Frustrated...galco holster

This is a discussion on Frustrated...galco holster within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I picked up a Galco Sysops on Saturday morning and after wearing most of the day saturday and most of the day today I can ...

Thread: Frustrated...galco holster

Frustrated...galco holster

I picked up a Galco Sysops on Saturday morning and after wearing most of the day saturday and most of the day today I can tell I really don't like the thing! Too flimsy feeling now, draw sucks, and I don't feel it's even a great fit now. (The guy at the shop was telling me it fit the best he's practically even seen a gun fit in the holster.) Which at the store it felt a little sturdier I guess, but the thing is like a wet noodle to me now.

Am I just being to quick to judge or did I just get junk leather... What's the deal?! I feel ripped off right about now :(

Any recommendations?

I didn't treat it with anything, I haven't abused it as far as I can tell. I've got a Galco F.L.E.T.C.H. and like that for a full size, so I know they make some alright stuff, but come on I'm feeling P.O.d after pending 80 on the holster itself then another 12 on a clip that would fit a belt, not the 1" thing it came with.

(Sucks, I should have just ordered a K&D or this MTAC holster I see lots of people raving about.)

What are the chances the shop will take it back?
    “It is better to be prepared for an opportunity and not have one than to have an opportunity and not be prepared.” ~ Whitney M. Young, Jr.

2. Remove Ads

If you mean the Galco Skyops I have one for the Sig P239 and also the Glock 19. The Skyops is more of a "pouch" than a form-fitted holster, and relies on the pressure from being held tightly against the body (IWB) to secure the pistol. While I like mine since it is the most "concealable" holster I own, there are two drawbacks:

1) Grip on mine seems to ride on top the belt, making a good combat grip when drawing difficult.

2) Re-holstering is difficult if not impossible for me without undoing the pants.

You can always ask the shop if they will take it back, as long as there are no signs of wear they should.

Look anything like this?
    “It is better to be prepared for an opportunity and not have one than to have an opportunity and not be prepared.” ~ Whitney M. Young, Jr.

Administrator
    Call Galco if you're not happy with one of their holsters. They will replace it.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by EMP View Post
    Any recommendations?

(Sucks, I should have just ordered a K&D or this MTAC holster I see lots of people raving about.)
    Not really fair to compare a production holster to a custom hand made holster fitted to you and your gun like what Kevin makes. My number just came up for a couple more holsters I am getting from Kevin, so my recommendation is get your money back and give K&D Holster a call. Galco makes a decent off the shelf holster but that is all they are ever going to be. Really makes no sense to have decent or acceptable when you can have great. From the sounds of it you did not even get acceptable, so why not get an excellent top quality holster for the same money
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

I've had quite a few Galco holsters in the past, and some were okay and some had that "wet noodle" syndrome fairly quickly. I think the problem, and this is only an assumption, is that due to their high volume of production they have to buy and accept a lot of leather that sometimes isn't great.

Obviously, the small custom shops can be picky and only buy the best stuff, but the big outfits probably don't have that luxury and sometimes it shows. I've seen brand new Galco holsters still on the rack that were already soft, and these were OWB holsters.

This is why I now only buy custom made leather. Since I'm not usually an impulse buyer I've learned to plan ahead a bit and for the last 2 guns I've bought I had holsters already ordered several weeks before I even had the guns.

Good luck to you and hopefully they'll let you return the holster.
    "Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!" - Patrick Henry

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar
    ARE YOU WEARING A QUALITY BELT?
    this holster relies on being held tight with a quality holster/gun belt.
    I recommend a wilderness 5 stitch or a belt man 1.5''
    the most important part of the holster rig is the belt.
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Quote Originally Posted by snowdoctor View Post
    ARE YOU WEARING A QUALITY BELT?
    this holster relies on being held tight with a quality holster/gun belt.
    I recommend a wilderness 5 stitch or a belt man 1.5''
    the most important part of the holster rig is the belt.

+1

Snowdoctor has a very good point.

The system requires 3 things, Gun, Holster, Belt.....and its only as good as the weakest link in the system. I have a skyops and used it for about a week, and it has taken a backseat to my Sparks/MTAC holsters.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

If you've come to the point that you've lost all faith in the holster, that's a point of no return. Take it back. Like QK says, Galco will take it back, but they're not in the business of handing out money, so you'll need to select another Galco product. Since you don't mention having a good gunbelt, that may be what you should opt for.

