MTAC holster problem with Kahr K9

This is a discussion on MTAC holster problem with Kahr K9 within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; After reading several great reviews here of the MTAC holster I ordered one for my Kahr K9. Everything appears good and it is very comfortable. ...

Thread: MTAC holster problem with Kahr K9

MTAC holster problem with Kahr K9

After reading several great reviews here of the MTAC holster I ordered one for my Kahr K9. Everything appears good and it is very comfortable. The only problem is that the Kydex molding for the trigger guard retention is too large making it so tight that it is impossible (not just hard, actually impossible) to draw. I have loosened the screws until there is only 1/2 turn holding them in place. The only way to get the gun out while wearing the holster is to reach around my back with my opposite hand and push the molding away from the leather to release the gun. Not a realistic solution in a hostile situation. I see that another member here had a similar problem with a CTAC and a Kahr. Maybe Comp-Tac has a design problem with Kahrs. Any other experiences or suggestions?
    Last edited by GaryP; June 6th, 2008 at 10:58 AM.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array the_fallguy's Avatar
    Well, you should probably give Comp-Tac a call and see what they say about it. They have great customer service and will probably offer to replace it.

If for some reason you want to fix it yourself, holster the pistol and lay a wet cloth over everything but the trigger guard area, then hit it with a heat gun to relax the tension.
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
    Where self preservation is concerned, if you're not cheating, your not trying...

I have an MTAC for my PM9 and got the "slider" version which works for other models (P9/40 and CW9/40 IIRC). After wearing it for a day, I found the retention wasn't enough for my liking and used the provided allen key to tighten things up... which worked fine. I now have the resistance I want.

Other than tightening it up and adjusting the cant, I haven't done a thing to it. I'm liking it a lot.

Hope you find a solution!

I had some retention issues with my M-TAC when I first got it.

In the end, I think the M-TAC requires some break-in. I'd suggest you wear it around the house until it clearly molds around your body and you can see the leather molding around the firearm.

Note I did talk to Comp-TAC, and they indicated they would make it right. In the end, it turned out not to be necessary. But, worst case, let them take care of you.

-john

I have an M-Tac for my MK9 and have no problems. I did have to loosen the tension screw a little when I first got it.

I got it to were I can use it. I first separated the Kydex from the leather and used a metal file to smooth the molding. After reassembling it I used the palm of my hand to press down on the holster while forcing the gun out. It took about 50 pulls for the trigger guard to shave off enough chunks of the molding to make it smooth. It works as it should now.

I'm having the same problem with my Beretta 92. I just got the MTAC today, so I'm going to give it a week to see if it loosens up.
    "War necessarily brings with it some virtues, and great and heroic virtues too. What horrid creatures we men are, that we cannot be virtuous without murdering one another?" -John Adams

Hmmm... well, I just got my first chance to really fiddle with it (grabbed the holster on the run this afternoon). The little "dimple" inside the trigger guard completely locks it in. I don't think it's going to just work itself out... I don't know how much I want to fiddle with it with voiding warranty. I'm going to email them and see if they have any home troubleshooting options -- I'd rather not send it in, if possible.
    "War necessarily brings with it some virtues, and great and heroic virtues too. What horrid creatures we men are, that we cannot be virtuous without murdering one another?" -John Adams

Links