Holster Modification Question

Holster Modification Question

This is a discussion on Holster Modification Question within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a lined Bianchi 5HBL OWB holster for a 4" bbl. revolver. What I would like to do is cut it down to fit ...

Thread: Holster Modification Question

Question Holster Modification Question

I have a lined Bianchi 5HBL OWB holster for a 4" bbl. revolver. What I would like to do is cut it down to fit my 2" bbl. SP101. Here's what it looks like now:

My question is whether or not this is a feasible consideration? Or should I just buy a new holster? I'm pretty sure I can cut off the bottom to accommodate the shorter barrel, but it's the lining and stitching that I'm worried about. The SP fits perfectly in the cylinder area. Suggestions?
    "A voyage in search for knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

VIP Member
    Personally, I'd buy a new holster (especially if you're planning to use it for CC--that exposed-trigger design for CC concerns me a bit) rather than cut up an existing one, but YMMV.
    If the public are bound to yield obedience to laws to which they cannot give their approbation, they are slaves to those who make such laws and enforce them.--Samuel Adams as Candidus, Boston Gazette 20 Jan. 1772

Veteran--USA FA
    NRA Benefactor Life
    Tennessee Firearms Association Life

Lead Moderator
    I agree with Falcon1. The exposed trigger, along with the stitching that would fall apart unless you did some restitching , a new holster would be a better way to go.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Senior Member Array the_fallguy's Avatar
    When all is said and done, you will likely buy another holster anyhow. I would skip all the work in between and do that first. It would be a real pain to stitch the end of the holster so it doesn't separate or let the lining roll in. Also, how far down does the stitching on the tunnel loop go? Will you have to cut across that too? Between that and the exposed trigger, I would opt for a new holster. Your decision, though.
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
    Where self preservation is concerned, if you're not cheating, your not trying...

Administrator
    Well, if you get a "Rapid Rivet" or the right size Cutlery Rivet - you can drill or punch a small hole right next to the stitch where you want to cut the holster.

Then set that rivet tight making certain that the rivet head covers the stitches and then cut below that.
    That will keep the machine stitching for coming undone.

Or if you search "Saddle Stitching" instructions on the Internet - you can saddle stitch up (using the same stitching holes) from where you want to cut.
    Hand Saddle Stitch up about 5 or 6 holes (AKA start a "back-stitch") using a lock stitch and then you can cut right below where you started...no problem.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm guessing that 5HBL isn't an exact fit for your SP101 anyway so I would not do any cutting which, IMO, would ruin it for the gun that it does fit and at best give you a less than perfect fit for your SP101.

Distinguished Member Array jarhead79's Avatar
    That looks like a holster made for a Single Action revolver. Absolutely not intended for a Double Action gun.
    www.ubgholsters.com short wait times. Use 'defensivecarry' as a coupon code for a discount to your order.

Senior Member Array the_fallguy's Avatar
    Believe it or not, this is a current production Bianchi holster offered for several double action revolvers. I am sort of surprised that they still sell these, though it wasn't that long ago that you saw 1911 holsters with exposed triggers too. Different strokes for different folks, I guess.
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
    Where self preservation is concerned, if you're not cheating, your not trying...

Get a different holster that covers the trigger and dumps the thumb break. If you cut down the bottom the stitching may unravel.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Sponsored Links