Remember, a good belt can make a mediocre holster fantastic. A sub par belt will make a fantastic holster miserable.
    "Happiness, is a warm gun" -St. John of Liverpool

Proud to be an infidel.

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    The comment about the belt is right on the mark. The Skyops holster is a specialized holster made for undercover work, and a quality gun belt is absolutely required. It really has a speciffic use and may not be right for everyday civillian carry, IMO. While I own and admire Kevin's custom work, not even he offers as concealable a holster as the Skyops.

You didn't say if this is your first IWB holster or not. Comparing any IWB to your Fletch would be fruitless. The Fletch is a very comfortable, easy draw holster. IWB carry is a different animal. I know I can't do it, it's too uncomfortable. Could the change in carry style also be a part of the problem?

While I don't have that particular Galco holster, my experience with their stuff is that it is just OK (although I really like their double layer dress belts).

I'd suggest ordering a K&D or AKJ Concealco or such holster.

The Comp Tac C-TAC is a good holster to get you by until your K&D shows up.

I didn't say M-TAC because I've found and seen other reports of the need for a break-in period on the M-TAC, where the C-TAC is ready to go out of the box.

Good luck,

-john

The only advantage to a Galco or some other mass-produced holster is that there's no wait time.

You will wait a while for a custom holster, but it will be a perfect fit to your gun and the cost will be about the same (maybe twenty or thirty bucks more, but that's about it).

As others have mentioned, it's also important to have a well-made belt.

Quote Originally Posted by Ping Ping View Post
    Like QK says, Galco will take it back, but they're not in the business of handing out money, so you'll need to select another Galco product.
    Have you had that experience with Galco? In my opinion any company that will not refund the money on a product you are dissatisfied with is less than ethical and would never see a dime of mine. So please do let us know if you have had Galco do that to you or anyone you know of. K&D Holster and most every custom maker I know of will give you back 100% of your money if you are not completely satisfied with what they make for you.

Quote Originally Posted by N-frame Smith View Post
    Obviously, the small custom shops can be picky and only buy the best stuff, but the big outfits probably don't have that luxury and sometimes it shows..
    I would think just the opposite. Leather is sold by grades, so top grade is always top grade. If any company ordered grade A+ and got some lower quality it seems they would return it for what they paid for. I know when I had my ad agency I got better prices and quality because I was a higher volume buyer than smaller shops that did not give my vendors as much business. I would assume leather suppliers are pretty much the same. But than we all know about ass-u-me-ing so I could be off there

Quote Originally Posted by ripley16 View Post
    While I own and admire Kevin's custom work, not even he offers as concealable a holster as the Skyops.
    Can you tell us which K&D holster you have that you think that is true of? I do have a Maverick Defender that IMO is not his most concealable IWB but I liked that it has a 360 degree adjustable locking cant so I can set in the perfect most comfortable position for me. Lets me draw while seat belted in my car or any other position I may find myself in. But it is hard to imagine any holster concealing better than his Chocise Defender & Dakota Defender so I am wondering which of his holsters you have that from your experience does not conceal as well as Skyops.
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    LongRider asked;
    Can you tell us which K&D holster you have that you think that is true of?
    The clip used on the Galco Skyops is the smallest that I know of, one that Kevin doesn't use. With the gun hidden under a tucked shirt, the only parts showing are the belt clips. The ones on the Skyops are much smaller, therefore the Skyops is more concealable than say the Cochise shown below. I believe I stated in my post that I find IWB unsuitable and uncomfortable. I own and use several of Kevin's OWB holsters.

FWIW; It is popular for some to flame Galco for some reason, but I must say I have never been unhappy with the fit, finish or quality of a Galco holster. Every custom holster I've purchased but one has need some adjustment. Every Galco has fit unbelievably well from day one. They aren't cheap and should fit. My current CCW rides in a Galco Concealable as did my prior CCW in a Fletch. If you buy the right holster for your gun, there's a good chance it will work well.

Because of where I live, I see many different carry styles. As far as concealing a medium frame pistol, without using a cover garment, the Skyops is without doubt one of the hardest to spot and best concealed. I'm able to see them, but only because of the tell-tale bulge that all IWB holsters produce.

Links