......have you looked into a small revolver or automatic carried Inside the Waistband of your pants? The right holster (especially a 'tuckable' one) will help just about any 'compact' sized handgun dissappear under a polo, blouse, or button-down shirt.

edited: just saw your post.....PPS is a good sidearm.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links